• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BASEBALL AMERICA: Red Sox have 2nd best farm system in baseball

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Full Count Baseball America ranks Red Sox farm system second in MLB

BASEBALL AMERICA RANKS RED SOX FARM SYSTEM SECOND IN MLB
03.31.15 at 3:44 pm ET
By WEEI
Moncada_Yoan-head-14.png

Yoan Moncada

Minor league industry bible Baseball America has released its annual farm system rankings, and you don’t have to just take our word for it anymore — the Red Sox are loaded.

BA ranked the Red Sox‘ system second in the game for the second straight year, this time behind only the Cubs. The magazine named Yoan Moncada the team’s top prospect, and praised the Red Sox for their aggressive spending in Cuba, which has yielded not only Moncada, but Rusney Castillo.

The Red Sox are deep in quality left-handed starters, with Brian Johnson the closest to the majors, Henry Owens the best prospect at the moment, and Eduardo Rodriguez with potentially the highest ceiling.

The Red Sox placed seven prospects on BA’s top 100 list, and that doesn’t include Moncada, who signed after the list was compiled. The team’s best prospect otherwise is catcher Blake Swihart (17th overall in baseball).

Rounding out the top five of the organizational rankings were the Dodgers, Twins, and Mets.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised the Rangers are ranked as high as they are. I had thought they'd fallen off the table.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised the Rangers are ranked as high as they are. I had thought they'd fallen off the table.
im right there with ya.

BBA usually gets its shit right.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking forward to seeing Joey Gallo.

But not this guy

even though the movie still cracks me up.
the kid hit over .320 in high A ball, dropped to just over .230 in AA

not a good sign for a 21 year old.

the kid has tremendous raw power tho, and seems to have a decent eye

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he's a big boy for playing 3b. 6'5" and 230. At that size he should have power. If it doesn't work out he should walk across the parking lot to AT&T Stadium.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's a big boy for playing 3b. 6'5" and 230. At that size he should have power. If it doesn't work out he should walk across the parking lot to AT&T Stadium.
long swings...richie sexson...he fell of a cliff by what, 30? those guys lose bat speed nearly overnight.

kid has a lot of upside tho...and hes only 21.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey rock, Who do you like more

Moncada or Swihart??

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey rock, Who do you like more

Moncada or Swihart??
thats like asking which bikini model i prefer, blonde or brunette lol

swihart, a catcher, is such a commodity...he can hit and has pretty solid defense back there. hes not vazquez...but hes good enough.

moncada...hes sooo young, but the talent is ridiculous.

push?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh. Either way, the sample sizes are pretty small and he was only 20 when he put up those numbers. There're reasons why Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus both have him as one of the top prospects in the game.

That said, the attrition rate of prospects is ridiculous. For every Mike Trout, there are hundreds of Phil Hugheses, Alex Gordons, Jason Heywards and the like. You just never know.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats like asking which bikini model i prefer, blonde or brunette lol

swihart, a catcher, is such a commodity...he can hit and has pretty solid defense back there. hes not vazquez...but hes good enough.

moncada...hes sooo young, but the talent is ridiculous.

push?

If you had to pick one, and the other would never play for your team, who would you take??

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Either way, the sample sizes are pretty small and he was only 20 when he put up those numbers. There're reasons why Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus both have him as one of the top prospects in the game.

That said, the attrition rate of prospects is ridiculous. For every Mike Trout, there are hundreds of Phil Hugheses, Alex Gordons, Jason Heywards and the like. You just never know.
its a crap shoot

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had to pick one, and the other would never play for your team, who would you take??
id probably go moncada...catchers rarely develop into their full potential unless youre a pudge or a posey.

moncada is somewhat similar to abreu in skill set (offensively) from what ive read and the little ive seen...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I follow prospects because... well... that's something I do, I guess.

However, I refuse to let myself get too excited about any of them until they start proving themselves at the MLB level. You just never know. Look at Matt Wieters. He had some of the best offensive numbers the minor leagues have ever seen; he hits the majors and becomes known as a defensive catcher. Go figure.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id probably go moncada...catchers rarely develop into their full potential unless youre a pudge or a posey.

moncada is somewhat similar to abreu in skill set (offensively) from what ive read and the little ive seen...

Posey pisses me off. Had he blocked the plate correctly (or even chosen not to block the plate), we'd still have collisions at home. I miss those.

I also miss manager tirades that have been reduced significantly by replays.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey pisses me off. Had he blocked the plate correctly (or even chosen not to block the plate), we'd still have collisions at home. I miss those.

I also miss manager tirades that have been reduced significantly by replays.
im torn on the home plate collisions. its part of the game, always has been for the most part...but its become so much more violent as guys got bigger and stronger.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beyond Gallo, they've got a few more high end prospects. Jorge Alfaro and Nomar Mazara come to mind. Honestly, I think I'd rather have Alfaro than Swihart in the Indians' system.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im torn on the home plate collisions. its part of the game, always has been for the most part...but its become so much more violent as guys got bigger and stronger.

Maybe I'm just a sadist.

I used to love the possibility of seeing David Ortiz plowing full steam into the plate, sending the tools of ignorance scattering like feathers from a bird hit by a Mack truck.