• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

best move, worst move

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
After 6 games, what's your best offseason move by the Niners front office and their worst move?

Here are mine:

Best: Although Boldin was a steal, I think the move that will pay huge dividends for years to come is the decision to not resign Goldson and opting to move up in the draft to get Reid instead.

Worst: Gambling on adding Marcus Cooper to the PS only to see him get snatched up by the Chiefs. He looked good in preseason and still looks good for the Chiefs. He could've been a pretty cheap option at CB for the next 4 years.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Moves: Trading Alex Smith for 2 second round picks, Ian William and Dorsey, and Boldin

Worst Moves: Trying to put too many good young players on the practice squad for veterans who are worse. BJ Daniels for Skelton, Cooper for Cox, Gray for Celek. Also trading 2 OLBs for 7th round picks and now no Aldon Smith for a long time

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best offseason move: Eric Reid

Worst offseason move: Not paying close enough attention to Aldon Smiths troubles.

Best during season move:trading aj jenkins for baldwin.

Worst during season move: John Skelton/BJ Daniels

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Move: Reid at S, Boldin for a 6th was brilliant, trading AJ.

Worst Move: Letting Cooper go, allowing Dixon on the field for anything but ST.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Best offseason move: Eric Reid

Worst offseason move: Not paying close enough attention to Aldon Smiths troubles.

Best during season move:trading aj jenkins for baldwin.

Worst during season move: John Skelton/BJ Daniels

just wondering, at what point does a team 'jump into' a players life? to what extent should an NFL team get involved in a players private life? this assumes they don't have any 'drinking' language in the player contract.

no real answers cause its gray, just wondering.................

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Move: has to go with Drafting Reid, Trading Smith for 2 2nd picks and pick up of Boldin(imagine we didn't have him, WOW)

Worst move: Trading our Depth for 2 7th rd picks. Made no sense. We had enough picks. maybe 1 but not 2.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just wondering, at what point does a team 'jump into' a players life? to what extent should an NFL team get involved in a players private life? this assumes they don't have any 'drinking' language in the player contract.

no real answers cause its gray, just wondering.................

He did have a few problems from before. He was stabbed breaking up a fight. I think he had already had a DUI at that point as well. If you are investing millions of dollars I think you have to involved in their personal lives.

BEST MOVE: Not overpaying for Goldson and aggressively drafting Reid, who has played just as good as Goldson already.

WORST MOVE: I think is the way they have changed their offense, and the inconsistencies of the playcalling/offensive approach to games. Figure out what kind of team you want to be and be that team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He did have a few problems from before. He was stabbed breaking up a fight. I think he had already had a DUI at that point as well. If you are investing millions of dollars I think you have to involved in their personal lives.

BEST MOVE: Not overpaying for Goldson and aggressively drafting Reid, who has played just as good as Goldson already.

WORST MOVE: I think is the way they have changed their offense, and the inconsistencies of the playcalling/offensive approach to games. Figure out what kind of team you want to be and be that team.

yeah, he did exhibit stuff earlier, but was just thinking about it from Aldon's point of view? it is good your team will 'care' about you off the field, but there comes a point where i'd be thinking "hey, ain't my personal life, MY own business??!!"

again it is gray, no real answers.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well atleast he saw that something was wrong. many would of said Im fine and keep playing. I dont get why we are still paying him when we he isnt playing. He better remember this and give us a discount when contract year comes around.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best move: getting aldon into rehab

worst move: hunter not seeing the field, stupid playcalling.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best: Getting two 2nds for Alex... Yeah I'm going with that with Reid at 2

Worst: NT would've been here but Ian was a cheap injury that can't be helped so I'd go with Cooper going to KC and number 2 hiring Mangini

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Moves: Trading Alex Smith for 2 second round picks, Ian William and Dorsey, and Boldin

Worst Moves: Trying to put too many good young players on the practice squad for veterans who are worse. BJ Daniels for Skelton, Cooper for Cox, Gray for Celek. Also trading 2 OLBs for 7th round picks and now no Aldon Smith for a long time

I totally concur with your examples. Celek would have made it though waivers, but not Gray. They then replaced Gray with Harper who had to be kept untouchable on the 53 man roster. Letting Cooper go was a real mistake because they need young, signed cb's for the future, not old expiring contract veterans. The kept the OLB's who they thought were expendable on the roster because they expected to trade them for higher picks than the two seventh rounders they ended up with. The Aldon Smith situation aside, they exchanged Gray and Cooper for 2 seventh rounders. Daniels was a casualty of Harbs mistake with McCoy. There were entirely too many mistakes made in respect of roster moves this off season.

Neither Harbs or TB seem to have a clue on how to build a viable 53 man roster. Harbs never had to deal with a limited roster or waiver wires in college. He is highly inexperienced in that respect. TB seems to be geared to acquiring future capital at the expense of the present. They both seem to possess the same weakness as far as roster building so I have little faith in them as a team in this respect.

Would like to add on other mistake. Not seeing reality and giving up on AJ loose earlier. They spent entirely to much time, effort and reps both in training camp and preseason in trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse. That time and effort could have been better spent in evaluating and correcting the weakness at wide receiver. The effect was that both Moore and Williams were given their spots by default without having to actually prove themselves in preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well atleast he saw that something was wrong. many would of said Im fine and keep playing. I dont get why we are still paying him when we he isnt playing. He better remember this and give us a discount when contract year comes around.

If he actually recognized that something was wrong or not is not that clear. He was facing a lot of repercussions from the league so his moves might not have been that voluntary. He could have purely been following his lawyers advice. Basically a damage control move. Never the less the effect of getting him into rehab is still the same either way.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best move: Getting Boldin on the cheap
Worst Move: Letting both Nose Tackles walk

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Move: has to go with Drafting Reid, Trading Smith for 2 2nd picks and pick up of Boldin(imagine we didn't have him, WOW)

Worst move: Trading our Depth for 2 7th rd picks. Made no sense. We had enough picks. maybe 1 but not 2.

Skuta and Lemonier!! Worse is probably letting Cooper go.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Because if we weren't, the NFLPA would be all over our asses. The fact that we're helping him get help and paying him his full salary is why no grievances were filed.