• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bow Tie Ousted

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not liking what I'm reading about the reasons why. Neukom was running the team how a business should be run, investing in capital. And it appears that certain influential owners (probably the Burns kids) are thinking of the team's finances like one might a household budget.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL.... What the hell is happening? So odd. And yeah, not liking any of these reasons either.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes...

Could the DFA's have had a roll in this? If so, would Baer (assuming he is, in fact, named the replacement) DARE DFA Zito?

Or is this more on the business side and we have absolutely ZERO idea what any of the issues were?

Will this lead to instability in the org which will turn it into the 49ers?

Yikes

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not liking what I'm reading about the reasons why. Neukom was running the team how a business should be run, investing in capital. And it appears that certain influential owners (probably the Burns kids) are thinking of the team's finances like one might a household budget.

GP, I'm not saying that you're wrong, but we don't have the evidence to support that yet. We do know that the ownership group didn't appreciate not being in the loop regarding spending. We can also reasonably infer that there were personality conflicts. More than that, we can't say.

I'm hoping this thread doesn't degenerate into "Newkom wanted to raise payroll and the ownership group is greedy and cheap."

Not that this is what you are saying, but let's wait for the information to come out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
GP, I'm not saying that you're wrong, but we don't have the evidence to support that yet. We do know that the ownership group didn't appreciate not being in the loop regarding spending. We can also reasonably infer that there were personality conflicts. More than that, we can't say.

I'm hoping this thread doesn't degenerate into "Newkom wanted to raise payroll and the ownership group is greedy and cheap."

Not that this is what you are saying, but let's wait for the information to come out.

Well, his "wait and see approach" coupled with what seems like an inclusion of individuals that may or may not be in the best interest of business decisions could rub investors the wrong way. Even then, so what if they got a little butthurt? If it's strictly from a business / profit perspective, then the reasons given from "the source" already suck. Because at best, he brought a world series victory, and at worst, they miss the playoffs while making more money than ever. So, why the dump? It's just all weird.

Decent read on Neukom

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ratto's take:

Neukom apparently spent a chunk on the Giants' World Series windfall in opposition to a majority of the other partners, who apparently wanted more tucked into an account to be used during the inevitable leaner times. Neukom didn't spend it on himself, but he didn't spend it with the partners' agreement, and therein lies the chafe.

There is no telling who organized the opposition, though it is hard to see how this happened without the agreement of Tori Burns and Trina Dean, the heirs to the Harmon and Sue Burns shares, as their one-third of the business had to be among the alienated portion by virtue of the math alone.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, his "wait and see approach" coupled with what seems like an inclusion of individuals that may or may not be in the best interest of business decisions could rub investors the wrong way. Even then, so what if they got a little butthurt? If it's strictly from a business / profit perspective, then the reasons given from "the source" already suck. Because at best, he brought a world series victory, and at worst, they miss the playoffs while making more money than ever. So, why the dump? It's just all weird.

Decent read on Neukom

Really good read.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From today's Chron:

The Chronicle learned that the major partners were not upset over how Neukom spent the money, but rather that he did so without their consent. They learned of some major decisions by reading the newspaper.

Recent meetings of the executive committee, of which Neukom is a member, were said to be contentious over that issue.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From today's Chron:

The Chronicle learned that the major partners were not upset over how Neukom spent the money, but rather that he did so without their consent. They learned of some major decisions by reading the newspaper.

Recent meetings of the executive committee, of which Neukom is a member, were said to be contentious over that issue.

Purdy's "wanting to save the WS windfall for a rainy day fund" report is incompatible with this. Giants now clarifying the reasons, or spinning? Unfortunately, putting doubt into the minds of your customers that the quality of your product is in flux will hurt your sales.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Neukom breaking down a bit during his press conference, as he talks about the changes he has implemented in the organization.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Neukom will be divesting his shares.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lowell Cohn asks about the "rainy day fund". Neukom: "The Giants have very substantial reserves, and don't need to add to it."

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Neukom denies there were communication problems, "as far as he is concerned", citing a much increased information flow from his predecessor.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My take: Neukom forced out by the Burns kids.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take: Neukom forced out by the Burns kids.

I am 100% ignorant, but this scares me.

The last time a local championship team was taken over by the children of the owners, it did not turn out to well. The Spanks have not won the WS since the kiddo's took over, either...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am 100% ignorant, but this scares me.

The last time a local championship team was taken over by the children of the owners, it did not turn out to well. The Spanks have not won the WS since the kiddo's took over, either...

I heard a few years ago that one of the husbands of those kids wanted a substantial role in the organization.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ah.....Ratto is already on the hunt:

The safest and most logical guess, in fact, is that either a big new investor is coming who wants Neukom's operational control (for which there is no evidence), or Burns and Dean are desirous of taking a more active role. Toward that end, Trina's husband Rob Dean has long been believed to have taken an interest in the business.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nerve-wracking time for sure right now.....at least we got a WS ring. Hopefully, whoever it is that wants the control, does something good with it.