• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos Pick 116 Eyioma Uwazurike DT Iowa St

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll put this here:
Eyioma (E-oh-mah) “Enyi” Uwazurike (Ooh-WHA-zah-REE-kay), who has Nigerian roots, grew up in inner-city Detroit and started playing sports in the Detroit Police Athletic League. He attended Southfield-Lathrup High in north Detroit, where he was a defensive end and tight end. As a junior, he finished with 58 tackles, 18.0 tackles for loss and 12.0 sacks, earning team defensive MVP honors. Uwazurike helped lead Southfield-Lathrup to the 2015 playoffs as a senior and earned First Team All-City and All-Conference honors. He finished his final season with 50 tackles, 12.0 tackles for loss and 6.0 sacks.
A three-star defensive end recruit out of high school, Uwazurike was the No. 37 strongside defensive end in the 2016 recruiting class and the No. 22 recruit in the state of Michigan. He struggled with academics in high school, which led to in-state schools like Michigan and Michigan State holding back an offer. Uwazurike received primarily MAC-level offers and committed to Toledo, the first program to offer him. When Matt Campbell left Toledo for Iowa State, Uwazurike switched his commitment as well. He was forced to redshirt in his first season on campus because he was academically ineligible. A Nigerian national, his father (Roland) was convicted in 2008 of smuggling high school books into Detroit with more than $150,000 worth of heroin. Roland, who Eyioma says was his best friend, passed away in December 2019 at the age of 48. Uwazurike decided to take advantage of the extra year of eligibility because of COVID and return to Ames for a sixth season in 2021. He became the first in his family to earn his college degree and is currently pursuing his master’s degree. Uwazurike accepted his invitation to the 2022 East-West Shrine Bowl.

STRENGTHS: Giant-sized defender with above-average length ... active hands to swat and force his way through the shoulders of blockers ... has explosiveness in his lower body ... keeps his feet alive to work laterally and avoid reach blocks ... controls himself as a tackler to finish the ball carrier ... able to make tackles away from his square because of his hustle ... blocked a pair of field goals in college ... the coaches speak highly of his toughness and importance to the culture (Uwazurike: “Growing up in Detroit, it makes you the tough person you are.”) ... has experience lining up everywhere from the nose to five-technique ... played in the second- most games in school history (60), including five bowl games ... only the second player in ISU history to reach 9.0 sacks in a season.
WEAKNESSES: Inconsistent pad level and needs to establish his base ... can get wild in his pursuit and tends to lose balance through contact ... needs to improve his snap anticipation to play out in front ... predictable with his rush attack and can do a better job mixing up move selection ... his hands keep going, but they can be more efficient ... bad habit of turning his pads and losing lane leverage ... doesn’t consistently absorb down blocks and can be washed ... occasionally late to react to play action or misdirection.
SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Iowa State, Uwazurike played inside and outside in defensive coordinator Jon Heacock’s multiple front, lining up at a handful of positions on the defensive line. While he was at his best as a three-technique, he also played comfortable as the shaded nose or out wide at 4i-technique, finishing his career third in school history with 34.5 tackles for loss. Uwazurike, who started every game the last three seasons, took sizeable jumps each year, playing his best as a senior because of his active hands and ability to find the football. However, his base strength can be inconsistent at engagement and he is more likely to bull rush with wild hands than use coordinated counters. Overall, Uwazurike needs to play with more consistent pad level and contact balance to secure run fits, but his blend of length and athleticism allow him to be disruptive from different alignments. He fits even and odd fronts and might be best as a five-technique

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. Moves really well for a big guy.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fant replacement, check.
Harris replacement, check.
Lock replacement, LMAOOOOOOO... check.

My take on Shelby Harris in the Seattle deal. As much as we all like Shelby we got better with this move. If we don't move Shelby we don't sign DJ Jones. Shelby was an important part that Seattle wanted in this deal and we basically let it fly and upgraded at the same time. We don't sign DJ Jones without moving Shelby's contract. It almost becomes a "throw in" player without the definition of a throw in player as they are usually players you aren't high on. Essentially, I feel like we traded Noah Fant and the draft picks for Wilson at the end of the day.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to give Mingo a free pass on this name his rookie year....