• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ben Simmons formally demands trade

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad there, thanks for the correction. He shouldn't be turning down any help since he claimed his mental health's messed up. Where things stand right now I'm not sure if what he's claimed is true or if it's just a bogus excuse because he doesn't wanna play for Philly anymore. I would think if his mental health was really a factor he would have already mentioned it.

One things for sure. The league has to do something about these over paid players holding franchises hostage by refusing not to play. Harden pulled this same shit to get outta Houston.

Well he’s getting help. Just doesn’t trust the team doctors.

Which makes sense in this case for sure

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he’s getting help. Just doesn’t trust the team doctors.

Which makes sense in this case for sure

I totally get why Simmons wouldn't want to use team doctors.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get why Simmons wouldn't want to use team doctors.
The only reason is because there is a very good chance they would say there is nothing wrong with him and then the sixers wouldn’t have to pay him. This is a bullshit move by Simmons, he is using the mental health clause to get paid. He will pay for this at some point, you know what they say about Karma. I fully expect the league to address this in the coming negotiations, they have to. You have to be a special kind of a pos to handle this like Simmons has.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason is because there is a very good chance they would say there is nothing wrong with him and then the sixers wouldn’t have to pay him. This is a bullshit move by Simmons, he is using the mental health clause to get paid. He will pay for this at some point, you know what they say about Karma. I fully expect the league to address this in the coming negotiations, they have to. You have to be a special kind of a pos to handle this like Simmons has.

Of course this is all just a charade. The Sixers know this. While I do think Simmons needs mental health counseling, it's pretty clear that he just wants to get paid.

But he's going to need to do something pretty soon. The Sixers being 6-2, despite Embiid not really being in form yet and Harris being out because of Covid, isn't helping his situation.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course this is all just a charade. The Sixers know this. While I do think Simmons needs mental health counseling, it's pretty clear that he just wants to get paid.

But he's going to need to do something pretty soon. The Sixers being 6-2, despite Embiid not really being in form yet and Harris being out because of Covid, isn't helping his situation.
Maybe I’m flawed in my thinking and I don’t really get it when society talks about “mental health”. But in my mind, I don’t think Ben’s issues fit that category. He has a mental block that gets in the way of him shooting. This is like Mackey Sasser’s yips. Is it mental? Sure. You address it with a sports psychologist. But this is different from like clinical depression or being bipolar or any of those other things that people with real mental health issues deal with. That’s not Simmons situation.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I’m flawed in my thinking and I don’t really get it when society talks about “mental health”. But in my mind, I don’t think Ben’s issues fit that category. He has a mental block that gets in the way of him shooting. This is like Mackey Sasser’s yips. Is it mental? Sure. You address it with a sports psychologist. But this is different from like clinical depression or being bipolar or any of those other things that people with real mental health issues deal with. That’s not Simmons situation.

Well I'm certainly not trying to diagnose him. But I think this is more than just the yips.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s tough because for athletes that messes with their ability to do their job properly.

So it kind of is, but I get your point how it isn’t compared to stuff for us regular folk

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s tough because for athletes that messes with their ability to do their job properly.

So it kind of is, but I get your point how it isn’t compared to stuff for us regular folk
In Philly we have two athletes dealing with real debilitating mental health stuff in Brandon Brooks and Lane Johnson. I see where this can filter into the sports world. But it doesn’t seem to be Simmons issue.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Philly we have two athletes dealing with real debilitating mental health stuff in Brandon Brooks and Lane Johnson. I see where this can filter into the sports world. But it doesn’t seem to be Simmons issue.
No what Simmons is doing is extremely disrespectful to those with real mental issues. He doesn’t care though.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No what Simmons is doing is extremely disrespectful to those with real mental issues. He doesn’t care though.
That’s where i am too. It’s a slap in the face to those millions who really do suffer daily with mental health issues.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s where i am too. It’s a slap in the face to those millions who really do suffer daily with mental health issues.

The problem, imo, is that there are varying degrees of mental health issues. For example, someone may be depressed because they are going through a rough time in their life. It may still qualify as a mental issue and they may still require some help to get through it, but it's not on the level of bipolar depression.

The issue with that of course is, like someone claiming a back injury, it's not that difficult to present it as a worse problem than it really is.

For me, what makes it suspect is that there really doesn't appear to be, nor has it ever appeared, that he is/was doing anything about it until this situation where he is looking at the possibility of not getting paid.

Also, while I understand him not trusting team doctors, I think he should still have to use them. Otherwise, how are the Sixers to know that he's really trying to resolve the issue? Of course he can still see his own doctors, but the Sixers need to be able to have some proof that he's doing what is required for them to have to pay him.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem, imo, is that there are varying degrees of mental health issues. For example, someone may be depressed because they are going through a rough time in their life. It may still qualify as a mental issue and they may still require some help to get through it, but it's not on the level of bipolar depression.

The issue with that of course is, like someone claiming a back injury, it's not that difficult to present it as a worse problem than it really is.

For me, what makes it suspect is that there really doesn't appear to be, nor has it ever appeared, that he is/was doing anything about it until this situation where he is looking at the possibility of not getting paid.

Also, while I understand him not trusting team doctors, I think he should still have to use them. Otherwise, how are the Sixers to know that he's really trying to resolve the issue? Of course he can still see his own doctors, but the Sixers need to be able to have some proof that he's doing what is required for them to have to pay him.
And that is exactly what I think both the NBA and NFL will rectify in the next agreements

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is an awfully slippery slope there man.

This is a situation where the team is incentivized to downplay the mental health issue of the player.

It is almost like when the r*pe victim gets put on trial by the defendant’s attorneys.

The protocol really should be for the team doctors to stay out of it. Let the player seek help where he feels comfortable getting it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a situation where the team is incentivized to downplay the mental health issue of the player.

It is almost like when the r*pe victim gets put on trial by the defendant’s attorneys.

The protocol really should be for the team doctors to stay out of it. Let the player seek help where he feels comfortable getting it.

Let me start off by saying that I think that Simmons is never playing for the Sixers again and that he will likely be traded sometime in December or January.

But I do think that the team and league have a vested interest in preventing this sort of behavior. Kyrie going AWOL every one in a while is one thing. This is a fairly blatant attempt by Simmons to do the bare minimum to get paid while not being involved with the team at all.

This is a terrible precedent for the league as it gives players a blueprint for getting out of playing for any team at any time.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. They are in a position of having to pay him millions of dollars to not play basketball. If that is what they are expected to do, then they should have the right to receive information showing that he truly can't play.

He has a signed contract for them to pay him millions of dollars play to basketball and he has given them no reason to simply take him at his word that he is doing everything he can to get himself ready to play.

I see no problem with him getting help where he feels comfortable, but the team should and probably does, have the right to require him to show proof that he is actually seeking help rather than sitting home playing X-Box.

It's not unlike a regular employer requiring an employee to have a doctors note if they've been out of work for 3 or more days. The employer doesn't care what doctor you see. But they care that you really were out for the reason you stated and that you are actually healthy enough to return to work.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start off by saying that I think that Simmons is never playing for the Sixers again and that he will likely be traded sometime in December or January.

But I do think that the team and league have a vested interest in preventing this sort of behavior. Kyrie going AWOL every one in a while is one thing. This is a fairly blatant attempt by Simmons to do the bare minimum to get paid while not being involved with the team at all.

This is a terrible precedent for the league as it gives players a blueprint for getting out of playing for any team at any time.

If Simmons is making this up to get paid, he is horrible person.

However, there is also a pretty solid chance that he has legit mental health issues AND furthermore that his issues have been at least partially caused by the way the 6ers have treated him.

So yeah, set up some protocols to ensure players can’t abuse this. But the protocols can’t involve team doctors. Has to be independent analysis.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean…

What did anyone expect?

His relationship with the franchise is completely broken.

Why on earth would he ever want to work with Philly team doctors about a mental health issue at this point?

Fair, I guess, but who is ever going to trade for a player that is not playing due to supposed mental health issues, and isn't seeking help?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. They are in a position of having to pay him millions of dollars to not play basketball. If that is what they are expected to do, then they should have the right to receive information showing that he truly can't play.

He has a signed contract for them to pay him millions of dollars play to basketball and he has given them no reason to simply take him at his word that he is doing everything he can to get himself ready to play.

I see no problem with him getting help where he feels comfortable, but the team should and probably does, have the right to require him to show proof that he is actually seeking help rather than sitting home playing X-Box.

It's not unlike a regular employer requiring an employee to have a doctors note if they've been out of work for 3 or more days. The employer doesn't care what doctor you see. But they care that you really were out for the reason you stated and that you are actually healthy enough to return to work.

Right.

But in this situation, the 6ers want him to use their doctor.

I think he should need to show proof for sure. Just he can’t be required to use team doctors.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair, I guess, but who is ever going to trade for a player that is not playing due to supposed mental health issues, and isn't seeking help?

Someone who believes in his upside and a fresh start.

But again, Simmons’ trade value is not something he should care about at all.