• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blue Jays at their other home field: Safeco

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty dope seeing half the crowd in Blue Jays gear, and a huge repeating cheer of "Let's go Blue Jays".

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez why did Perez throw 3 straight fast balls right there. He had him 0-2...throw the breaking ball and strike him out...

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is truly pathetic! RA Dickey just got a standing ovation on our own field...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People on the old espn board got really mad when I'd point out how disgusting it was.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked how much the field is pro Blue Jays. I've been to a game or two when Toronto is in town and I don't ever remember it being like this.

Fuck you M's management, you should be embarrassed.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mariner fans that are showing up for King's Court tomorrow better get behind Felix.

I understand that there were a lot of Blue Jays fans there but there were still more Mariners fan at the Safe and none of them chanted let's go mariners or got loud in crucial moments to counter the Blue Jay fan's chants

This would never happen at Century Link for either the Seahawks or the Sounders...

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mariner fans that are showing up for King's Court tomorrow better get behind Felix.

I understand that there were a lot of Blue Jays fans there but there were still more Mariners fan at the Safe and none of them chanted let's go mariners or got loud in crucial moments to counter the Blue Jay fan's chants

This would never happen at Century Link for either the Seahawks or the Sounders...

those are two franchises that give a fuck about winning.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't get a chance to see the game but was surprised to see the crowd at 30,000 people last night. Guess this explains why.

I don't think I've seen the Mariners play the Blue Jays in a few years and I don't recall it being a lot of Blue Jays fans.

I just know whenever I'd go to see the Mariners play the Red Sox or Yankees, seeing all the fans of those two teams fueled my hatred for them both.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are always a lot of Blue Jays fans at the ballpark when we play them. It just isn't usually that obvious that they're there.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are always a lot of Blue Jays fans at the ballpark when we play them. It just isn't usually that obvious that they're there.

Last night it seemed that 90% were Blue Jays fans.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight has been a complete embarrasement. On a Kings Court night we are still severely out numbered fan wise. We continue to not support Felix, we have made 4 errors and get cheered in our home ball park for everything going wrong.
The Front Office should be ashamed because the scene at Safeco tonight is an absolute joke.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can tell Felix really wanted to have one of those dominant outings to shut up those annoying blue jays fans...but he just didn't have it today...our defense didn't help much either with all those errors...and to be honest the ump really squeeze felix by not giving him those borderline outside strike calls that he usually gets

The Kings Court at least tried to counter the Blue Jay chants with their "let's go mariners" and "usa" chants but nothing was going right and the chants never picked up any momentum

One last thought on the game...are our middle of the lineup guys way too slow and way too prone to hit into double plays? Wish we had an athletic 30 hr guy hitting 3rd or 4th that can leg out those double plays and get the run in from third

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is quite pathetic, such is the state of the Mariners.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can tell Felix really wanted to have one of those dominant outings to shut up those annoying blue jays fans...but he just didn't have it today...our defense didn't help much either with all those errors...and to be honest the ump really squeeze felix by not giving him those borderline outside strike calls that he usually gets

The Kings Court at least tried to counter the Blue Jay chants with their "let's go mariners" and "usa" chants but nothing was going right and the chants never picked up any momentum

One last thought on the game...are our middle of the lineup guys way too slow and way too prone to hit into double plays? Wish we had an athletic 30 hr guy hitting 3rd or 4th that can leg out those double plays and get the run in from third

We might have good speed in the top 3 when Seager is batting third and we might have good speed at the bottom of the lineup with Ackley/Chavez/Saunders in the 8 and 9 spots, but my goodness we're molasses slow in the other spots regardless of the combination of players we send out there to fill those spots. Double plays are going to be an issue if those big guys aren't finding a gap in the outfield or a seat in the stands and good luck going more than station to station if those two things don't happen.

Just to build on the station to station part of that, I've mentioned before that one of my pet peeves with this year's team is when they actually do try to do more than just play station to station with these guys by sending them home from second on a single or from first on a double. It seems like every time they've tried it with those guys, the runner has gotten thrown out, and it's usually not close. Plays like that have even resulted in at least one injury (Morse) and might have resulted in more than one that I might be blanking on at the moment. Given the choice between playing station to station and keeping the momentum going in the process, and trying to score guys that have no business trying to score from certain distances on certain types of hits, I'll take the station to station stuff. It has cost us more than a few runs this year.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I really don't think it's that pathetic and I think some of you are guilty of being hypocrites here.

The M's haven't been consistently good for a decade. In fact they've been really bad for that decade. Canada is huge and they have 1 baseball team. It's not surprising to see a lot of Canadian fans come down when their team is close, or much closer than Toronto is to B.C. There are also tickets to be had cheaply since the M's have yet to show they deserve us spending a bunch of money to go see them play the Blue Jays in August when neither team is anywhere near playoff contention.

This brings me to my hypocritical point. I know for a fact at least one person posting here is a proponent of not rewarding this franchise for their ineptitude. Why then, would the fact that M's fans choosing not to flock to Safeco for meaningless ballgames make you blame the same fans for not selling out the game so Jays fans wouldn't have a seat? It seems like people are actually letting their money do the talking and not showing up until this team proves it can win on a regular basis. This leaves room for Jays fans or any fans for that matter to do what they want. I see no problem with that. If the front office does, perhaps they should give us an incentive to spend our money on the team for once in a decade.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might have good speed in the top 3 when Seager is batting third and we might have good speed at the bottom of the lineup with Ackley/Chavez/Saunders in the 8 and 9 spots, but my goodness we're molasses slow in the other spots regardless of the combination of players we send out there to fill those spots. Double plays are going to be an issue if those big guys aren't finding a gap in the outfield or a seat in the stands and good luck going more than station to station if those two things don't happen.

Just to build on the station to station part of that, I've mentioned before that one of my pet peeves with this year's team is when they actually do try to do more than just play station to station with these guys by sending them home from second on a single or from first on a double. It seems like every time they've tried it with those guys, the runner has gotten thrown out, and it's usually not close. Plays like that have even resulted in at least one injury (Morse) and might have resulted in more than one that I might be blanking on at the moment. Given the choice between playing station to station and keeping the momentum going in the process, and trying to score guys that have no business trying to score from certain distances on certain types of hits, I'll take the station to station stuff. It has cost us more than a few runs this year.

I know for sure it has cost Smoak at least 6-7 rbis this year. He's had so many singles with a guy on second (Morse, Raul, or Morales) and have got nothing to show for it in the rbi category

And I don't understand why we have such a lack of aggressiveness on the base paths with the young guys. Saunders has done a decent job stealing bases (although he has made some crucial base running mistakes of late), but neither miller or Ackley ever attempt to steal any bases. Ackley especially...I remember Wedge once saying Ackley is our fastest guy on the team.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I really don't think it's that pathetic and I think some of you are guilty of being hypocrites here.

The M's haven't been consistently good for a decade. In fact they've been really bad for that decade. Canada is huge and they have 1 baseball team. It's not surprising to see a lot of Canadian fans come down when their team is close, or much closer than Toronto is to B.C. There are also tickets to be had cheaply since the M's have yet to show they deserve us spending a bunch of money to go see them play the Blue Jays in August when neither team is anywhere near playoff contention.

This brings me to my hypocritical point. I know for a fact at least one person posting here is a proponent of not rewarding this franchise for their ineptitude. Why then, would the fact that M's fans choosing not to flock to Safeco for meaningless ballgames make you blame the same fans for not selling out the game so Jays fans wouldn't have a seat? It seems like people are actually letting their money do the talking and not showing up until this team proves it can win on a regular basis. This leaves room for Jays fans or any fans for that matter to do what they want. I see no problem with that. If the front office does, perhaps they should give us an incentive to spend our money on the team for once in a decade.

I can't speak for others...but my take on this is not the actual amount of people attending the games...but how they are choosing to participate in cheering in rooting for their own team when they are at the ball park

Blue Jay fans were obviously littered all over the ball park and I don't blame them...like you said Canada only has one team and it's very rare they play in Seattle

The issue I have with the Mariner fans is the lack of pride that they showed!

If I was at the ball park and I saw the opposing team's fan base going wild on our home field I would try to counter that and rile up our own fans to root on your boys in blue. But it seemed like the fans didn't even make an effort at all in the first game and got over powered. Second game with Felix pitching the Kings Court "made an effort" but they still ended up being overwhelmed by the group of Blue Jay fans

That's what's pathetic to me...the lack of pride-

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for others...but my take on this is not the actual amount of people attending the games...but how they are choosing to participate in cheering in rooting for their own team when they are at the ball park

Blue Jay fans were obviously littered all over the ball park and I don't blame them...like you said Canada only has one team and it's very rare they play in Seattle

The issue I have with the Mariner fans is the lack of pride that they showed!

If I was at the ball park and I saw the opposing team's fan base going wild on our home field I would try to counter that and rile up our own fans to root on your boys in blue. But it seemed like the fans didn't even make an effort at all in the first game and got over powered. Second game with Felix pitching the Kings Court "made an effort" but they still ended up being overwhelmed by the group of Blue Jay fans

That's what's pathetic to me...the lack of pride-

Nowadays most people who go to the Mariners games, don't go for the team but go for the social aspect of it. It's something you can go do with people on a summer night. I honestly have more female friends who go to Mariners games than male friends who do.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we just had a big inning to get that lead back.

And THIS time, Harang isn't there to chunk it away like the first time. Thank God!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
always funny to see the rare poster on here who might as well be howie and chuck making arguments about why Blue Jays fans are more vocal and passionate at their home field, Safeco, than Mariners fans are.

as somebody else said, most mariners fans who show up for games don't even care about baseball. they're at the park because it's nice out and they want to have a wholesome social experience.

that is the fan that howie and chuck have cultivated for the past decade. not many of them show up at all, but evidently, it's plenty to keep them and by extension, the m's owners and investors, happy.