• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Briggs wants to come back

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy straight up said that he lost interest and was looking up at the clock in meetings during the second half of the season. Come on… he's a dog now.

makes you wonder what happens when a real coaching staff is in the room. I mean, these coaches were a joke to cutler too, we know he lost interest but he definitely deserves another chance.

Only problem is Fox retained the OLB coach from the old staff.

C

cubzzzfanincali

The 4-3 outside linebacker market is pretty bad this year, maybe as bad a position group in free agency as there is this year outside of the QB market. Briggs is the oldest one out there. If the Bears go into free agency, and surprise us by deciding they will use a 4-3 and get a weakside guy, I guess I would want Durant or Malcolm Smith, but Super Bowl players always want more money than they are worth, so I really can't justify Smith.

But here's a different question. Even if they were to still use a 4-3, why not just move Bostic there? He's not going to the Pro Bowl, but it's a better position for him, and we can use the resources on the many other positions that need addressing. It is better than having him playing a position (inside linebacker) he just doesn't seem that well suited for.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
makes you wonder what happens when a real coaching staff is in the room. I mean, these coaches were a joke to cutler too, we know he lost interest but he definitely deserves another chance.

If he quit on the last staff, why would you trust him with a new staff? In fact, when you quit on your coaches, you're also quitting on your teammates.

Besides, under Lovie, the WLB had a very defined role. He had been in that role what, 10 years? In this defense, whether he stays outside or shifts inside, it is a brand new role. Why retrain him to be in that role for a season maybe two when you can train someone to be in that role for the next five or six years.

Let him go to Tampa. He could probably be an asset teaching the role he knows to someone else under a coach he likes.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he quit on the last staff, why would you trust him with a new staff? In fact, when you quit on your coaches, you're also quitting on your teammates.

Besides, under Lovie, the WLB had a very defined role. He had been in that role what, 10 years? In this defense, whether he stays outside or shifts inside, it is a brand new role. Why retrain him to be in that role for a season maybe two when you can train someone to be in that role for the next five or six years.

Let him go to Tampa. He could probably be an asset teaching the role he knows to someone else under a coach he likes.

Because you still have the personnel on offense that can compete in this league. Why be one more guy away on defense? You want to train someone for 4-5 years, that sounds like a rebuild. dont think we are close to being there. Yes, both Briggs and Urlachers careers were helped by the other guy, just dont want to be one more guy away when its a guy that plays on sundays. I think these guys in the double digit years of their careers pretty much know what works and what doesnt and you take a staff like the bears had, its pretty clear what wont work. Why be that rah rah guy.

I also dont think Bostic would beat out Jones for that WLB spot. I dont even have much of a problem with bostic in the middle until its time to run backwards and play centerfield. To me the 4 linebacker set has guys outside that want to shed and beat blockers, and guys on the inside that want to hit. I think Bostic wants to hit.

C

cubzzzfanincali

he isn't going to Tampa. Tampa already has debatably the best weakside 4-3 OLB in the league, and a young one too, in Lavonte David.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Because you still have the personnel on offense that can compete in this league. Why be one more guy away on defense? You want to train someone for 4-5 years, that sounds like a rebuild. dont think we are close to being there. Yes, both Briggs and Urlachers careers were helped by the other guy, just dont want to be one more guy away when its a guy that plays on sundays. I think these guys in the double digit years of their careers pretty much know what works and what doesnt and you take a staff like the bears had, its pretty clear what wont work. Why be that rah rah guy.

I also dont think Bostic would beat out Jones for that WLB spot. I dont even have much of a problem with bostic in the middle until its time to run backwards and play centerfield. To me the 4 linebacker set has guys outside that want to shed and beat blockers, and guys on the inside that want to hit. I think Bostic wants to hit.

It makes a big difference if it is a 4-3 vs a 3-4. The 4-3 Will is the cleanup man, the run defense is designed to funnel the plays to the Will being unblocked. That's what Bostic needs. He's just not that good in gaps, and he doesn't have the range for a MLB. If you put Bostic in a 3-4, then maybe...maybe...I can see him on one of the inside positions, but only if the 3 guys up front are all really strong.

By the way, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, on the defensive side, the Bears already are in full throttle on rebuild. Whether you sign Briggs or not doesn't really affect that either way. The current defense is no longer his anyway. You can use the cap space on him, or on some other guy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Briggs would be starting at square one in a 3-4 like any younger player would. The difference is Briggs would be past his prime and here for two years tops where the younger player would have his best years ahead of him and we would still be getting a return on the investment years after Briggs is managing his BBQ joint full time. Plus... It's time to get out of 2006 already. Briggs isn't that good anymore.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough. I agree with that. I bet it wasn't so far-fetched for a veteran to get disinterested in that season. For the younger guys who don't know any better, it was probably business as usual. But for the older guys, they were probably thinking; "what a joke this all is".

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel for him. He's probably looking around thinking, "Well, shoot! There is no one around who remembers how I was, and might be willing to pay me some 'I used to be good' compensation."

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance Briggs has clearly declined, but he is still an average LB. As much as it pains me, that makes him the best LB on the team. If he wants a big salary, don't bring him back, but there is no reason not to offer him a 1 or 2 year deal which reflects his actual market value.

Offer him 2 years for $5 Million. He likely won't take it, but if he does, you get an average linebacker for a fair price. If he doesn't, move along.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance Briggs has clearly declined, but he is still an average LB. As much as it pains me, that makes him the best LB on the team. If he wants a big salary, don't bring him back, but there is no reason not to offer him a 1 or 2 year deal which reflects his actual market value.

Offer him 2 years for $5 Million. He likely won't take it, but if he does, you get an average linebacker for a fair price. If he doesn't, move along.

I'm glad you brought up money with Briggs... because that is another issue that scares me off. Some are saying all he needs is to have a more credible and hard ass coaching staff to motivate him. But he was making some pretty good money these past couple years and there is NO WAY he'll be playing for nearly that much going forward with his age, decline in play and injury history. That would be ridiculous.

So if he couldn't get himself up to play or find the motivation when he was the leader of the defense making great money, why are we all of a sudden expecting him to go out there and bust his tail for something a lot closer to the vet minimum? And don't preach to me how with Briggs it is not about the money, because throughout his career he has made it clear that money is very important to him.

To me, this is too easy of a decision... if you're going to get a vet, get one who has experience in a 3-4 (possibly with Fangio) who is closer to 30 than 35. Don't overpay for someone who's pro bowl days are well behind him in a system that is nothing like what we're about to run and who will give a half assed effort if things don't go his way.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LEts not forget that Fox wanted to fix relationships with vets that were not treated well like Urlacher, wanted to open dialogue with Ditka. Pretty sure it kinda makes him lean towards a great bear being on the roster to lead the way for the baby bears.

Plus you figure Briggs would earn that C on his jersey the entire season and have more to play for than money.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LEts not forget that Fox wanted to fix relationships with vets that were not treated well like Urlacher, wanted to open dialogue with Ditka. Pretty sure it kinda makes him lean towards a great bear being on the roster to lead the way for the baby bears.

Plus you figure Briggs would earn that C on his jersey the entire season and have more to play for than money.

I've defended Brandon Marshall because I have seen all of the stories about how he has taken guys in like Jeffrey and Wilson during the offseason, trained with them, got them fluent in the playbook and really helped them along. I have never even heard a report of Briggs helping a rookie during training camp. I've heard him throwing Bostic under the bus after having a promising rookie pre-season... but that's about it. Sorry, but he's not a leader. Peanut Tillman... different story. Briggs... no.

And "mending fences" with Briggs is a bad enough in the first place because there are no fences that should require mending. Urlacher was treated weirdly. I could see Urlacher's beef in the way he was somewhat marginalized by management (I could understand them not wanting to pay him what he asked for, but they played it a bit more coldly than Urlacher deserved). Briggs has gotten paid every step of the way. When they needed a vet to buy in on defense after Lovie left, it was Briggs who turned his back on them, not the other way around. He should be happy he got an opportunity to play out a great career here, but no... the Bears don't owe it to him to resign him and Fox should be more focused on the future of the team than massaging the ego of a veteran who has had a habit of coming in out of shape, de-prioritizing the team, has not helped make younger players better and brings no continuity to the defense since it will be a brand new scheme. I'm just not on board with this. The honorable thing to do is to thank him and move on. If they absolutely love him, let him do radio or something.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toover I think you are spot on. We don't owe him shit. But I want him back because I believe he makes us better and I believe he will play harder for Fox. I don't totally blame him for quitting on Tucker as I did the same and so did you. If we can get a better player then move on, but Briggs can still be very effective as a ILB and would transition quickly.

DaBearFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the memories Lance. Time to move along now.