• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brace yourselves: football style playoffs are coming

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I assume your are correct. What I was actually referring to was the last seed.
In this scenario there would be 7 seeds in each league, like the NFL

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever, at this point.

They've pretty much cheapened the 162 game regular season years ago with this junk.

The one game wildcard is a complete joke. The 98 win 2015 Pirates got totally fucked by it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever, at this point.

They've pretty much cheapened the 162 game regular season years ago with this junk.

The one game wildcard is a complete joke. The 98 win 2015 Pirates got totally fucked by it.
They should have won their division.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have won their division.

Bullshit.

The Pirates had the second best record in baseball that year, but just happened to play in the same division as the team with the best.

There was no justification for that team being in a one game elimination scenario against a team they were 10+ games better than during the season. Absolutely none.

They deserved a post season series.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit.

The Pirates had the second best record in baseball that year, but just happened to play in the same division as the team with the best.

There was no justification for that team being in a one game elimination scenario against a team they were 10+ games better than during the season. Absolutely none.

And in 1993 the Giants won 103 games and missed the playoffs by 1 game because they didn't win their division (the Braves did, yes they were in the NL West once, along with the Reds). So no wildcard and your Pirates would have been at home crying like the 1993 Giants.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in 1993 the Giants won 103 games and missed the playoffs by 1 game because they didn't win their division (the Braves did, yes they were in the NL West once, along with the Reds). So no wildcard and your Pirates would have been at home crying like the 1993 Giants.

That system was still more legitimate than what they have now. At least then you were certain to have the best teams in the championship series.

Playing such a long, extensive season composed of 2-4 game series and having a one game playoff just lacks any sense of logic or continuity.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That system was still more legitimate than what they have now. At least then you were certain to have the best teams in the championship series.

Playing such a long, extensive season composed of 2-4 game series and having a one game playoff just lacks any sense of logic or continuity.
You're gonna really hate what they are talking about then (from the OP)

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're gonna really hate what they are talking about then (from the OP)

Obviously.

The bye, in particular, is aterrible idea as it will put the top seed at a disadvantage, not playing for a week.

It works in football, but the nature of the game is so much different.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit.

I just looked at that season. It was pretty amazing the way it played out. But the Pirates were only 1 game better than the Cubs. That's what was so unusual to me. There's probably never been another season where 3 teams in the same division were that close to 100 wins.
But the justification to the one game playoff was that that was the rules that were in place before the season even started.
But I get it, it sucks if you're a Pirates fan that season.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals, Pirates and Cubs actually had the 3 best records in baseball that year. I don't know how that even happens. They must have all "won the games they were supposed to"

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked at that season. It was pretty amazing the way it played out. But the Pirates were only 1 game better than the Cubs. That's what was so unusual to me. There's probably never been another season where 3 teams in the same division were that close to 100 wins.
But the justification to the one game playoff was that that was the rules that were in place before the season even started.
But I get it, it sucks if you're a Pirates fan that season.

Yeah, I forgot the Cubs won that many games that year probably because of what you said pertaining to something like that being so rare within a division.

However, the fact it leaves the possibility of a scenario like I described is why it need to be done away with.

If they're going to keep it, at least do the seedings by record.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Assuming the current system of 3 Div winners and 2 WC teams…

making the WC ”series” more than 1 game would be a huge disadvantage to the div winners. They would be sitting, getting stale while the lessor teams played their multiple games. Remember 2012 when the Tigers swept their way through the AL playoffs while the Giants played a 7-gamer against the Cards in the NLCS. The Giants went into the Series on a roll while the tigers had been sitting for almost a week. The Tigers were completely flat footed because of their layoff.

Seeding matters. If you want to avoid the 1-gamer, win your division. If you don’t win your division, you need to go through a tougher path to advance. I actually want the WC winner to have to face the #1 seed with a 4-1 HF disadvantage on top of having to burn their top pitcher in the 1-gamer. Don’t like it? Win your division.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals, Pirates and Cubs actually had the 3 best records in baseball that year. I don't know how that even happens. They must have all "won the games they were supposed to"

It's called the Pirates luck, or lack thereof.

The best team they had since Barry Bonds was playing for them, and it's in a division like that.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called the Pirates luck, or lack thereof.

The best team they had since Barry Bonds was playing for them, and it's in a division like that.
Yeah, I understand that. When your team doesn't get that many opportunities to be in the postseason you hate to see them lose it in a one game.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming the current system of 3 Div winners and 2 WC teams…

making the WC ”series” more than 1 game would be a huge disadvantage to the div winners. They would be sitting, getting stale while the lessor teams played their multiple games. Remember 2012 when the Tigers swept their way through the AL playoffs while the Giants played a 7-gamer against the Cards in the NLCS. The Giants went into the Series on a roll while the tigers had been sitting for almost a week. The Tigers were completely flat footed because of their layoff.

Seeding matters. If you want to avoid the 1-gamer, win your division. If you don’t win your division, you need to go through a tougher path to advance. I actually want the WC winner to have to face the #1 seed with a 4-1 HF disadvantage on top of having to burn their top pitcher in the 1-gamer. Don’t like it? Win your division.

Like I said above, if you win your division you're in, but the positioning should be done by record.

The fact we're talking about the issues with layoffs really reflects how they're getting carried away with this shit.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I understand that. When your team doesn't get that many opportunities to be in the postseason you hate to see them lose it in a one game.

Especially considering it happened two years in a row.

It's just a stupid concept in a game that is literally built on series.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said above, if you win your division you're in, but the positioning should be done by record.

The fact we're talking about the issues with layoffs really reflects how they're getting carried away with this shit.
Stop crying and go watch field hockey already....

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially considering it happened two years in a row.

It's just a stupid concept in a game that is literally built on series.
yeah I just looked at it. They actually had 3 straight one game playoffs. They really needed to pick up some rent a starter down the stretch those years.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop crying and go watch field hockey already....

May as well.

It's not like playoff formats are going to be relevant to the Pirates again anytime soon.

The clock is already ticking on the Bryan Reynolds trade.

Until there is a salary floor and cap installed, or Bob Nutting sells the team, there's not much hope.