• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blue Angels/Thunderbirds Accidents

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like almost everyone living in the Colorado Springs area, yesterday my eyes were glued to the skies as the Thunderbirds had their annual performance over the Air Force Academy graduation ceremonies. It was a big day here as the POTUS was in town for the commencement address. (There is a rotation among the academies and this was the year for Obama to be here.)

I went to my daughters house as she has a straight on view of the Academy and with my four grandkids we loved the show. I left there and 25 minutes later was at my credit union when I received a text from my daughter that one of the jets had crashed. What?! That seemed impossible. But if you've seen the news it was an amazing outcome. The jets were all coming into the air base and one of the jets (#6) had a mechanical failure and with the leading gear already down the pilot headed it to a field away from a housing area and ejected and the plane landed nearly intact. The pilot was walking around and in fact Obama took time before leaving to shake his hand and thank him for his service. Really amazing.

Meanwhile at almost the same time in TN, the Blue Angels were taking off for a performance and one of the jets (#6) crashed taking off and in this case the pilot veered it away from the houses but terribly unfortunately was killed in the crash. This pilot was from Durango Colorado and was a big Broncos fan. Here is an article from him talking about flying over the Super Bowl this year.
The Durango Herald 02/05/2016 | Former Durango man to fly over Super Bowl

A very sad loss.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old news! ;)

RIP to the man who lost his life.

I always thought it would be sorta cool to fly a plane... A good friend of mine from high school flys for American Eagle. He loves it, but also doesn't get but a minute to his home life before it's time to get back up in the air.

Glad the other man who ejected himself was fine. Good story to tell his friends and family.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I had read somebody mention something on twitter about mourning a pilot but didn't realize it was one of the blue angels.

Very sad to hear all this.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen the Blue Angels many times - and on one occasion - they even took my son into the cockpit to a look see. RIP - sad news.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible News ... Air Force Rules