• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals at Steelers MNF

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you run Finley out behind this OL you are going to David Klingler him.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly only watched about 10 minutes of the game total. I caught the first drive, then like 3 minutes before the half and maybe 2 minutes after the half? I just don't care enough.

Funny thing is, this isn't just a Bengals thing. I find myself more and more not watching the NFL. It's just not watchable anymore. I'll turn on the UC football game, and maybe a college game here or there, but outside of that. Meh. NFL just isn't good entertainment. Even when the Bengals suck, I've always enjoyed watching the NFL. About 4 years ago I started watching less and less. Now I am at the point where I probably watch more food network than NFL games.

I was watching the first few minutes of the 1st drive and I was thinking to myself...why the hell am I watching this? I have absolutely no desire. So, I flipped the channel and only flipped back when the wife wanted to see what the score was. I could not have cared less. Sure, I'll keep a side eye on how they do because they are the local team, but outside of that, and the NFL in general, I think they've pretty much lost me as a fan.

It's interesting.... Years ago the Bengals moving away from town would have set off a wave of panic among people in Cincinnati and fans of the team from other areas (including those that moved away). It's becoming increasingly apparent that the Bengals and city are never going to get along (see current music venue nonsense) and the Bengals are really nothing more than a burden on the riverfront. Their lease ends in 2026, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them get out of it before that time. Here's the thing... If they do leave, will people care? Sure there are the diehard Cincinnatians that will be upset, but I think most fans will just be relieved. The bullcrap with this franchise is getting old.... And I don't think anyone that lived through the lost decade of the 90s can pony up for another lost decade now. Life is too short.

I still enjoy talking Bengals... I haven't watched them play much over the past 2 seasons - Caught them more on radio or followed on the internet. When I have watched them play its generally been on national telecasts and it has been ugly (KC last year; Pitt last night). But if they move on, I'd be happy to move on as well. Not sure I'm much interested in another team - As Cincyfan said, the NFL product is pretty weak compared to what it was years ago.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting.... Years ago the Bengals moving away from town would have set off a wave of panic among people in Cincinnati and fans of the team from other areas (including those that moved away). It's becoming increasingly apparent that the Bengals and city are never going to get along (see current music venue nonsense) and the Bengals are really nothing more than a burden on the riverfront. Their lease ends in 2026, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them get out of it before that time. Here's the thing... If they do leave, will people care? Sure there are the diehard Cincinnatians that will be upset, but I think most fans will just be relieved. The bullcrap with this franchise is getting old.... And I don't think anyone that lived through the lost decade of the 90s can pony up for another lost decade now. Life is too short.

I still enjoy talking Bengals... I haven't watched them play much over the past 2 seasons - Caught them more on radio or followed on the internet. When I have watched them play its generally been on national telecasts and it has been ugly (KC last year; Pitt last night). But if they move on, I'd be happy to move on as well. Not sure I'm much interested in another team - As Cincyfan said, the NFL product is pretty weak compared to what it was years ago.

Yes, it's odd. I enjoy the chats and talking about them in general. As I said, I'll keep a side-eye on them always, but just in general the NFL product is not very good anymore. From the elventybillion flags a game, to having watch idiots like Burfict, Brown, Beckham and whoever the dude is that choked him out...I mean....yawn. I enjoy watching some of the college games, and especially UC. The only sport, anymore, that I really get passionate about is UC Basketball.

As for the Bengals leaving - Not sure I see it, but I guess if it happens then it happens. Maybe I'm just old and grumpy - GET OFF MY LAWN!

On a side note, I see the infamous ref of that 2015 Pitt/Bengals playoff game was on TV - he tried to explain why Cincinnati got a penalty for having coach Porter on the field. Neither of the announcers corrected him. LOL Just another reason not to watch the NFL - the refs are clueless.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've lived through having a team leave town. The Hartford Whalers. It sucked at the time, it still has pretty much sucked for the area. Granted it was the only sport/team in the area, you guys would still have the Reds. I was a big hockey fan at the time, and remained so for a few years, but eventually lost interest in the league. So I imagine that is what would happen to the football fans there.

The worst thing about it, is when they left, the actually did better and eventually won.

Can you imagine the bengals being sold, and moved, and within 2-3 years are in the Super Bowl?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've lived through having a team leave town. The Hartford Whalers. It sucked at the time, it still has pretty much sucked for the area. Granted it was the only sport/team in the area, you guys would still have the Reds. I was a big hockey fan at the time, and remained so for a few years, but eventually lost interest in the league. So I imagine that is what would happen to the football fans there.

The worst thing about it, is when they left, the actually did better and eventually won.

Can you imagine the bengals being sold, and moved, and within 2-3 years are in the Super Bowl?
Reds, Bearcats, and FC Cincinnati.

The area is not lacking for sports options. Not to mention, Cincinnati has a pretty damned good High-School football region as well.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's hard for me to imagine a Mike Brown owned team having success.... But, this sort of thing has happened before. Art Model moved out of Cleveland and won a championship within 10 years. I think he was much more successful than Brown (who isn't), but I wouldn't call him a great owner. I'm not sure whether I'd laugh or cry if the Toronto Bengals won the NFL championship in 2028.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds, Bearcats, and FC Cincinnati.

The area is not lacking for sports options. Not to mention, Cincinnati has a pretty damned good High-School football region as well.

Yeah, I think people in Cincinnati are perfectly happy with the high school scene and are at least distracted by the regional college football scene (Bearcats, OSU, even ND). They like the Bengals when they are good, but very few fans admire the ownership or the franchise in general.

It's odd, but I've always had the impression that Cincinnatians will put up with the Reds no matter how terribly they are managed or they perform. Cincinnati baseball is more of an 'outing....' It's something that families do together in the summer. It was Marty and Joe on the radio and something to listen to while working in the yard on a Sunday afternoon. The team is awful and it has been for most of the last 25 years - People still hold them dear to their heart though. The Bengals don't get the same kind of forgiveness.

jgreene95

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is my Sundays. Screw the NFL. I survived the lost decade ( season ticket holder) and up until '15 playoff loss. This franchise is a lost cause. The NFL is a friggin joke. Too many spoiled,entitled arrogant assholes ruined it for me.bass boat.jpg

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think people in Cincinnati are perfectly happy with the high school scene and are at least distracted by the regional college football scene (Bearcats, OSU, even ND). They like the Bengals when they are good, but very few fans admire the ownership or the franchise in general.

It's odd, but I've always had the impression that Cincinnatians will put up with the Reds no matter how terribly they are managed or they perform. Cincinnati baseball is more of an 'outing....' It's something that families do together in the summer. It was Marty and Joe on the radio and something to listen to while working in the yard on a Sunday afternoon. The team is awful and it has been for most of the last 25 years - People still hold them dear to their heart though. The Bengals don't get the same kind of forgiveness.

That's what baseball is everywhere, in my opinion.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Paul Dehner (former enquirer beat guy) has been writing about the issues the Bengals are having with their fanbase. I haven't read it because it's on the Athletic and I don't pay for their content. But judging by twitter reaction, he's doing a pretty good job identifying the strains that are developing.

This year could get ugly in a hurry. If they don't win this weekend, they're likely looking at an 0-8 start or worse. The next few teams that appear on the home schedule don't have have big traveling fan bases (Arizona, Jax, Baltimore).... You could be looking at crowds of less than 35K. Even the Steelers game in December might be less crowded than usual if the Steelers are not having much success.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think someone said before, new coach, means new build.

then all the homers were like, "we're only a step away from being a super bowl team."

but that's not the bengals roll. they are more like the team you invite to homecoming week.