• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blake Barnett Transferring from Alabama

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami and USC are the two that stand out to me.
I don't know that I'd even consider Miami to be part of the discussion anymore. It's been a good 25 years or so since they put a decent QB into the league. I don't think they even have a QB on a roster in the NFL these days.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that I'd even consider Miami to be part of the discussion anymore. It's been a good 25 years or so since they put a decent QB into the league. I don't think they even have a QB on a roster in the NFL these days.

Probably not - but I was thinking just in historical terms.

Right now, USC has 2 (Palmer & Kessler), NC State has 2 (Rivers & Brissett) and you might even say Russell Wilson, although he transferred to Wisconsin his senior year, and Michigan State has 2 (Hoyer & Cousins). Also Cal has Rodgers + Goff...

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok that's fair. When you were talking about developing them, I thought you meant actually developing them into good NFL QBs. He has admittedly put them in the right place, though to be fair he only spent one year with Christian Ponder. I don't know that anyone thought EJ Manuel was worthy of a 1st round pick. I still scratch my head on that one. He was never even that great of a QB in college.

Correct as head coach but he was the OC, and at that point how much did Bowden even run? But for argumentative purposes, if we don't count Ponder as one of Jimbo's that's fine with me.

But my main point is that there isn't one school/current head coach that is "developing" good QB's after good QB's at the next level. FSU would be the closest in terms of getting to the NFL.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What current coaches actually have a long history of producing QBs? No coach or school really has that distinction. It's pretty rare that you have 2-3 starters at the same time in the NFL from the same school.
Sure. But there are systems that are far far more QB friendly.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct as head coach but he was the OC, and at that point how much did Bowden even run? But for argumentative purposes, if we don't count Ponder as one of Jimbo's that's fine with me.

But my main point is that there isn't one school/current head coach that is "developing" good QB's after good QB's at the next level. FSU would be the closest in terms of getting to the NFL.
Very fair point, forgot that Jimbo was the OC there.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama runs a pro-style offense. I think if McCarron was given the chance he'd be a pretty decent starting QB. If anything, I think it shows that Saban doesn't need elite QBs to succeed. In all honesty, Barnett may be the only 5* QB commit that I can recall Bama having in recent years.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bama has had QB issues for some time now. Wasn't Kiffin brought in to solve this very problem?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama runs a pro-style offense. I think if McCarron was given the chance he'd be a pretty decent starting QB. If anything, I think it shows that Saban doesn't need elite QBs to succeed. In all honesty, Barnett may be the only 5* QB commit that I can recall Bama having in recent years.
Thats,my point. Saban doesn't need 5 star QBS. The talent around their QB is generally enough to win. That means the QB is always going to be more of a game manager. That was true even with McElroy and McCarron and they have the best WRS in CFB. IF you're a 5 star there is no reason to go to Bana and be under utilized. Why is this hard to grasp? It'd be like the best RB in HS going to a team that runs it 12 times a game.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What current coaches actually have a long history of producing QBs? No coach or school really has that distinction. It's pretty rare that you have 2-3 starters at the same time in the NFL from the same school.

Dan Mullen's resume with QB is impressive. Alex Smith, Tebow, and Prescott.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama has had QB issues for some time now. Wasn't Kiffin brought in to solve this very problem?
Bama has had fine CFB quarterback play imo. They just don't develop NFL talent at that position because the system Saban runs is not QB centric

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh? The last QB issue was between Watts and Croyle were we just didn't have good QB play. Coker and Sims (who I assume you are referring to), were about perfect for what we do.

Teams with QB 'issues' don't make it to the playoffs, and both of those QB's did.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats,my point. Saban doesn't need 5 star QBS. The talent around their QB is generally enough to win. That means the QB is always going to be more of a game manager. That was true even with McElroy and McCarron and they have the best WRS in CFB. IF you're a 5 star there is no reason to go to Bana and be under utilized. Why is this hard to grasp? It'd be like the best RB in HS going to a team that runs it 12 times a game.
It's not like he doesn't pass it though. Bama has put some really impressive WRs into the league and that will continue with Ridley. He gets the most out of his QBs, most of which really haven't been that great of talents.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama has had fine CFB quarterback play imo. They just don't develop NFL talent at that position because the system Saban runs is not QB centric

Who are you referring to when you say 'fine play'? Keep in mind you have an elite line, elite backs and receivers like cooper that just left the program. With all bama's talent, I'd rate qb performance as avg or slightly below at best.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you would absolutely go to NC State then right? They're the only school that has 2 QB's that are starting in the NFL(excluding injuries/suspensions) with Rivers and Wilson. Nevermind the fact that they played under two coaches who aren't currently head coaches.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again the ONLY school that has "developed" multiple NFL starters currently is NC State, and the coaches who "developed" them aren't coaching anymore.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? The last QB issue was between Watts and Croyle were we just didn't have good QB play. Coker and Sims (who I assume you are referring to), were about perfect for what we do.

Teams with QB 'issues' don't make it to the playoffs, and both of those QB's did.

Sorry, issues was not the right word. and maybe I'm wrong, because I don't watch all of your games. But it seems that qb play not necessarily being on par with the rest of the talent at bama has been a problem.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you referring to when you say 'fine play'? Keep in mind you have an elite line, elite backs and receivers like cooper that just left the program. With all bama's talent, I'd rate qb performance as avg or slightly below at best.

Well, we probably do not win the NC last year without some of the plays Coker was able to make, especially those that he escaped the pocket and made a play out of nothing.

And 'average' QB play isn't and issue though. We don't need a playmaker under center to win. However, our last 4 QB's are a true freshman in Hurts, Coker, Sims, and McCarron, all are above 'average'. You may not think some are 'elite', but we don't need elite.

We also get confused with a team that runs it all the time, which we don't. We are about 50/50 on run and pass plays, has been since Nick arrived.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, issues was not the right word. and maybe I'm wrong, because I don't watch all of your games. But it seems that qb play not necessarily being on par with the rest of the talent at bama has been a problem.

Oh, well I can agree to that, atleast when you are thinking of Coker and Sims. McCarron was elite for the college level, and Hurts has potential to be as well.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like he doesn't pass it though. Bama has put some really impressive WRs into the league and that will continue with Ridley. He gets the most out of his QBs, most of which really haven't been that great of talents.
No he does not get the most out of his QBS. He manages them and they manage the offense. Having elite level wide outs but no elite QB is an indicator of a non QB friendly system . See Georgia Tech

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would absolutely go to NC State then right? They're the only school that has 2 QB's that are starting in the NFL(excluding injuries/suspensions) with Rivers and Wilson. Nevermind the fact that they played under two coaches who aren't currently head coaches.
So in the last 15 years NCST is the only FBS program with multiple starters at QB or multiple guys long term on rosters? No.