• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bring back Aubrayo Franklin?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So last year I led the charge saying the Niners should let Aubrayo Franklin walk. He went to New Orleans and had a pretty forgettable year.

He signed a 1 year deal & probably won't get a bunch of attention. What would you think about bringing him back on the cheap for depth? I didn't want him back not because I didn't think he was any good but because I didn't want the Niners to spend much money on him.

He signed for 4 million last year. I don't think he'd get that again. Would this be a good idea or is RJF better than Aubrayo at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think he would be better off in another system. i wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in washington

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
rjf is better and younger. i'd also like to keep ian williams around and see what we have there. hopefully we draft some stud in the top 4 rounds to learn from justin smith and eventually take over.
so, no, no way we bring franklin back

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we need depth on the DL. I wouldn't mind keeping Dobbs, but if we could get Franklin back for 2 mil. it could definitely be worth it.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd rather spend the money on someone else than Franklin.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see him as a starter now so it would have to be at a discount price his numbers have been on a decline he only had 17 tackles last season no sacks

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont see Franklin as a need. Sopz has been quite an iron man (minus illness) for us next to Justin. The only times he's off is in those passing downs where Franklin wouldn't be useful.

Plus our run game def didn't really suffer, so... nah pass on that overrated NT!!!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Dont see Franklin as a need. Sopz has been quite an iron man (minus illness) for us next to Justin. The only times he's off is in those passing downs where Franklin wouldn't be useful.

Plus our run game def didn't really suffer, so... nah pass on that overrated NT!!!

If the Niners brought Franklin back I don't think it would be as a starter; Soap is a better NT than Franklin was IMO. If they brought him back it would probably be for depth & to keep Soap fresh.

The only question would be is RJF better than Franklin at this point. Franklin was a good NT, and he'll be 32 next offseason. He probably still has some tread on the tires...

Keep in mind Sopoaga is a FA after the 2012 season, and an upper echelon NT like Soap could command a hefty price tag. That's something to consider when talking about signing Rogers, Golston or a FA WR.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niners brought Franklin back I don't think it would be as a starter; Soap is a better NT than Franklin was IMO. If they brought him back it would probably be for depth & to keep Soap fresh.

The only question would be is RJF better than Franklin at this point. Franklin was a good NT, and he'll be 32 next offseason. He probably still has some tread on the tires...

Keep in mind Sopoaga is a FA after the 2012 season, and an upper echelon NT like Soap could command a hefty price tag. That's something to consider when talking about signing Rogers, Golston or a FA WR.

I think RJF is quite servicable for 1st backup NT, with RJF you get two things: one being he can rotate at both NT/DE and secondly, peanut butter jelly time!

We also have Ian Williams, so for next year, it will give us a better idea if he can really get in there and play(DL rotation is something I thought would be a concern going into the playoffs, however our bigs did not show any downtime)

With Sopz being in SF since he got drafted, I think, could be wrong i have no sources, he would give us the edge especially with Jsmith and Willis and Ray and Aldon still playing... he has a part in building up that defense.

To answer, no, i don't see Franklin being "needed" for the NT backup role. A LOT of teams will soon discard and burn any run plays in their playbook when its gametime vs us lol... its all pass from here on.

Who's Golston? Colston? Gholston? :tea:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we might as well keep looking for a younger replacement? whether its RJF, Ian, or another player, might as well target someone younger than Franklin.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd say the niners' record and the defense's record against the run says it all re: Soap; he's been a rock up front, and though he might not have many tackles, that's because opponents have not been foolish enough to run up the gut on the Niners very often. RJF is good, and versatile; he can play DE as well, which Franklin's not gonna be able to do.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, I'm not necessarily advocating bringing back Franklin; I'm just wondering if he'd come cheap.

If the Niners brought him back it wouldn't be instead of RJF of course. It would be in addition to. That's why it would only make sense if he'd come back on the cheap.

As far as Ian Williams goes he hasn't really shown anything, so until he does he's a complete unknown.

Oh and lol @ Peanut Butter Jelly time Calamity. :)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
franklin's value would mostly come on running downs. pass rushing situations i would rather rjf

i'm expecting ian williams to to be a solid back up at end

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NT take time to develop....don't sleep on Ian Williams.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
NT take time to develop....don't sleep on Ian Williams.

I'm not sleeping on him; I just don't really have any reason to believe he'll be bad or any good. He's a completely unknown commodity to me.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
franklin's value would mostly come on running downs. pass rushing situations i would rather rjf

i'm expecting ian williams to to be a solid back up at end

if he does great, but first he'd have to beat out Dobbs. unless you're thinking Dobbs is an eventual starter?