• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big names dropping like flies

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were some Florida fans with dreams of Steve Spurrier making a triumphant return to Gainesville, but Spurrier put those hopes to bed Monday, saying, "I've already had my run at Florida. They need to hire a coach that hopefully will be there for 10 years."

Then there was Bob Stoops, who has been mentioned as a possibility at Florida in previous coaching searches. Stoops once again made it clear Monday that he's not interested in the Florida job, or any other gig that isn't Oklahoma.

"All I want to be is a candidate at Oklahoma," said Stoops when asked about the Florida job. "I'm not a candidate anywhere else. I'm finished with that question."

While those two pulled themselves, ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy tweeted that Arizona's Rich Rodriguez and Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, two other names mentioned frequently, will not be among the coaches Florida considers to replace Muschamp.

So now four big names are removed from the list.

Big names already being removed from Florida coaching search - CBSSports.com

How far has Florida fallen that they cannot attract the big names like Stoops, Spurrier, Mullen or Rodriguez?

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the 3rd or 4th time Bob has turned them down. Maybe they will get the hint? :noidea:

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm, don’t fool yourselves fellas. Florida is a top draw. A couple of the guys you mentioned are a pacemaker away from retirement and a full-time nurse. So don’t kid yourself that they would have been asked anyway.

The only problem with Florida is Florida. Namely Jeremy Foley. Dude couldn’t hire a head ball coach if one fell out of a tree and landed on him. Turrible.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the 3rd or 4th time Bob has turned them down. Maybe they will get the hint? :noidea:

No one leaves ND USC TX OU MICH tOSU Bama for anywhere else. When will these a-nuts get this???

:L

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Tressel or Chucky :yahoo:

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What are you laughing at?
Your last coaching choice was our dc.

You fill your head coaching positions with other teams' leftovers.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm, don’t fool yourselves fellas. Florida is a top draw. A couple of the guys you mentioned are a pacemaker away from retirement and a full-time nurse. So don’t kid yourself that they would have been asked anyway.

The only problem with Florida is Florida. Namely Jeremy Foley. Dude couldn’t hire a head ball coach if one fell out of a tree and landed on him. Turrible.

Your school will get someone BIG for sure. This Foley must be your AD? Perhaps a collective committee search instead of a lone wolf decision is in order here. Flo President might want to step up to the plate and take a swing here.

Good thing is Flo has a lot of time to decide.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He does have a very good point. Florida is a good program, but it isn't a top draw for college football coaches. Your fan base alone insures that no one wants to stay for long.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you think any of those four would be interested in Alabama either?

Better question is would Bama be interested in one of them?

This is not about Bama, so who cares if they would or wouldn't.

I place my trust in Battle when the time comes to find the right man for the job, but till then we got one of the best in the business.

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your school will get someone BIG for sure. This Foley must be your AD? Perhaps a collective committee search instead of a lone wolf decision is in order here. Flo President might want to step up to the plate and take a swing here.

Precisely. You can see this as an outsider, and plenty of Gators have seen it and commented on this for quite a while. Yes Foley is the AD. Quite possibly the best AD in the country if you look at all sports for men’s and women’s combined. Look up his record of Natties in all the various sports. Quite impressive. And there lies the dichotomy: He can’t hire a football coach to save his life. He’s made miserable mistakes so far ( and Urban Meyer doesn’t count for him because Urban came with the President from Utah when he came to UF).

It would be like doing every single thing on your yearly job performance above and beyond expectation, yet fail at your number one objective. Anyway, your idea of a committee search has been mentioned, with the President having some serious weighting into the final decision. It is warranted here. And yes, despite the lunatic ravings of some, Florida is a top job. Only the insane would think otherwise.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better question is would Bama be interested in one of them?

This is not about Bama, so who cares if they would or wouldn't.

I place my trust in Battle when the time comes to find the right man for the job, but till then we got one of the best in the business.

When you are taking elitest shots like "my have they fallen" it is very relevant. Stoops isn't going anywhere. RR has turned down plenty of high end jobs including Alabama prior to Saban. Spurrier is on the fast track to retirement and wouldn't go anywhere.....and Mullen had a falling out with the higher ups at Florida after already coaching there previously.

Those 4 not going to Florida has nothing to do with "how badly they have fallen." If you are going to make a troll thread at least put some effort into it.

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have a very good point. Florida is a good program, but it isn't a top draw for college football coaches. Your fan base alone insures that no one wants to stay for long.

Steve Spurrier did.

Won one national championship (1997),
Won six SEC championships (1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000).
Named SEC Coach of the Year five times (1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996).
Won at least nine games in each of his twelve seasons, one of only three coaches in major college history to do so.
Averaged more than ten wins per season.

When he started in 1990, he immediately turned around a program that was in the tank. Florida fans LOVED him. And still do. And not just because he was a favorite son. He was a winner and he instilled fear in the rest of the SEC and the CFB world in general.

So yeah, to a great coach what’s not to love about a chance to coach at Florida. The recruiting grounds alone have to make it enticing. Until you’ve lived down here you don’t really know, but when UF is on, FSU Miami and all the rest stand aside and take the scraps from recruiting that we don’t want. It is the Flagship University of the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. Sure it’s a challenge now, but not that far away from being right back in the mix. Someone smart will see that and make it happen.

Fans are fans no matter what top school you follow. I remember hearing rabid tOSU fans calling for Tressel’s hide, and rabid Bama fans wanting to castrate Mike Shula back in the day as well. It’s par for the course.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida should be able to get a good coach.

What I dont understand is, they came out and said they'd have one by Christmas? Dont get that. Dont think the process is that easy?

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida should be able to get a good coach.

What I dont understand is, they came out and said they'd have one by Christmas? Dont get that. Dont think the process is that easy?

That’s our retard Jeremy Foley! I swear to God he says the stupidest things. There are essentially 2 months from today to make an exhaustive search. That could include a name or two from the NFL. Why limit yourself on day one of the search? He is an idiot and is negotiating with himself and looks like an idiot......

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Flo is set on staying at Progressive