• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruce Irvin has hip surgery

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Irvin of Seattle Seahawks has hip surgery, no timetable given for return - ESPN

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks outside linebacker Bruce Irvin underwent hip surgery on Monday, but no other details on the severity of the injury were released by the team.
Irvin competed seemingly without any problems in the team's first OTA practice one week ago. No timetable was given for his possible return, but he tweeted this on Monday afternoon:
Didn't want this to get out but I'm fine! Will b back by training camp! For all u people saying this a make or break year for me!
- Bruce Irvin (@BIrvin_WVU11) [ame="https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/statuses/473568490847490048"]June 2, 2014[/ame]​
On Sunday, Irvin sent out this tweet:
Mann the time has come! Yall pray for me!
- Bruce Irvin (@BIrvin_WVU11) [ame="https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/statuses/473398827370950656"]June 2, 2014[/ame]​
Irvin, 26, will be entering his third NFL season. He was a surprising first-round draft pick by the Seahawks in 2012 as a defensive end out of West Virginia. He had eight sacks as a rookie, but the Seahawks moved him to outside linebacker last season.
Irvin now is in a battle for one of the two outside linebacker starting spots with K.J. Wright and Malcolm Smith, the MVP of the Super Bowl.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition:

Bruce Irvin the latest hip injury for Seattle - Seattle Seahawks Blog - ESPN

First was receiver Percy Harvin, who missed most of the 2013 season after undergoing hip surgery in August to repair a torn labrum.

Then it was strong safety Kam Chancellor, who had hip surgery in March. Chancellor, who had played with a labrum issue for more than a year, was at the practice Monday, but did not participate. He expects to return in time for training camp next month.

And Monday it was outside linebacker Bruce Irvin, who had hip surgery after competing in organized team activities last week. No timetable was announced for Irvin's return, but he tweeted he would be back in time for training camp. If that's true, his surgery couldn't be as serious as the surgical procedure for Harvin or Chancellor.

Irvin wrote this tweet Monday afternoon:

If I woulda missed any games I wouldn't have got it I decided to proceed because I could b back soon. #watchmework
— Bruce Irvin (@BIrvin_WVU11) [ame="https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/statuses/473575152866050049"]June 2, 2014[/ame]​
But Irvin's absence leaves a hole for the moment at outside linebacker. Malcolm Smith is not practicing right now after undergoing minor ankle surgery. He also is hoping to return for training camp. Smith was wearing a protective boot last week, but he was walking around without the boot at Monday's OTA practice.

Irvin and Smith being out would have given plenty of reps Monday to rookie outside linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis, a fourth-round pick from Boston College, but he has a mild groin injury and didn't participate in team drills. Linebacker Korey Toomer, who missed the last two seasons with injuries, is getting a long look in OTAs. He also participated in rookie minicamp and played well.

Others who were not at practice Monday included running back Marshawn Lynch and defensive tackle Tony McDaniel.

Lynch, who was in Seattle Saturday for a sponsor event at a mall, has elected not to participate in the voluntary OTAs so far. He also missed the early OTA sessions last year. McDaniel was not at practice because he is moving into a new house.

Cornerback Richard Sherman practiced Monday, but left quickly afterwards because he is closing on a new house.

Defensive tackle Jesse Williams and cornerback Tharold Simon, who did not practice one week ago, participated fully on Monday.

Rookie defensive end Cassius Marsh of UCLA and rookie defensive tackle Andru Pulu of Eastern Washington were not at practice because NFL rules do not allow them to participate while their respective schools (both on the quarter system) are still in session.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like a lot of these guys should be good to go by training camp, so I'm not worried about them sitting out the OTAs. There's still a lot they can do off the practice field to get themselves ready and keep themselves up-to-speed in time for training camp.

About that last note... This is a rule that makes sense if the player hasn't graduated and still intends to attend class, but from what I've read, these two guys have already graduated from their respective schools and should therefore be allowed to participate in any team activities that they wish to participate in. What's the point of prohibiting guys who have already graduated from participating in OTAs while their school is still in session? I guess I need someone to explain the reasoning to me for that rule.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmm.....I was not aware that they had completed their degrees. I just assumed that they were still in classes.
I think it is good that the NFL has a focus on them finishing their education but this seems like a hole in the system. If they have already finished then they should be able to apply to attend practice and the league can review the situation.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmm.....I was not aware that they had completed their degrees. I just assumed that they were still in classes.
I think it is good that the NFL has a focus on them finishing their education but this seems like a hole in the system. If they have already finished then they should be able to apply to attend practice and the league can review the situation.

I found the info in this article, five paragraphs down:

Seattle Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch doesn't show for Day 1 of OTAs - ESPN

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next man up,shame because last year i said here that i believed he would have a breakout year,i was kinda wrong.

However when he plays guys hate playing against him,he is strong and fast just not smart yet.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you are referring to the latest report that Irvin will be out possibly until the start of the year recovering from the hip surgery.
It was from the same report that I saw that he was dealing with this hip injury for most of last year. I had not heard that until now.