• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brett Bielema was interviewd by the Dolphins but they didnt want Russel Wilson & Bielema walked

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the Dolphins were interviewing Brett Bielema to be their head coach back in 2012. During th interview process Bielema was telling them they needed to draft Russel Wilson in the second round.

Miami did not want to do that and then Bielema lost interest. If Miami would have been smarter this years Super Bowl would be a bit different.

Bret Bielema says talks to coach Dolphins in 2012 broke down over Russell Wilson | ProFootballTalk

Every team in the NFL except the Saints and Raiders passed on Russell Wilson at least once in the 2012 NFL Draft before the Seahawks selected him in the third round.

If Bret Bielema had been able to convince the Dolphins that Wilson was worth taking earlier on, Sunday’s Super Bowl might be very different. Bielema is now the coach of Arkansas, but he was the coach of Wisconsin during Wilson’s final collegiate season and was interviewing with the Dolphins about their head coaching job in early 2012 when Wilson’s name came up.

Bielema said he told General Manager Jeff Ireland and others that he thought the Dolphins should draft Wilson in the second round, but the team disagreed with his take.

“They all looked at me like, ‘You can’t say that,'” Bielema said, via ESPN.com. “That’s the difference between college and pro. He’s undersized. He can’t throw.’ I was like, ‘OK, all right,’ and I honestly, that day, kind of pulled myself out of it.”

The Dolphins wound up drafting Ryan Tannehill with the eighth overall pick after hiring Joe Philbin to be their head coach and Tannehill’s college coach Mike Sherman as their offensive coordinator, setting up a pretty sizable “What if?” to consider about the trajectory of Miami and Seattle over the last three years.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they draft Wilson I have supreme confidence they would have blown it still....it is the dolphins afterall

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not nearly as 'lol' worthy as when the Dolphins passed on Brees and lost Nick Saban.

We honestly don't know if Wilson would've been great on a different team. He would've been good no doubt but Tannehill is no slouch.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is what it is. Anyone who saw Russell knew it was coming. This is old news. 31 teams were stupid. One team saw brilliance and didn't discount it because it was 5'10. That one team is about to repeat as Super Bowl Champs, as it should be. Pretty straightforward.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not nearly as 'lol' worthy as when the Dolphins passed on Brees and lost Nick Saban.

We honestly don't know if Wilson would've been great on a different team. He would've been good no doubt but Tannehill is no slouch.

I think the point of the article is that Seattle may not be one of the teams in the Super Bowl this weekend if he was on Miami. We would have no idea how it would have affected the Miami team though. Mat Flynn may have stayed the Seattle starter

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is what it is. Anyone who saw Russell knew it was coming. This is old news. 31 teams were stupid. One team saw brilliance and didn't discount it because it was 5'10. That one team is about to repeat as Super Bowl Champs, as it should be. Pretty straightforward.
Its not nearly that straight forward.

Tannehill with Seattle at least makes the playoffs this year for sure. Dolphins with Wilson...no guarantees he ever gets to the playoffs even if he plays well.

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm starting to think that you are Russell Wilson's mom.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not nearly that straight forward.

Tannehill with Seattle at least makes the playoffs this year for sure. Dolphins with Wilson...no guarantees he ever gets to the playoffs even if he plays well.

People can always live in hypothetical-land to discount Russ. In the real world, he inherited a 7-9 team with an above-average defense, subpar offensive line, subpar receiving crew, and a running back who was (by advanced metrics) statistically average. Three years later, that team is two days away from repeating as World Champs.

People here know that it isn't revisionist history. A bunch of us saw it coming. If you go down a Madden list on what makes a great player, it is tough to see weaknesses. The guy is fast, strong, aware, has an accurate arm, has a huge arm, is agile and elusive, doesn't get injured, etc. On top of that, he has great character. There will always be some excuse for people to discount him. They'll talk about his 20 passing TDs (which are bafflingly irrelevant considering his team is top ten in touchdowns/drive) or his 4 picks in one game ever (ignoring that two weren't his fault and every QB throws two interceptions occasionally) or his great supporting cast (which is very similar to the one that went 7-9 before he arrived...and probably even worse on offense).

That's the thing. You can discount him all you want. But there is one real world. I can't forecast everything which could have happened. All I know is that I said on draft day that the Seahawks just won a Lombardi Trophy. So did Bielema. So did everyone who gave him a fair shake. You can act like it wasn't inevitable, but to so many of us, it was. To John Schneider, it was. We were right, and I sure as hell don't think it is luck. But more importantly, the team with the Lombardi Trophy doesn't think it was luck. In the face of that, none of the hypotheticals really matter.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the real world, he inherited a 7-9 team with an above-average defense, subpar offensive line, subpar receiving crew, and a running back who was (by advanced metrics) statistically average. Three years later, that team is two days away from repeating as World Champs.
So what you are saying is that Richard Sherman, Bobby Wagner, Michael Bennett and company are just bit players to the elite greatness that is Russell Wilson?

C'mon man

Russell Wilson is a top 10 QB. Russell Wilson is not magic

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you are saying is that Richard Sherman, Bobby Wagner, Michael Bennett and company are just bit players to the elite greatness that is Russell Wilson?

C'mon man

Russell Wilson is a top 10 QB. Russell Wilson is not magic

Seattle had the second best defense in the league this year (behind the Bills) after having the best defense in the league last year. Seattle also has an offensive line which is about 22nd best overall this year (and 26th or so in pass protection), a well below-average receiving corp (probably about 28th best), and an RB who is great at breaking tackles but needs a decoy to get enough time to run those broken tackles into yards.

Considering all of it, Seattle is probably about the 10th best team in the league without the QB factoring into the discussion. And when a guy can win a Super Bowl with the 10th best supporting cast, I think him winning a Super Bowl at some point in his career was inevitable. There are probably 16 franchises where he wouldn't have won one yet, but I do think he was gonna get a ring no matter he went eventually.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is what it is. Anyone who saw Russell knew it was coming. This is old news. 29 teams were stupid. One team saw brilliance and didn't discount it because it was 5'10. That one team is about to repeat as Super Bowl Champs, as it should be. Pretty straightforward.

FIFY, Raiders gave up their first 2 in the Carson Palmer fiasco, I don't know why the Saints were out of the first 2 rounds, bountygate?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the point of the article is that Seattle may not be one of the teams in the Super Bowl this weekend if he was on Miami. We would have no idea how it would have affected the Miami team though. Mat Flynn may have stayed the Seattle starter

"But but but RW is only a product of Marshawn Lynch and the Seahawks defense. Ryan Leaf could take the Seahawks to the Super Bowl back to back to back years."

-People I laugh at

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle had the second best defense in the league this year (behind the Bills) after having the best defense in the league last year. Seattle also has an offensive line which is about 22nd best overall this year (and 26th or so in pass protection), a well below-average receiving corp (probably about 28th best), and an RB who is great at breaking tackles but needs a decoy to get enough time to run those broken tackles into yards.

Considering all of it, Seattle is probably about the 10th best team in the league without the QB factoring into the discussion. And when a guy can win a Super Bowl with the 10th best supporting cast, I think him winning a Super Bowl at some point in his career was inevitable. There are probably 16 franchises where he wouldn't have won one yet, but I do think he was gonna get a ring no matter he went eventually.
Their oline is actually really good at run blocking. I would actually say that their oline is slightly above average this year after being a trainwreck last year.

Its impossible to project playoff success. Seattle should've lost that game against Green Bay. They almost lost last year against the Niners. They almost won the year before when they got knocked out.

I really want to see a larger sample size with Russell Wilson. He throws a great deep ball but that works because of Seattle's scheme. It'll be easy to judge his career 5 years from now. All we can say about him right now is that he is 'good enough'