• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Biggest weaknesses for NFC West teams - ESPN Insider

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that the point of this analysis this far out from the season? Where they have or haven't improved "in theory"? Most people analyzing the Cardinals would agree that "in theory" there O-line improved considerably.

When healthy, Palmer can produce at a close to top-10 level. You really can't predict injuries. Not counting 2014, since 2009, Palmer has missed exactly 1 game due to injury. So, I don't get this "Palmer is fragile" nonsense. A fluke injury doesn't mean he is fragile. And the injury really won't affect him much if at all, since he was basically already as non-mobile as you can get.

Stanton is as good as the QBs you listed. Look at last year's numbers & compare.

I really don't see how they could improve the QB situation. There was no top 10 QB available & the backups available aren't any better than Stanton. Let me know how any other team would do without there top 2 QBs on their roster.

Not really Mike, The pass blocking looks iffy at best and you got a aging immobile QB who just suffered a major injury as your QB. That should be a concern, don't you think? As for the run blocking, meh most likely better, but I think your counting on the Iupati of three years ago not how he's played the last two years. So I disagree with your on paper the O-line has gotten better.

Obviously others agree, thus this article.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disrespect cdumler but was this a AFCE thread? Just throwing it out there before all the Pat haters try to accuse the Pat fans of hijacking another thread.
I for one enjoyed what you and Southie had to say.
Glad you brought it up, I was thinking the same thing. Lets try to say on topic, shall we guys?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you brought it up, I was thinking the same thing. Lets try to say on topic, shall we guys?
Just trying to do my part to rid the world of extremists.
Good thing Wilson is an extremely gifted runner with some of those stats. Actually I didn't see too many weaknesses with AZ last year minus their QB injuries.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really Mike, The pass blocking looks iffy at best and you got a aging immobile QB who just suffered a major injury as your QB. That should be a concern, don't you think? As for the run blocking, meh most likely better, but I think your counting on the Iupati of three years ago not how he's played the last two years. So I disagree with your on paper the O-line has gotten better.

I agree with Harold's view on Iupati.
Ask any SF fan about his performance and attitude the last couple of years. He wanted some big $ from SF and their FO passed. The fans had grown old with Iupati.
Can't blame any player for wanting some big ching wah though.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No wideout currently on the Rams roster has ever caught 50 passes or gained 800 yards in a season.
No wideout currently on the Rams roster has ever had a good QB throwing them the ball, either

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Seattle's line was on shaky footing anyway, and then it lost center Max Unger in the Jimmy Graham trade, while left guard James Carpenter signed with the Jets in free agency. The Seahawks have no proven options to replace them. Of the candidates on hand, Lemuel Jeanpierre has seen the most action with 11 career NFL starts (including three last year at center), while Alvin Bailey (three starts at guard last season, two at tackle) and Patrick Lewis (four starts at center) never started a game before 2014.

Seattle's OL has been a shambles a few seasons. Injuries were the largest cause. Seattle ended up using a 4th string C for a 3rd of the season last year.
There is lots of work to be done on the OL. There are 2 vacancies and a hand full of guys trying to take those spots.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No wideout currently on the Rams roster has ever had a good QB throwing them the ball, either
That is true.
It is kinda funny to hear Philly fans think he is an outstanding QB but just had a short term injury issue.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, with Dockett gone and Campbell getting older they really should have found another piece or two for the d-line.
But you can't fault them for spending the money on O-line which was much needed.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true.
It is kinda funny to hear Philly fans think he is an outstanding QB but just had a short term injury issue.
Whats ridiculous about the article is that they dont point out how totally unproven the Rams oline is. Clearly the biggest question mark on the team.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Powers or Bethel will start opposite Peterson. It's Bethel's time to shine. Big things are expected from him. The secondary is healthy & will be better than last season.

There is a reason why Peterson struggled the first third of the season.
Bethel makes plays when he is on the field. I agree. This will be a break out year for him.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Harold's view on Iupati.
Ask any SF fan about his performance and attitude the last couple of years. He wanted some big $ from SF and their FO passed. The fans had grown old with Iupati.
Can't blame any player for wanting some big ching wah though.
We'll see. I don't expect any Niner fan to say positive things about an ex-player.
Not to mention, I don't hold the niner front office in very high regard considering some of the moves they have made.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Cardinal online is ther biggest weakness then we might see a big year from the Cards barring injury. Their online was solid last year in pass blocking and average, at best, in run blocking. They have only added to their depth.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. I don't expect any Niner fan to say positive things about an ex-player.
Not to mention, I don't hold the niner front office in very high regard considering some of the moves they have made.
The 9er fans were down on him all year. many complained about him throughout the year.
Maybe he restores himself in Az but I doubt he is anything better than average at best.
Agreed about the 9er FO, but sometimes they make the right decision.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that the point of this analysis this far out from the season? Where they have or haven't improved "in theory"? Most people analyzing the Cardinals would agree that "in theory" there O-line improved considerably.

When healthy, Palmer can produce at a close to top-10 level. You really can't predict injuries. Not counting 2014, since 2009, Palmer has missed exactly 1 game due to injury. So, I don't get this "Palmer is fragile" nonsense. A fluke injury doesn't mean he is fragile. And the injury really won't affect him much if at all, since he was basically already as non-mobile as you can get.

Stanton is as good as the QBs you listed. Look at last year's numbers & compare.

I really don't see how they could improve the QB situation. There was no top 10 QB available & the backups available aren't any better than Stanton. Let me know how any other team would do without there top 2 QBs on their roster.

The "Palmer is fragile" logic is just being opportunistic for fans to put somebody down. I don't get the Palmer bashing.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "Palmer is fragile" logic is just being opportunistic for fans to put somebody down. I don't get the Palmer bashing.
Having a second ACL injury is serious for anyone, at 34 even more so.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't believe 49er fans have any ill will towards Iupati. Seemed like a really nice guy and had alot of good things to say about the team after leaving. The FO would have kept Iupati for the right price but did not believe he was worth top OL money. He has become injury prone and his pass blocking hasn't been very good. 49er fans have been complaining about his pass blocking all year and many did not want to see him resigned for big money given the team's salary cap constraints. The stats listed on the article aren't surprising to those of us who have watched all the 49er games this past season. Iupati flat out whiffed on blocks last season leaving defenders a straight path to the QB. Even 49er TV analyst Tim Ryan commented on Iupati's poor pass blocking during the season. Hopefully Iupati regains his old form and can stay healthy.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe 49er fans have any ill will towards Iupati. Seemed like a really nice guy and had alot of good things to say about the team after leaving. The FO would have kept Iupati for the right price but did not believe he was worth top OL money. He has become injury prone and his pass blocking hasn't been very good. 49er fans have been complaining about his pass blocking all year and many did not want to see him resigned for big money given the team's salary cap constraints. The stats listed on the article aren't surprising to those of us who have watched all the 49er games this past season. Iupati flat out whiffed on blocks last season leaving defenders a straight path to the QB. Even 49er TV analyst Tim Ryan commented on Iupati's poor pass blocking during the season. Hopefully Iupati regains his old form and can stay healthy.
I get it. Sometimes you have to pay a bit more to get a player to leave. It is very similar to the Dockett situation. Regardless, it is an upgrade in the run blocking which is what they were looking for.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A potential weakness for SEattle is GASP the secondary!!! Maxwell is gone, Cary Williams brought in to replace him.....Williams was burnt toast all day long last year, now im sure he will be a bit better in Seattles system with our secondary tuteledge but behind him is Tharold Simon who was used and abused by every team we played in the playoffs last year.

Lane is out with a couple gruesome injuries,

Sherman Thomas and chancellor all played in the super bowl with injuries that got opporated on right after.

Scary stuff.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make it sound as if the "might NFC West" is deteriorating.....

Uh, they kind of are. Fitz/Palmer aren't getting any younger and the Cards still have some of the same question marks as last year. Rams are a complete ? at the moment. San Fran has completely imploded and is a former shell of the great Harbaugh team they had 2 years ago. Justin Smith was the nail in the coffin for that D. And Seattle got Graham but they have HUGE ? marks on O-Line and lost some decent depth all over the team. Plus Lynch is another year older.... Ultimately Seattle is going in this season with more ? marks than last.