• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bryant To Rockies

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you just said not to pay Bryant his money? So he wouldn't have improved the team? Trading prospects is never a reasonable price vs just spending money. I am sure people said trading Ortiz for Hollins was a pretty reasonable cost as well.

I want to pay guys a fair amount, and that includes Bryant. A fair amount for Seattle surely is higher than others, but there are obviously other factors in play for Kris Bryant personally outside of getting a fair deal done with a young contending team who wants his services. Lots of guys improve this team from last year. If Bryant wouldn't come here for anything less than a laughable amount, enjoy playing for the Rockies. There will be other guys to help us. It isn't like we are only going to be better this year if Kris Bryant is a Mariner, cost be damned.

For every David Ortiz there are 2,000 Danny Hultzens.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it for any side with this. Are the Rockies worried we forgot how bad they did in yhe Arenado trade and felt we need a reminder?

Bryant just gauranteed no hall for him. Larry Walker almost didn't get in because mile high stadium, and Bryant is no Walker.

Now Rockies will still let story walk and not be competitive.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do the opposite though it messes up the lineup and for the fact I hate Correa. But if it is just the money, then just say that.
Yea Freeman is definitely the better person, but I just don’t think we need to worry about 1st base with France there. We could get Correa put him at 3rd then move Suarez to more of a bench role.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it for any side with this. Are the Rockies worried we forgot how bad they did in yhe Arenado trade and felt we need a reminder?

Bryant just gauranteed no hall for him. Larry Walker almost didn't get in because mile high stadium, and Bryant is no Walker.

Now Rockies will still let story walk and not be competitive.
I saw a report that said Bryant didn’t ask any current Rockies players or Story or Arenado what it was like playing there or how they treat their players. Bryant literally just went for the highest bidder and didn’t think about anything else.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Freeman is definitely the better person, but I just don’t think we need to worry about 1st base with France there. We could get Correa put him at 3rd then move Suarez to more of a bench role.
If Jerry can get Correa then he should be given an extension immediately.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a weird one. Something seems odd that he ends up with the Rockies of all teams. Why is he not here or in Philly? Or to another contender? Did Boras have to settle for them?

Could be the length of the contract. I don't think it's the $ per year.

I'm honestly not as upset as some of you. I think this team has been upgraded compared to last year, and this isn't an all or nothing season. There will be FAs next year too and a guy like Suarez doesn't preclude us from pursuing any of those. If you're gonna do a big money long term FA deal you better be sure of the guy you're signing. At this point, I'm not 100% sure on Bryant.
Of course there will be FA’s next year but Jerry hasn’t landed a position free agent in his career. This was suppose to be the year to massively over spend because most of the roster is still going to be paid peanuts. They had a chance to create a nice nucleus of vets so the younger guys don’t have so much pressure on them but that isn’t how it looks like it is going to play.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course there will be FA’s next year but Jerry hasn’t landed a position free agent in his career. This was suppose to be the year to massively over spend because most of the roster is still going to be paid peanuts. They had a chance to create a nice nucleus of vets so the younger guys don’t have so much pressure on them but that isn’t how it looks like it is going to play.

The only people saying this was the year to massively overspend are from behind a keyboard. What we did so far this offseason does not hinder that opportunity next offseason if there's a guy who makes this team even better. Had we spent a boat load of money on a guy this year just because it's there, that would decrease the chances of improving there next year. If there isn't a great fit, you can't just force it for the sake of raising payroll. I think Bryant in particular has been put on a pedestal around here as the heir apparent to Ken Griffey Jr.

Hanniger, Murphy, JP, Marco, Robbie Ray, Ken Giles, and Suarez have all been in the league long enough to be solid vets and most of the young guys we'll be leaning on got quite a bit of learning in last season. I don't expect France or Toro to need much pressure taken off of them. Kelenic still needs to prove himself, sure, but it's getting to sink or swim time, and he's not being expected to be the only bat carrying the team.

The bats they added have a lot of proven value, especially given what they're replacing from last year. 2B and LF were offensive black holes. Now we have a career .281/.344/.412 All Star at 2nd and an elite level RHP killer in LF. Suarez looks like an offensive Seager replacement with an even higher ceiling, but can be replaced in a year and upgraded if need be. We didn't commit to a big long term deal there, but he's also not far removed from MVP caliber hitting.

This season isn't all or nothing. I want this team to be built to compete successfully for the long term. Overpaying for a guy who isn't guaranteed to put you over the top just because the internet says this year you should is bad business.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only people saying this was the year to massively overspend are from behind a keyboard. What we did so far this offseason does not hinder that opportunity next offseason if there's a guy who makes this team even better. Had we spent a boat load of money on a guy this year just because it's there, that would decrease the chances of improving there next year. If there isn't a great fit, you can't just force it for the sake of raising payroll. I think Bryant in particular has been put on a pedestal around here as the heir apparent to Ken Griffey Jr.

Hanniger, Murphy, JP, Marco, Robbie Ray, Ken Giles, and Suarez have all been in the league long enough to be solid vets and most of the young guys we'll be leaning on got quite a bit of learning in last season. I don't expect France or Toro to need much pressure taken off of them. Kelenic still needs to prove himself, sure, but it's getting to sink or swim time, and he's not being expected to be the only bat carrying the team.

The bats they added have a lot of proven value, especially given what they're replacing from last year. 2B and LF were offensive black holes. Now we have a career .281/.344/.412 All Star at 2nd and an elite level RHP killer in LF. Suarez looks like an offensive Seager replacement with an even higher ceiling, but can be replaced in a year and upgraded if need be. We didn't commit to a big long term deal there, but he's also not far removed from MVP caliber hitting.

This season isn't all or nothing. I want this team to be built to compete successfully for the long term. Overpaying for a guy who isn't guaranteed to put you over the top just because the internet says this year you should is bad business.
But you are factually wrong with your defense. Spending this off season doesn’t prevent them from spending money in the future. This ownership group can spend as much money as any ownership group in the game and aren’t even remotely close to the tax nor would signing Bryant even inch them close to it. Again yes, there will be free agents next year but then can you at least agree that that is moving the goalposts again and is a massive punch in the gut? You are right Jerry didn’t specifically state that they were going to spend a crap load of money, but he implied the christ out of it once he started his reimagining. Covid stunted the growth so 2020 doesn’t count which literally means from his own statements they are going to be contenders. Technically he didn’t say Pennant contenders but it wasn’t sold as Wild Card contenders.

I wasn’t saying they need vets, they need production. Yes Frazier is an improvement and so is Winker but he is a platoon OF and Suarez is a massive downgrade from Seager. Frazier’s second half wasn’t “all star” worthy which isn’t meant to shit on him just the falsehood of saying they added an all star is massively misleading. So the offense is upgraded but upgraded from god awful to below average with potential if all of the young guys makes strides is still putting a shit load of pressure on them. As good as the bullpen was last year and is on paper there isn’t one single pitcher in it that anyone can say they can pencil in for a good year. The best one and the highest rated one are coming off injuries and the other guys are no names who had 1 good season.

Who is saying this season is all or nothing? I have yet to see one person say this year is the end all be all. Wanting free agents isn’t this is a now or never season.

Being disappointed because Jerry has done literally nothing offensively in terms of free agency in his term in Seattle IMO is completely justified. You may think Bryant is the one guy fans are disappointed about but he swang and missed on Bryant and Story but also his number 1 stated target in Semien pre lockout and lost him to a division rival. He has done solid in terms of trades in his career but coming into this off season and next off season Jerry literally will have the exact same issues unless Kelenic, JRod and Raleigh explode. He doesn’t have a 2B next year, a legit 3B or a C. And if Kelenic and JRod don’t pop this year then might be needing another OF next year because Haniger is gone by the deadline. You may hate saying free agency matters but he has resigned what offensive player, Segura? If you can’t sign other teams guys and can’t sign your own, eventually it is a Jerry problem. We got Ray, well great, pitching has not been the issue since he took over.

It isn’t the internet, it is you and I disagree on what is good business. And the ownership being bipolar on the topic too as proven by why the budget Jerry was given with Jack Z’s teams were higher than he has been given when it is just organization. Having a fan base that is energized and will give you sell outs when you don’t earn it or do you want one like Jerry’s entire tenure where it is they only sell out when Toronto, the Yankees or Red Sox come to town/September when you’re in a playoff hunt? What is good business about moving the goalposts and punting on spending in the FA market when every year you go the more and more expensive your cheap labor becomes? You can point to their profit, but that literally has nothing to do with good business other than sports teams become more valuable. They bought Roots which is awesome but that same year they funding a campaign to keep the NBA out of Seattle. They would be making more money right now with the Mariners, Kraken and Sonics right now and maybe invest in some streaming service.