• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brisket rubs.

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard of anyone around here using mop sauce on brisket. Ribs and pork butts yes. I have a spray can with apple juice in it and spray the brisket every 1/2 hour.

On brisket. I use apple cider vinegar - water - pineapple juice.

Helps balance the spritz

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salt, pepper, garlic powder. Let the brisket and smoker do the rest.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a lot of friends of mine are going towards the hot and fast, especially with pellet cookers.

If you cook brisket too fast at too high a temp., it will take on the characteristics of leather. The proteins in the muscle bind together and it becomes tough to chew.

Low and slow allows the connective tissues and these proteins to melt, releasing their own flavors and tenderizing the meat as the drippings of these fatty proteins break down.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit, I don't mop beef. Ever. I do give it a spritz through the cook. With Brisket I will inject before hand, and then give it some spray during the cook. I am still a low and slow guy on brisket even though a lot of friends of mine are going towards the hot and fast, especially with pellet cookers.
You need to get some new friends.

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you cook brisket too fast at too high a temp., it will take on the characteristics of leather. The proteins in the muscle bind together and it becomes tough to chew.

Low and slow allows the connective tissues and these proteins to melt, releasing their own flavors and tenderizing the meat as the drippings of these fatty proteins break down.

Trust me I know.

On a pellet it will allow you high and fast. I’m not a fan of it. And it doesn’t offer a bark at all which I don’t like. But that is what we are seeing more and more on the competition circuit

jackrabbit slim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard of anyone around here using mop sauce on brisket. Ribs and pork butts yes. I have a spray can with apple juice in it and spray the brisket every 1/2 hour.
Google Woodchick's brisket recipe. Has a mop sauce and a mustard/hot sauce glaze that is fucking fantastic. I was skeptical but damn was it on point.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He means it penetrates the meat. Helps to tenderize really well.
Thanks. Brisket gets like butter already already though low and slow on the smoker. I'd have a tough time believing this would make a big difference.

jackrabbit slim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Brisket gets like butter already already though low and slow on the smoker. I'd have a tough time believing this would make a big difference.
Depends on when it's used. Marinating the brisket for a couple days before smoking makes a big difference. Really, the way brisket is smoked comes down to if you're a traditionalist, (ie...salt, pepper amd chili powder) or a person that likes to experiment. I will eat brisket either way myself. I mentioned Woodchick's recipe above, you should give it a shot because it is fantastic.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on when it's used. Marinating the brisket for a couple days before smoking makes a big difference. Really, the way brisket is smoked comes down to if you're a traditionalist, (ie...salt, pepper amd chili powder) or a person that likes to experiment. I will eat brisket either way myself. I mentioned Woodchick's recipe above, you should give it a shot because it is fantastic.
That's a lot of stuff compared to my four ingredient brisket but I'll certainly consider it.

jackrabbit slim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a lot of stuff compared to my four ingredient brisket but I'll certainly consider it.
Trust me man, I thought the same thing you did when I first saw the recipe. Honestly, it's a lot of opening the smoker up and having to work more but I'm a 3,2,1 method smoker when it comes to brisket. Too expensive a cut these days to take any chances. Got to wrap that bad boy.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on when it's used. Marinating the brisket for a couple days before smoking makes a big difference.

No it doesn't. It goes into the meat about 1/4 of an inch and that is it. It doesn't matter how long you marinate the meat.

Myth: Marinades penetrate deep into meat. Marinades are primarily a surface treatment, especially on thicker cuts. Only the salt penetrates deep. Period. End of story.

Meat is a protein sponge saturated with liquid. About 75% of meat is water. There's not much room for any more liquid in there. Think of a sponge. When you are wiping up a spill, as it gets fully loaded you just can't get any more liquid in there.

Marinades, unless they are heavy with salt, in which case they more properly are called brines, do not penetrate meats very far, rarely more than 1/8", even after many hours of soaking. Especially in the cold fridge where molecules are sluggish.

Salt penetrates because it reacts chemically and electrically with the water in the meat. But molecules like sugar and garlic are comparatively huge and they do not react electrically when dissolved. Salt is made of just two atoms, sodium and chloride, NaCl. Sucrose is C12H22O11, that's 45 atoms. Garlic's active ingredient is allicin, C6H10OS2, and it has 18 atoms, and garlic powder is even larger and more complex than that.

sXew2-pV7xmZAcH8w1YVBFc_z9igUaGua04IndbZkaw.gif