• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brandon Merriweather Personal Foul

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is doing the right thing by changing. But why stop with the secondary ? The offensive and defensive linemen should no longer make contact with their helmets either. Running backs too. It's going to lead to concussions. There should be no room in the league for hard, helmet to helmet, hits. Let's just remove the helmets all together so they can no longer be used as weapons.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is doing the right thing by changing. But why stop with the secondary ? The offensive and defensive linemen should no longer make contact with their helmets either. Running backs too. It's going to lead to concussions. There should be no room in the league for hard, helmet to helmet, hits. Let's just remove the helmets all together so they can no longer be used as weapons.

Actually - I wish they would put more focus on how technology might help in avoiding some of these injuries. As for the other positions. Actually they did implement a new rule that impacted running backs this season & lineman are subject to these rules if in open space. Up close there is not as much risk. Others have also suggested removing the facemasks - I don't agree but the thought is interesting. We may not like any of this, but there will continue to be change in this area.

Anyhow - don't misinterpret my comments. I am not stating that these rules are correct (& realize that the NFL's motivation is based on financial reasons) & have said as much. My take is that the rules are the rules, and players need to abide by them or risk the consequences. There are certainly things that players like Meriweather can do to change their style that can at least reduce the # of these type of hits. If they choose to not go this route fine - then they should not subsequently complain about penalties, suspensions, etc. They went into the situation with their eyes wide open the whole time. I would be a little more lenient say 5 years ago but not so much now.

It is liking breaking a law that you may not believe in (e.g. wearing a seatbelt) - it still does not allow you to not pay the consequences.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can argue intent & various subtleties of the various plays. However - over the course of this season & beyond as Redskins fans we can't keep making excuses for this guy. The Packers game should have been a major red flag for this guy. The various arguments that are made here not withstanding - Meriweather leads with his head & very obviously is playing old school football where he is trying to apply the major blow to opposing players. That is just not going to work in today's NFL (whether it is right or wrong).

The point is not whether this is "sissy" football or if the refs or NFL are completely interpreting the rules correctly. The point is that Meriweather needs to adopt a new style or continue to face the consequences including the real possibility that he will no longer find a place in the NFL. A two game suspension might be just what he needs to take time and think about all of this (perhaps he is already trying to change his style but old habits die slowly).

As for not having him vs. Manning & Rivers - so what. It probably would not matter much anyhow & if the guy was not suspended he would probably continue to rack up the penalties since he would be under close scrutiny.

All of us should look at this from the opposing view. If a player from another team acted in this manner against one of the Redskins most people here would be screaming for a suspension.

HTTR

Great Post...:suds:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years ago fans were calling Sean Taylor the greatest Redskin safety for the same kind of hits.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years ago fans were calling Sean Taylor the greatest Redskin safety for the same kind of hits.

This is true. All of the great safeties played with reckless abandon. It was their job to dislodge the ball from the receiver. But the times, and rules, have changed. The players have to adapt with them. Personally, I hate the new rules and don't believe they will result in less injuries, just different injuries. Lower body injuries will run rampant in the future. Defenders have no choice but to go low.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are freaking blind.

He CLEARLY launched at both WR's heads with the crown. Especially Marshall. That would have been called as spearing even before these rules were put in.

All of you saying that "lower body injuries will run rampant" clearly have never played the game at a competitive level. It's called hitting the middle of the body, which is still perfectly legal, and Merriweather had a chance to do that on both hits.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meriweather is on his feet in both shots posted below.

If you look at the picture of the 2nd hit, it is obvious the receiver is squatting & lowering his head to where his chest had been just moments before.

In real time I dont think it's as cut and dry as everyone wants to make it out to be. No fan is going to complain when a safety comes in & blows up a completion and turns it into a fumble/incompletion.

hit number one

BXHt95IIgAED0e0.jpg

hit number 2

BXHu0TNIYAAOz33.jpg

Wow man... those are some seriously delusional thoughts you have there.

He's GETTING READY to launch in both pictures with his crown headed straight for the players heads. Get a grip.

That shit is illegal IN ANY ERA. He easily could have aimed for the middle of the body and wrapped with either hit. However, he CHOSE to launch with his crown down and tuck his arms down.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow man... those are some seriously delusional thoughts you have there.

He's GETTING READY to launch in both pictures with his crown headed straight for the players heads. Get a grip.

That shit is illegal IN ANY ERA. He easily could have aimed for the middle of the body and wrapped with either hit. However, he CHOSE to launch with his crown down and tuck his arms down.

Only person that needs to get a grip is yourself. The second hit the flag was not even thrown for 20 secoonds after the ball hit the ground and one ref told the other ref the player involved was named Meriweather. If Marshall doesnt squat down the goes into his chest, not his head smart guy.

In the first hit the WR has more then enough time to see the defender coming. Calling him a defenseless receiver is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are freaking blind.

I brought visual evidence of Marshall squatting down in the second hit ... and we're blind ?
I brought visual evidence of Jeffery having the ball 5 steps before BM hit ... and we're blind ?
RIGHT :laugh3:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again - a lot has changed in the six years since Sean Taylor passed away. If he continued to head hunt during the last several years he would have incurred the same type of penalties. I believe he would have adjusted just like other great safeties do now (but who knows).

Also - Taylor's play at safety went way beyond simply his ability to hit. As you may recall - he was leading the NFL in INTs just before he died. He also made some of the greatest plays ever for the Skins (e.g. fumble returns for TD vs. Bucs & Eagles & return of blocked FG vs Boys) & he had a nose for the ball & was excellent defensing both the pass & run. So - again - his talent went way beyond simply his ability to deliver a blow.

For the sake of the Skins & Meriweather IMO people need to view this differently. Whether the rules are right or wrong Meriweather needs to change his style (& in the link I provided E. Allen among others stated that is very possible) so that he can be on the field & help the Redskins. Also - again - I would like to hear the take of some Skins fans if the situation was reversed and some Boys or Eagles player did this to one of the Skins players. I guarantee at least a few of you would have a somewhat different take (not all of you).

Oh well - I guess - agree to disagree. Above all else - I want Meriweather (or whoever) to be on the field contributing. One thing is for sure - they need more safety help next season.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smh at Brandon. C'mon man. Just focus on changing your own play.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda agree that guys who beat their girlfriends should be subject to conduct rules. NO one is above the law, and simply put if I got arrested for a domestic beef, my job would have the right to consider me a risk to business operations and take appropriate actions.

On the knee thing, I think he worded it wrong, but I think he is right in how this will eventually impact the league. Guys are going to start hitting lower to avoid all chance of getting fined for head shots. I dont think he was trying to hit either player in the head, but if you are going to lose a game check because a RB dropped down last second and you ended up going helmet to helmet, guys simply will start aiming to make tackles at the waist or lower. That will result in some broken legs, shredded knees and mangled ankles.

It is what it is.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Marshall was cleared in a civil suit about that.

But yes, a code of conduct on off the field issues should play a role in whether a player plays, IMO. I think most good franchises do take this into account already.

And yes, I do agree more leg injuries will probably be the ramifications of smaller acceptable tackling areas.

Regardless, It was not appropriate to make either of those comments aloud to the media. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meriweather talking about targeting knees when his own franchise QB is RG3. Interesting decision....