• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals opt out of the final two years on Andre Smith's contract

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There was alot of talk on the old boards when he signed his contract about the length of the deal.

Twitter

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch....what a bummer for Cinci. Another boom or bust player turned bust...

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Do they even employ professional evaluators in Cinci? I remember on the Bengals year of Hard Knocks, watching this guy for about two minutes and thinking "uh oh".

Tangentially, Rick Reilly tends to be a douche but he had a classic slam on the Bengals on ESPN.com this week. Said they employ a small fraction of scouts and related staff that other teams do.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was telling everyone the guy was going to be a bust.

I'm not a professional NFL scout, but just from the way he handled the combine and showed up completely out of shape, that was a big enough indication to me that he was going to be a bust.

smith-running.jpg

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Injuries derailed the formative part of his career. I would seriously consider putting a waiver claim on him if he's cut. I'm telling you, he'll be a great RT for us over Davis. At worse he would be an elite guard jone day ust like Iupati if we wanted him to make that small position change.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put a waiver claim on him. He's talented, he just a mental midget.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't we have to take on his contract if we signed him off waivers? If not then it's definitely worth it. I actually considered Anthony Davis the Andre Smith of last years draft class. However, Davis does have a better work ethic.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Injuries derailed the formative part of his career. I would seriously consider putting a waiver claim on him if he's cut. I'm telling you, he'll be a great RT for us over Davis. At worse he would be an elite guard jone day ust like Iupati if we wanted him to make that small position change.

Did he get injured eating too many doughnuts on the sofa in front of the TV?

Maybe he was hanging out with Bryant McKinnie in the offseason.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What the hell, why not?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wouldn't we have to take on his contract if we signed him off waivers? If not then it's definitely worth it. I actually considered Anthony Davis the Andre Smith of last years draft class. However, Davis does have a better work ethic.

I think many might want to take a look into this situation a little more. I could be wrong but I don't know if he's as close to being cut as some might be thinking. I haven't been able to find anything right now that's suggesting he's close to being on the way out anymore.

Everything I have been able to find is suggesting that he's finally healthy, in shape, and he reported to camp at an acceptable weight. The articles I've read are just saying that they voided the last two years of his deal and that he has two years left still.

Now, I can't find anything that states too much about him from a performance standpoint but my point was that I can't find anything that suggests he's as much of a mess as he was a while back.

Just one example (albeit breif): Smith’s option not picked up, contract remains at four years | Bengals Blog

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought he also signed a contract that was well under his draft spot bracket. I randomly remember that. Might have been something with his contract escalating in the final two years for them not picking it up? Possible.

stilla9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like if we pluged him in at RG..

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I thought since they didn'y pick up his contract option and if nobody else does he becomes an URAF?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel the need to make a slight correction to what I said. I believe the way it was worded was that the Bengals had to pay an option bonus (undisclosed) in his contract, which if they did so it would extend his contract from 2012 to 2014. They have chosen not to pay the option bonus, which eliminates those final two years. He is still signed for this season and next.

I'm not sure if that is MUCH different than what I originally said but it makes more sense when I read it out loud to myself.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think many might want to take a look into this situation a little more. I could be wrong but I don't know if he's as close to being cut as some might be thinking. I haven't been able to find anything right now that's suggesting he's close to being on the way out anymore.

Everything I have been able to find is suggesting that he's finally healthy, in shape, and he reported to camp at an acceptable weight. The articles I've read are just saying that they voided the last two years of his deal and that he has two years left still.

Now, I can't find anything that states too much about him from a performance standpoint but my point was that I can't find anything that suggests he's as much of a mess as he was a while back.

Just one example (albeit breif): Smith’s option not picked up, contract remains at four years | Bengals Blog

Thanks pozz. I should have read more ab out the situation. Glad you're on top of your game as usual.