• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broke my car stereo - damnit

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was putting the Gipper in the Wagoneer and his leash line got stuck on the corner of the front of the stereo/GPS and ripped the removable face off. No biggy because it's a removable face right? Well, it must've fucked-up that flimsy little white strip that connects the face to the stereo because now it won't work. When I tried to plug the connector strip back in, it would come on for a second or two only - obviously it got yanked too hard on one end or the other.

Any of you ever done this? How do I fix this little POS?? It's a sweet stereo with the motorized 7" screen that slides out for the GPS and back up camera, etc. Seems like a waste to have a nice stereo/GPS trashed because of that tiny little strip of connections. ?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be gentle taking the old one out, some slide out easily but some have a clip holding them in that if you don't remove properly will make it even more broken.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be gentle taking the old one out, some slide out easily but some have a clip holding them in that if you don't remove properly will make it even more broken.

+1.

If there is a decent amount of tension on the ribbon when you pull on it, then look for a small clip on the superior (usually) side that will pull up and unlock the ribbon. I broke a few of these when I first started teaching myself how to work on small electronics. They are easily breakable and not easily replaceable.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever you do don't try and force the clip if there is one, if it is plastic it'll break and you'll be SOL. The clip should snap or slide off with little pressure when removed correctly.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever you do don't try and force the clip if there is one, if it is plastic it'll break and you'll be SOL. The clip should snap or slide off with little pressure when removed correctly.

Yeah! The clip on the radio head side messed up the tape when it got yanked out of that little PITA clip. The tape looks fine but on the end the tiny wires all popped out of their little spots. I thought about cutting the tape shorter...but that would be a clusterfuck.

A new ribbon cable (6" long and 7/16" wide) was 20 bucks...what a f'in ripoff!