• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Braves at Sox

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that Grifol and Kopech have been close this season - as Grifol has encouraged Kopech to be a closer. Tonight - Grifol left Kopech out there with no one warming up in the bullpen to sink or swim his save opportunity. Kopech has great stuff - it is always his temperament that starts to affect his performance. Grifol gave Kopech an opportunity to gain some confidence - and it worked out tonight. Unlike my friend Iddy - I can see Kopech in a Liam Hendriks closer role. I'd like to see him grow as a professional....

...3 years ago...

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He drove in what turned out to be the winning run.
yes, i watched the game. he left 4 men on base, gidp'd to end a scoring threat and yes, popped up a seeing eye blooper that luckily fell between 3 players for the rbi. he looked like shit at the plate every at bat!

kopech came in in the 8th and walked the first guy he faced to load the bases and fortunately got the dp to get out of the inning. in the 9th he gave up a homerun, a walk and another hit but finally got out of it. in other words, he sucked as a closer.

pretending these guys had a great night (as in 'hats off to') isn't what i'd call a fair description of events.

i'll happily accept the 'grinch' role y'all try to label me as, knowing that at least i'm honest in my criticisms of this 'team'.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, i watched the game. he left 4 men on base, gidp'd to end a scoring threat and yes, popped up a seeing eye blooper that luckily fell between 3 players for the rbi. he looked like shit at the plate every at bat!

kopech came in in the 8th and walked the first guy he faced to load the bases and fortunately got the dp to get out of the inning. in the 9th he gave up a homerun, a walk and another hit but finally got out of it. in other words, he sucked as a closer.

pretending these guys had a great night (as in 'hats off to') isn't what i'd call a fair description of events.

i'll happily accept the 'grinch' role y'all try to label me as, knowing that at least i'm honest in my criticisms of this 'team'.
No, it's your Manichean worldview. Kopech didn't have a great night, but he worked through a tough situation - that's how people learn. He stayed in and battled - even though he pitched 30 pitches. Hats off to Kopech and Grifol for hanging in there. You can't grow without learning. When Kopech has been a starter - his fastball was hitting 96/97 - as a reliever - he was hitting 99/101. Last night he was just missing the high part of the strike zone. Let's see if it carries forward - it might not of course.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's your Manichean worldview. Kopech didn't have a great night, but he worked through a tough situation - that's how people learn. He stayed in and battled - even though he pitched 30 pitches. Hats off to Kopech and Grifol for hanging in there. You can't grow without learning. When Kopech has been a starter - his fastball was hitting 96/97 - as a reliever - he was hitting 99/101. Last night he was just missing the high part of the strike zone. Let's see if it carries forward - it might not of course.
manichean? omg give me a BREAK! good and evil? really? as i see it, as a sox fan you are hopelessly polyannic (for now anyway)!

but let's get back to real. could kopech turn into a great pitcher? i'll admit it's a possibility, but let's be honest, it's very unlikely. he's not a rookie. he's pitched like this for over 4 years. i've seen no change! have you? doesn't matter how fast he throws. he's a headcase and this has been known for years! last night was no different than any other time. when he pitches well (and consistantly) i'll like him again. i refuse to make excuses for his lack of knowing how to use his obvious gifts.

and btw, i've seen no growth of grifol either.

my hat stays on.

Last edited:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
manichean? omg give me a BREAK! good and evil? really? as i see it, as a sox fan you are hopelessly polyannic (for now anyway)!

but let's get back to real. could kopech turn into a great pitcher? i'll admit it's a possibility, but let's be honest, it's very unlikely. he's not a rookie. he's pitched like this for over 4 years. i've seen no change! have you? doesn't matter how fast he throws. he's a headcase and this has been known for years! last night was no different than any other time. when he pitches well (and consistantly) i'll like him again. i refuse to make excuses for his lack of knowing how to use his obvious gifts.

and btw, i've seen no growth of grifol either.

my hat stays on.
Yeah - we are going to have to watch it play out. I agree on Kopech - in the sense that he always has shown the same problem - I disagree that hitting much higher mph fastballs is not meaningful. His pitches last night were almost uniformly high indicating he was jacked by the opportunity and not a guy who has no control.

On Grifol - he has said the dumbest things I have ever heard, but when he makes the right calls - like PH De Jong right before a homerun - or encouraging Crocket to be a starter and making him the #1 starter - and to my way of thinking keeping Kopech in the game to get the safe will help Kopech immensely next time out.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - we are going to have to watch it play out. I agree on Kopech - in the sense that he always has shown the same problem - I disagree that hitting much higher mph fastballs is not meaningful. His pitches last night were almost uniformly high indicating he was jacked by the opportunity and not a guy who has no control.

On Grifol - he has said the dumbest things I have ever heard, but when he makes the right calls - like PH De Jong right before a homerun - or encouraging Crocket to be a starter and making him the #1 starter - and to my way of thinking keeping Kopech in the game to get the safe will help Kopech immensely next time out.

8lg1bv.jpg

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

time will tell, as usual, with kopech.

not sure you were serious about what a great job grifol did by pinch-hitting for shewmake. my sister could have done that. kinda like the squirrel finding a nut.

i was totally against crochet as a starter, but must admit he's looking pretty good so far. but i also was not really aware that's what he started as and he may be suited for it as opposed to becoming a lock down closer. again, time will tell.