• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals vs. Oakland - Playoffs? Playoffs!

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we're making this game a bit more interesting than it needs to be.

but, gotta hand it to the raiders defense.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon Bengals! Dig deep & get this W!

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take it but the refs blew the whistle and the defenders stopped
Nope.

Bengal's QB Joe Burrow was running towards the sideline. At the last second before he went out of bounds, he threw a pass that was caught in the end zone. The sideline ref thought Burrow was out of bounds when he threw the ball and blew the whistle when the ball was about a foot away from the receiver.

According to the rules, if there is an inadvertent whistle the play is run again. However, replay showed that 1) Burrows was indisputably in bounds when he threw and 2) the ball was about a foot away from the receiver when the whistle blew and there was no Raider defender anywhere near him who could have changed the outcome if the whistle hadn't been blown.

This put the officials in a bind. If they strictly followed the rule book to the letter, the official's mistake would have cost the Bengals a TD. OTOH, the premature whistle had no effect on the outcome of the play.

So they did what IMO was the right thing. They let the play stand with the outcome it would have had if they hadn't blown the whistle.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't hear me bitching about the refs like some in the NFL forum game threads.....that's for losers. We have a bonehead OC who had us run the ball 14 times in comparison to 54 pass attempts.

Anyhoo, congrats, Y'all had the better team tonight.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Bengals and fans. Helluva win. It's been a long time.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't hear me bitching about the refs like some in the NFL forum game threads.....that's for losers. We have a bonehead OC who had us run the ball 14 times in comparison to 54 pass attempts.

Anyhoo, congrats, Y'all had the better team tonight.
I know there’s no moral victories, but with all that the raiders had to deal with this year,they put up a hell of a fight today and the last month of the season. They probably won’t, but they should keep that coach.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there’s no moral victories, but with all that the raiders had to deal with this year,they put up a hell of a fight today and the last month of the season. They probably won’t, but they should keep that coach.
I would really like Harbaugh. And as a longshot Flores.

It'd be a Raider thing for them to rally around him this season and then suck the next 2-3 years or as long as he lasted as HC.

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been celebrating the Bengals first playoff win since I was 9 years old with Crown Royal...never tasted better. I'm a happy fan no matter what happens the rest of this post season. I'm sure some fuckin Yinzer will be by soon enough to say "Congrats on winning your Superbowl" , but fuck em. It's been 31 years, this was a goddamn SB for us fans. I've never loved a Bengals team more than I do this squad.

Having said that...HOOOOOLLLLY SHIT were those refs garbage. They said something about there being 5 backup refs on the sidelines and all I could wonder was why they weren't switching them out for the turds on the field.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn’t be more thrilled. It just felt like it was time. Burrow is special. Chase is special. And this team is just different than any Bengals team I’ve watched in my lifetime. They truly believe they can beat anyone, and a lot of that swagger stems from #9.

I was a month old the last time Cincinnati experienced a playoff victory. 31 years is a long ass time to wait for your favorite team to experience some form of success. Hell how many years have some of us been on this board wondering if we’d ever experience a win again?

Truly a day to remember for a lot of people. And as Joe and Zac both said, they aren’t done yet.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that this thread is entitles "bengals vs OAKLAND..."

I'm tickled to death! 58 year old LIFELONG RAIDER here. That was RAIDER football! Penalties, weird plays, that is what being a RAIDER fan was like growing up. We're getting there.

Good game and well done Bengals. Still confused about the whistle play but ... oh well... I think it was going to be a TD anyway.
Good luck next week.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 15 and in attendance when we beat the Cody Carlson led Oilers.... It all felt very blah that day - As a 15 year old that just watched the Bengals play a competitive Super Bowl two seasons earlier (and the Reds win a World Series earlier that year), I guess I just figured it was normal.

This was a difficult game to watch - I was just too nervous. I'm glad the streak is over. I love this team and hope they can win two more, but I'm thrilled with the season no matter what happens from here out.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was working in the mcdonalds at the airport when we played that last superbowl.

the manager kept yelling at me for watching the game, but there was hardly anyone in the store during the game.

I guess he shouldn't of set up the tv, ha ha.

we switched the orange soda syrup with the strawberry syrup so that we could sell orange flavored "Icky shakes". my idea.