• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Billy Beane Doesn't Care What You Think

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article from Sports on Earth: Billy Beane really doesn't care what you think. | SportsonEarth.com : Richard Justice Article

"What we're trying to do is walk that delicate balance to getting younger and also trying to be as good as we can as quickly as possible," Beane said. "We've never been an organization that says, 'Hey we're going to punt for the next five years and get a top 10 Draft pick.' That's not in our DNA. It's just not who we were, and we're not going to do that. How competitive we are is yet to be determined, but the idea wasn't to not be competitive in an effort to rise up the draft chain."

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet the guy is a deadly chess player.

ratenstein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably didn't care what Callaspo and Gregerson thought either; add two more to the discard pile with the former trophy wife Lester

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Donaldson trade definitely hurt. Donaldson was easily one of my top, if not my favorite, current A's players. Getting Lawrie in return certainly softens that blow because he actually has the potential to surpass Donaldson. This is a guy who displayed 30+ HR power in the Minors (18 HRs in 340 in 2011). His 3.5 year career has been hampered a bit by injuries, but with his all-out play style the turf in Toronto puts a ton of stress on the body over the course of a 162 game season. I'm not going to guarantee it will happen, but I absolutely would not be surprised to see Donaldson and Lawrie switch numbers.

Simply comparing the two players, they both have very good defense and play the game all out all the time. Donaldson might have more raw power, but I think Lawrie might have better "hitter" potential. If we get a .280-.290 average and 28 HRs as a yearly average from the guy then I don't think we will miss Donaldson at all (except that we all really like him).

The other moves have definitely been interesting. Don't for a second think Beane is mailing it in this year. He wouldn't have signed Butler if he was. I was stunned that all we got for Moss was a single minor league player. I'm wondering if he might finally give us an adequate replacement for Mark Ellis.

The rest of the trades have given us both a mix of minor league players who will hit in a couple years coupled with guys who look like they are ready to get a shot this year. All of these guys have pretty good ceilings, and we still have a pretty good looking starting rotation.

Lastly, I'm certain that Beane isn't finished making moves, and I'm definitely interested in seeing (and holding off until after I see) how it all looks in the end and how this season plays out. Remember we were looking terrible up until mid-June is 2012, so please reserve judgement until we see how the team is looking halfway through the season.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Like the positive attitude Isaiah. ^^^

As a new season ticket holder, I hope they play well enough so I can sell a game here or there, without taking a loss. :rollseyes:

ratenstein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other moves have definitely been interesting. Don't for a second think Beane is mailing it in this year. He wouldn't have signed Butler if he was. I was stunned that all we got for Moss was a single minor league player. I'm wondering if he might finally give us an adequate replacement for Mark Ellis.

Sox sent Jemile Weeks outright to Pawtucket. Somebody get Beane on the horn.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Billy Beane will figure this all out. My guess is 5-8 player trade next week with a combined contract cost of $35,000? David Justice still alive? Get him a uni! :D