• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BASEBALL AMERICA: Red Sox have 2nd best farm system in baseball

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im torn on the home plate collisions. its part of the game, always has been for the most part...but its become so much more violent as guys got bigger and stronger.

The thing I don't like is that catchers didn't have to block the plate. Posada was a master at the swipe move, allowing him to effectively cover the plate without the risk of getting crunched. If a catcher wants to risk life and limb by standing in front of a barreling baserunner, god damn it, I want to see it!

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Either way, the sample sizes are pretty small and he was only 20 when he put up those numbers. There're reasons why Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus both have him as one of the top prospects in the game.

That said, the attrition rate of prospects is ridiculous. For every Mike Trout, there are hundreds of Phil Hugheses, Alex Gordons, Jason Heywards and the like. You just never know.

Wait are you saying Alex Godon is a bust?

But, but for years I was told he was going to be the next George Brett.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the kid hit over .320 in high A ball, dropped to just over .230 in AA

not a good sign for a 21 year old.

the kid has tremendous raw power tho, and seems to have a decent eye

ehhh. he was striking out in nearly 40% of his plate appearances in AA. 37% in A ball. He draws his share of walks, but it's not easy to be a productive hitter if you're batting near .200.

Joey Gallo Statistics Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ehhh. he was striking out in nearly 40% of his plate appearances in AA. 37% in A ball. He draws his share of walks, but it's not easy to be a productive hitter if you're batting near .200.

Joey Gallo Statistics Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

That's a pretty tiny sample size you're using to paint him as a "near .200" hitter. He's a power bat, so the K's usually come with that territory - he still gets on base at a clip well above average and, let's face it, Ks are better than GDPs.

Who knows what he or any prospect will do when they hit the show, but there aren't many teams with a more highly touted prospect than Gallo, so I don't blame Rangers fans for being excited about him.

Last edited: