• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Braves trade Evan Gattis to Astros

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves trade Evan Gattis to Astros

The Houston Astros have acquired slugger Evan Gattis in a trade with the Atlanta Braves.

The rebuilding Braves received three minor league prospects -- right-hander Mike Foltynewicz, third baseman Rio Ruiz and right-hander Andrew Thurman -- in the trade, which also sent right-handed minor leaguer James Hoyt to Houston.

Gattis passed a physical Wednesday to complete the deal, which the Braves announced in a news release later in the evening.

Gattis, 28, has 43 home runs in just 213 career games with the Braves. He burst onto the scene as a relative unknown in 2013 and became one of the most popular players among Atlanta's fan base.

The right-handed Gattis, who has played catcher, first base and left field, will join an emerging Astros lineup that already features All-Star second baseman Jose Altuve, promising outfielder George Springer and slugger Chris Carter, who had 37 homers last season.

The deal marks the latest in a busy offseason for the Braves, who also have traded away star outfielders Jason Heyward and Justin Upton following a disappointing 79-83 season.

Evan Gattis traded to Houston Astros by Atlanta Braves - ESPN

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the pillaging of the Braves continues. Do they win 70 games next year I wonder?

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dudes defense is awful. I think an AL team is best for him. Also he really cant hit anything other than a Fastball. And ALso with 2 strikes high Fastball out of the zone got him swinging everytime.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the pillaging of the Braves continues. Do they win 70 games next year I wonder?

With the way the roster looks right now, I would take 70 wins.

They play the games for a reason, but on paper, we fuckin suck. Sucks too, I really don't think we were that far away from being contenders, hell we just won the East two years ago and lead it most of the season last year until injuries and fatigue took their toll. Definitely don't think full blown rebuild was in order, and if we're rebuilding, why sign Markakis to a 4 year deal?

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt it. I hope we have the worst record in the MLB so we can get the #1 draft pick. All I know is we better be fucking good in 2017 or I may kick John Harts ass myself.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I didn't think Gattis was horrible behind the plate. He was actually rated pretty high in framing pitches and getting called strikes and he had a pretty good arm for catching base stealers. He was never gonna be gold glove material, but he wasn't a defensive liability like he was and will be in left field.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. I hope we have the worst record in the MLB so we can get the #1 draft pick. All I know is we better be fucking good in 2017 or I may kick John Harts ass myself.

My thoughts exactly. I've never fought a senior citizen before, but there's a first time for everything.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way the roster looks right now, I would take 70 wins.

They play the games for a reason, but on paper, we fuckin suck. Sucks too, I really don't think we were that far away from being contenders, hell we just won the East two years ago and lead it most of the season last year until injuries and fatigue took their toll. Definitely don't think full blown rebuild was in order, and if we're rebuilding, why sign Markakis to a 4 year deal?

I do like what they are doing with the pitching staff. The Markakis deal is a bit of a head scratcher, but he will provide some much needed veteran leadership in the clubhouse that has been sorely missing since Mac, Chipper and Huddy all departed.

Hard to have a worse offense than they had last year. Might be nice to see a few guys that won't strike out 170 times a season...

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like what they are doing with the pitching staff. The Markakis deal is a bit of a head scratcher, but he will provide some much needed veteran leadership in the clubhouse that has been sorely missing since Mac, Chipper and Huddy all departed.

Hard to have a worse offense than they had last year. Might be nice to see a few guys that won't strike out 170 times a season...

They might surprise me, but I'm just not seeing any run producers other than Freddie Freeman in this lineup. Hell, we only have two outfielders and one I would jump for joy if he managed to crack the Mendoza line.

I think our pitching staff will be just fine, but we can't win if we can't score, but hopefully they'll play Pastornicky either at second base or in left field.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked at the roster and Ive never heard of half of the players

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now our lineup should be:

1. Tyler Pastornicky- LF
2. Nick Markakis- RF
3. Freddie Freeman- 1B
4. Chris Johnson- 3B
5. Andrelton Simmons- SS
6. Phil Gosselin- 2B
7. Christian Bethancourt- C
8. BJ Upton- CF

Hell, Freeman is our only player worthy of being in the middle of the lineup. Put Chris Johnson cleanup because that's what he did for a while last season and he is just a season removed from a great offensive season.

But, Alberto Callaspo will probably start at second base for some unknown reason and I honestly don't know who will be playing left field.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, wouldn't surprise me if they used Pierzynski as the everyday catcher.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now our lineup should be:

1. Tyler Pastornicky- LF
2. Nick Markakis- RF
3. Freddie Freeman- 1B
4. Chris Johnson- 3B
5. Andrelton Simmons- SS
6. Phil Gosselin- 2B
7. Christian Bethancourt- C
8. BJ Upton- CF

Hell, Freeman is our only player worthy of being in the middle of the lineup. Put Chris Johnson cleanup because that's what he did for a while last season and he is just a season removed from a great offensive season.

But, Alberto Callaspo will probably start at second base for some unknown reason and I honestly don't know who will be playing left field.

Don't we have a minor leaguer that is suppose to be really good at 2B?? I cant think of his name

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we have a minor leaguer that is suppose to be really good at 2B?? I cant think of his name

Perraza or something like that, but he's probably a year away, and Gosselin played pretty good last season at second base when La Stella started struggling.

metal_frk_334

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I didn't understand that trade when it happened and it makes even less sense now. My best guess is they were thinking that after they got done selling the team off somebody had to be able to come in and start right away...

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might surprise me, but I'm just not seeing any run producers other than Freddie Freeman in this lineup. Hell, we only have two outfielders and one I would jump for joy if he managed to crack the Mendoza line.

I think our pitching staff will be just fine, but we can't win if we can't score, but hopefully they'll play Pastornicky either at second base or in left field.

I thought I read that Pastornicky was optioned off the 40 man roster.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I read that Pastornicky was optioned off the 40 man roster.

He was when we signed Josh Outman, but I'd assume he'll be added back now that Gattis is off the roster. I just think Pastornicky could really benefit the team if they give him the chance to play every day. He's a base stealing threat that doesn't strike out much.