• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the real mistake was not WV, it was TCU over Louisville.

This.

WVU is a big state school who can bring the conference tv sets on the east coast. They have a decent G5 program in the state but realistically probably dominate the conversation there.

I'd take them over Louisville but I really wish we would have gotten either both or WVU and Pitt. I think long term any of these would have been better than TCU but they were in the right place at the right time.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, that's easily the biggest stadium out of all these teams. Also bigger than some big 12 schools, if I had to guess bigger than Baylor, TCU, possibly ISU and Kansas.

I've been in UCF, actually first game when it opened, as they were playing Texas. It is not very big.
Driven past BYU's stadium, but have not seen a game there. Believe it does hold more than Baylor, TCU and ISU.

Have seen a couple games in Lawrence, when Texas played there and I was either in St Louis or Kansas City and just drove over. It's a little old stadium as well.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) sure, but WVU's proximity to large markets such as Pittsburgh and dc can make this less of a weakness
2) Louisvilles academic ranking is 8 spots a above WVU, that's hardly a difference
3) endowment really has nothing to do with it (per your land grant argument)
4) They are 50/50 in the sports that matter. Sure Lousiville is stronger in basketball but I'd argue WVU is stronger in football
5) Enrollment WVU 28,772 Louisville 22,599 (was wrong there I admit)
6) ok
Pittsburg and DC do not count as WV markets, it would be like saying Alanta is an Auburn market and it doesn't work that way. The networks give you credit for the state you are in and that's pretty much it especially when pricing conference networks.

Actually endowments do matter because they are an indication of both Alumni and contributions to the University. It is a standard that applies to all Universities. For example Alabama is not a land grant university while Auburn is but it doesn't make one difference. Alabama's endowment is 667mm while Auburn's is 641mm so that isn't a huge deal but if Bama's was 300mm more than Auburn you better believe it would be.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburg and DC do not count as WV markets, it would be like saying Alanta is an Auburn market and it doesn't work that way. The networks give you credit for the state you are in and that's pretty much it especially when pricing conference networks.

Actually endowments do matter because they are an indication of both Alumni and contributions to the University. It is a standard that applies to all Universities. For example Alabama is not a land grant university while Auburn is but it doesn't make one difference. Alabama's endowment is 667mm while Auburn's is 641mm so that isn't a huge deal but if Bama's was 300mm more than Auburn you better believe it would be.

Pittsburgh is indeed a WV market, I know with the SEC and Big ten network your statement makes sense but look at the deal WV got for tier 3. 9mil a year, that almost doubles what the SEC got from the SEC network this year.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh is indeed a WV market, I know with the SEC and Big ten network your statement makes sense but look at the deal WV got for tier 3. 9mil a year, that almost doubles what the SEC got from the SEC network this year.
What the SEC got last year which was the first partial year and we paid off the start up cost. The 2nd year's distributions have not been made so no one knows what they will be.

You post that 5mm sum over and over but never factor in any of the other variables which is a little misleading.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College Football TV Ratings — Sports Media Watch

Glance through this and it will show you that WV from a TV perspective is not that big of a draw. Because let's face it the numbers do not lie. Last year their best showings were the bowl game and the TCU game (which didn't go over 1mm viewers).

To put in perspective even Auburn vs Ole Miss are over 3mm and Auburn was terrible.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the SEC got last year which was the first partial year and we paid off the start up cost. The 2nd year's distributions have not been made so no one knows what they will be.

You post that 5mm sum over and over but never factor in any of the other variables which is a little misleading.

I just post facts, the SEC got 5mil. West Virginia got 9mil. I don't doubt that the SEC payout will get larger, but until it does all you're doing is guessing.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just post facts, the SEC got 5mil. West Virginia got 9mil. I don't doubt that the SEC payout will get larger, but until it does all you're doing is guessing.
Yeah yeah but you know it's troll bait to keep throwing it out there. I've got no problem with your motivation but let's not pretend you're not telling the whole story either.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah yeah but you know it's troll bait to keep throwing it out there. I've got no problem with your motivation but let's not pretend you're not telling the whole story either.

It's not troll bait, it pertained to the topic of West Virginia. You discredit them, but money talks and it says for some reason they're a valuable brand. So Valuable that they currently make more than the SEC on tier 3 content.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not troll bait, it pertained to the topic of West Virginia. You discredit them, but money talks and it says for some reason they're a valuable brand. So Valuable that they currently make more than the SEC on tier 3 content.
Your statement is flawed and you know it.

1. The SEC makes more per school than the Big 12 regardless.
2. The Tier 3 statement is ignoring quite a bit of information:
a. WV number includes radio money
b. It ignores the SEC money applied to the startup network costs.
c. It fails to consider the SEC money was a partial year.

Your Conclusion = Troll bait

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. The SEC makes more per school than the Big 12 regardless. (no arguments)
a. WV number includes radio money (does SEC radio $ get them past 9mil)
b. It ignores the SEC money applied to the startup network costs. (suckers have to pay their own start up costs)
c. It fails to consider the SEC money was a partial year. (what's the new # then)

My conclusion = FACT

But I'm sure once the new #'s come out, you'll tag me with the new article. I will gladly applaud the SEC on their historic tier 3 $$$, my point on here was to point out West Virginia is no anchor, most teams would kill for 9mil a year for tier 3.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of, how do the miners look this season?
I don't think they'll be very good at all. They graduated a lot of the O-line which is where Kugler hang's his hat since he played and coached it in both college and the NFL. (That part I like because I used to watch our RBs and QBs run for their lives.)

He fired a lot of staff last year so there is that too.

He's convinced he can't recruit enough talent and depth on defense to have them on the field very long...which is probably correct. But not many can! So he's hitched his wagon to a ball control offense...mainly the running game and use a lot of clock in between plays to shorten the game. The anti HUNH if you will. (He's got a little of Bret Beilema in him. Only problem is they don't have the talent to outphysical very many people)

They have almost zero chance if they fall behind much. That means they are just finishing the game by the middle of the 2nd quarter way too often...even when they are only down a couple of scores. The only way they'll come back from deficits is if the other team hands them the ball a few times.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. The SEC makes more per school than the Big 12 regardless.
a. WV number includes radio money
b. It ignores the SEC money applied to the startup network costs.
c. It fails to consider the SEC money was a partial year.

off on a tangent...saw earlier last week about the 'radio money' for Texas, and I'd never known/thought about it.
With a total payout of about 46Million last year, that included the Tier 1, Tier 3(Lhn) and the Longhorn Radio Network.

So, would be interesting to see the money schools make off their radio networks.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
off on a tangent...saw earlier last week about the 'radio money' for Texas, and I'd never known/thought about it.
With a total payout of about 46Million last year, that included the Tier 1, Tier 3(Lhn) and the Longhorn Radio Network.

So, would be interesting to see the money schools make off their radio networks.
I'm curious about this for Nebraska as well. I know they have the Husker Sports Network through IMG and the stations must pay out the nose for it for all the advertising they do. There's usually what seems like 30 seconds of talking followed by three minutes of commercials whenever there's not actually a game on.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious about this for Nebraska as well. I know they have the Husker Sports Network through IMG and the stations must pay out the nose for it for all the advertising they do. There's usually what seems like 30 seconds of talking followed by three minutes of commercials whenever there's not actually a game on.
:shocked: I looked this up and we signed a deal with IMG for $112.5M over 13 years. That's $8.7M per year, and NU keeps $31M in sponsorship rights with the deal, making the whole thing worth over $11M per year. That seems like a lot.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) sure your tangent makes sense however factoring in close HUGE markets is absolutely considered in market size. Auburn doesn't have to worry about this because they are in SEC.

2) So being a University that can receive federal funding for such endeavors as agriculture isn't important but seeing how many alumni we have are?? GTFO with this bs.

WVU > Louisville

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other variables? Do tell