• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baldwin's huge game

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost in all the late-game/post-game stuff is the fact that Doug Baldwin was really the main reason, offensively, why the Seahawks were able to win this game. He didn't get to score a touchdown, but he put up 215 all-purpose yards on just 9 touches today. That's coming up huge in a big game with everything on the line and your team needing a spark. Tate may get a lot of the press among the healthy receivers on this team, but it's hard to imagine where it would be without Baldwin's contributions this year as well. He's come up with some big games this year and his ability to return kicks has helped soften the impact of Harvin's absence in that respect in addition to his impact in the passing game.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin was the offensive player of the game IMO.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin definitely came to play last night.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin was absolutely fantastic in this game.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took some licks last night too. He was playing through some pain. Huge game for Doug B.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took some licks last night too. He was playing through some pain. Huge game for Doug B.

he did and he'll be sore for the next week, luckily we've got two weeks to get healthy.

Seahawksgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was so glad to see him come back in the game. Did you all hear his comments after the game when one of the reporters asked him about the analysts comments on our average, pedestrian receivers. Had a big smile on my face.

Maxwell made some great plays also.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes sir!!! Angry doug baldwin was awesome. kinda had a feeling. all week all we heard, hawks WR's are weak bla bla bla.... enter mr doug beazy!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug has made numerous amounts of huge catches along the sideline this year. A lot of them were in crucial situations. The Texan game and Saints game come to mind. He is a guy I admire and respect for the amount of work he has put in to get himself where he is at. I hope he is a Hawk for a long time.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see his comments after the game, but hopefully the way that he played and the huge catch that Kearse made on that 4th and 7 touchdown will put to rest any talk that this group of receivers isn't good enough to get the job done when it needs to. To a man, I'm sure they all love having Harvin as a teammate, but they had to be getting sick of the 24/7 Harvin Watch that has been going on ever since he was eligible to be activated. They were out to prove a point last night and I think they did that. It'd be great to have Harvin out there in 2 weeks, and I'm sure he'll be cleared at some point this week, but if folks weren't confident in this group of receivers before last night, they should be now, with or without Harvin.

Seahawksgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see his comments after the game, but hopefully the way that he played and the huge catch that Kearse made on that 4th and 7 touchdown will put to rest any talk that this group of receivers isn't good enough to get the job done when it needs to. To a man, I'm sure they all love having Harvin as a teammate, but they had to be getting sick of the 24/7 Harvin Watch that has been going on ever since he was eligible to be activated. They were out to prove a point last night and I think they did that. It'd be great to have Harvin out there in 2 weeks, and I'm sure he'll be cleared at some point this week, but if folks weren't confident in this group of receivers before last night, they should be now, with or without Harvin.

There was a reference to that, and he said that they all a loved Percy and when he's on the field, he gives opposing teams something else to worry about. But that they really have had Percy all season, except for a few plays and look where their average receivers got them...to the Superbowl.

I'll see if I can find the transcript. When the question was initially asked about the analysists perception of our receivers, Doug got a big grin on his face and said "I'm glad you asked me about that, and here is what I have to say about it..."

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something like "Pedestrian? We are walking our pedestrian asses to the Super Bowl"

Seahawksgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks’ Doug Baldwin proves to be a cut above ‘average’

Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin, motivated by criticism of Seattle’s receivers, caught six passes for 106 yards and returned a kickoff 69 yards in Seattle’s 23-17 victory Sunday over the 49ers.

By Jayson Jenks
Seattle Times staff reporter

Doug Baldwin tried to relax a little before the game. He took a seat on his couch. He turned on his TV. He flipped the channel to ESPN.

But Doug Baldwin doesn’t relax very well. So instead he got angry. The chip he’s carried on his shoulder all year grew a little bigger. Because here’s what he saw:

“I was able to watch a special on ESPN with Keyshawn Johnson and Cris Carter,” he said after Seattle’s 23-17 win against San Francisco secured a spot in the Super Bowl. “They were talking about the wide receivers for the Seattle Seahawks. They said that we’re not the main entrees. They said that we’re the appetizers. I’ll take that. We’re the appetizers. But we’re one hell of a good appetizer.”

Baldwin responded later in the day with his best game this season. He hauled in a season-high 106 yards on six catches. He returned a kickoff 69 yards that set up a Seattle field goal. He did it despite having to leave the game at one point because of a hip injury that left him feeling less than 100 percent.

Seattle’s receiving corps has faced criticism all season. Some of it has been justified; the Seahawks have struggled at times to get open when teams have thrown man-to-man coverage against them.
But Baldwin and the rest of Seattle’s receivers took exception to the characterization that they were “average.” That’s the word former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner used to describe them at one point on the NFL Network. USA Today wrote an article earlier this year titled, “Will Seahawks’ question marks at receiver be their downfall?”

Baldwin found the author of the USA Today article in the locker room long after the game had ended. Wearing an NFC Championship hat and grinning, he decided to have a little fun.
“We appreciate you being in the presence of such average and pedestrian receivers,” he said.
Seattle’s receivers made the plays when they really needed to against a very good San Francisco defense. Jermaine Kearse had two catches for 44 yards, including a 35-yard touchdown on fourth-and-seven. Golden Tate added four catches for 31 yards.

But it was Baldwin who most often burned the 49ers with big plays and in big moments. Four of Baldwin’s six catches went for first downs, including two on third down. He also had Seattle’s two most explosive plays — a 51-yard catch in which quarterback Russell Wilson kept the play alive for nine seconds and the 69-yard kickoff return.

Baldwin has had his best season as a pro this year, and he has started to generate attention as one of the league’s top slot receivers. Former NFL running back Marshall Faulk went as far as to call Baldwin “a star waiting to happen” before Sunday’s game.

But Baldwin has long been fueled by the fact that he wasn’t drafted. That edge led to the nickname, Angry Doug Baldwin, because it always seemed like he had something to prove.

The rest of Seattle’s receivers have shared that this year. So much of the talk centered on how much they needed Percy Harvin, how he could be the piece to get them to the Super Bowl.
They didn’t have to hear that talk after Sunday’s game.
Jayson Jenks: 206-464-8277 or [email protected]

Seahawks’ Doug Baldwin proves to be a cut above ‘average’ | Seahawks | The Seattle Times

Last edited by a moderator:

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for all the links. I'll check them out. Sadly, I don't think we're done with the underestimation of the Seahawks receivers just yet. There are sure to be more than a couple of comparisons between our receivers and Denver's and none of them figure to be favorable to the Seahawks.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have meant him at a autograph signing before. Guy is very humble. I remember most of us when we found out harvin was out. One of our needed to step up

Someone did

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as an aside, Baldwin's injury was a badly bruised hip. I'm so glad it didn't turn out worse than that.

Seahawksgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for all the links. I'll check them out. Sadly, I don't think we're done with the underestimation of the Seahawks receivers just yet. There are sure to be more than a couple of comparisons between our receivers and Denver's and none of them figure to be favorable to the Seahawks.

They can under estimate them all they want. I like the chip on the shoulder it gives them when they play. Then it just proves all those doubters wrong. I'm sure that most teams would like them on their own team.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a game by Baldwin indeed! Earlier in the week, I was reading an article about how he wasn't exactly thrilled because his practice time was reduced for the Saints game because Harvin needed more snaps. It looked like he played with a chip on his shoulder last night and you could also hear it in his post game presser.

I love these guys, everyone looked like they have something to play for and to prove and it's probably one of the main reasons why we are where we are today.