• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Balanced View on Broncos Playoff Chances

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From one of my favorite posters at OM, Kaylore - in the past he gave me permission to post his stuff at KFFL as long as it gave him credit and linked to the original.
My case for why the Broncos will and will not go to the Super Bowl - The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community

"I wanted to try and objectively look at the chances for the Broncos to make it to the Super Bowl. My instincts are they are too flawed offensively to do so. But I wanted to give it an honest look and break things down. So I will be making a case for why the Broncos will not, and possibly will make it to the Super Bowl. I will start with the bad news first.

Why Denver could be one and done:

The biggest weakness of the team is their offense. They are prone to mistakes, turnover the ball too much, don’t protect their quarterback and are bad in the redzone.

Of the six playoff teams, the Broncos are one of only two teams who don’t have a top ten scoring offense. At the top are the Patriots, who rank 3rd, Pitt is next at 4th, then the Bengals are 7th, followed by KC who is 9th. Only Houston trails at 22nd.

Denver leads the entire league in interceptions. Manning lead the league in interceptions despite not playing for more than a third of the season and only finished second the final game of the year to Blake Bortles. Of the AFC opponents in the playoffs, KC, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Houston are all top 15 in interceptions.

Denver is the bottom third in sacks allowed per game. This despite having, for a time, one of the most difficult QB’s to sack in NFL history. They tend to let their QB get hit and often do so at terrible times. They will be Playing teams ranked 2-4 and 9 in sacks per game in the playoffs. The Broncos addressed some of this by mercifully benching Michael Schofield. Part of me hopes his being the starter was at the insistence of the front office, where Elway wanted to give his pick every chance possible to fail to try and recoup the value. We’ll call this the George Foster treatment. Regardless, with the loss of Clady and Sambreillo, we’re either stuck with Schofield or the guy who couldn’t beat him out in practice for whatever reason. Not a lovely thought. The bottom line is ask yourself if this offensive line is one you could see playing in and winning the Super Bowl.

Denver has the seventh most incompletions per game in the NFL. This is related to a porous line, but also a receiving corps that is towards the top of the league in drops. DT has had a bad year. And outside of Sanders, there aren’t really any other receiving targets who have been consistent. They also are bottom third in yards per pass attempt – a stat usually symptomatic of poor QB play. It all speaks to an offense that lacks confidence and coordination.

Denver is not good enough on the ground to account for the weak passing attack. Sometimes a below average passing game can be mitigated by a potent rushing attack. Not so with the Broncos. Denver’s rushing game is actually getting better. However it is currently ranked middle of the road in both yards per rush and rushing touchdowns. Not nearly good enough to account for all the offensive woes.

Denver has the fifth worst redzone scoring offense in the entire league. This is a stat familiar to those who watched the Shanahan offense post-Elway. The system fit for nimble, undersized linemen has a tendency to work well between the 20’s and prove anemic when it counts. To make matters worse, the entire rest of the AFC playoff field is in the top 15 for redzone scoring percentage. The next worst is KC at 14th.

Peyton Manning. Manning’s record in the playoffs speaks for itself. You can nitpick things, but the bottom line is he has sometimes struggled against physical teams in the playoffs.

Denver’s offense had moments of decent performance coupled with overall bad play showing the latter to be the norm and not the former. It’s difficult to see an offense that performs this poorly and not expect it to wilt against the elite teams of the NFL.

Why Denver could go all the way:

When you read the above list and didn’t know anything about the Broncos, it reads like this is a team that is somewhere between 5-7 wins and picking in the top fifteen of the draft. But they’re the top seed in the AFC. So obviously something went right.

Denver leads the league in total Defense. This is the obvious answer, but it is a huge one. They are also first in passing offense, third rushing offense (they were 35 total yards away from being number 1 in rushing defense) and fourth in scoring defense. Now go back and re-read how crappy the offense has been. This is how the Denver defense finished and consider that had Denver’s offense not shot themselves in the foot over and over again all season, the Denver defense could have finished with even better statistics – certainly in terms of scoring, probably in most other statistics. Of the top ranked Defenses in the last six years, four have gone on to the Super Bowl and two have won it. So having an elite Defense is HUGE.

Denver has good special teams defense at home. Denver is top five in touchbacks and toward the top of the league at home in not allowing kickoff or punt return yards. This means in two of the three areas of the game, Denver will be formidable.

The offensive line may be reshuffled.
No offense to Michael Schofield, but he was one of the biggest weaknesses on the offensive line. If a more experience Polumbus can come in and be marginal, it would be a huge upgrade. There have been instances of teams changing their offensive line prior to a playoff run with much success, more recently with the Ravens who did so on their way to a SB win.

Denver is 5-2 against playoff teams this year. For all their warts, the Broncos have a very good winning percentage against playoff teams this year. They also never lost to a division winner this year. Of the two wild card teams, Denver has lost to both. However the Chiefs got out to a lead after picking off a clearly injured Manning several times, and Denver has also defeated the Chiefs once and they lost on the road to the Steelers in Pittsburgh by one score. They would get to play both teams again at home should they meet either one.

Denver has home field advantage. Every game Denver gets to play, excepting the last one, will be in Denver. They are 6-2 at home this season and 16-5 all time in the playoffs at home. Denver is a difficult place to play recently and overall historically. Consider also many of the teams like the Steelers, Chiefs and Patriots have losing records in Denver – again recently and historically.

Denver gets a bye. There is a lot of debate about Bye’s especially around Manning. However in the case of the hobbled Broncos, this is undoubtedly an advantage. CJ Anderson and Manning both had their best games coming off the bye week this season. In Kubiak’s short playoff experience he has never lost his first playoff game. Consider that Manning has had several weeks off. He would only need to play two games back to back, get another bye, and be fresh for the big game if we get that far; An ideal situation for a QB who is breaking down.

Peyton Manning. He has the playoff experience and despite the issues he’s encountered before, he literally has never had a defense line this backing him up. It will be more difficult for defenses to fool him, and as one commentator remarked, he called a better game than Kubiak did once he came in. A lot of the big runs were a result of Manning fixing Kubiak’s work. The team feeds off his experience and leadership.

The offense has to lean on the run, protect the QB and put up some points in the redzone. The defense will be fresh and playing at home with a great defense is a decided advantage for the home team. If the offense continues its turnover ways, we could be looking at another first round exit."

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Balanced view - as opposed to whose views?

If you are going to use numbers - why not just go to Ws?

The trend line represents the facts - not the accumulated totals for the season - as there is a September team and A November team and there is a playoff team. Close your eyes and think of the biggest offensive plays on the 2nd half of the season - all dynamic running plays. While the fans are grumbling about the Oline - the Oline finishes the season with a 200 yard rushing game. The beat the Patriots with a long run - they beat the Packers with a long run - and yesterday they beat the Chargers by busting Hillman loose for 34 yards and a TD.

On top of that - the team is going from a Super Star with his wheels blown off - to a Rookie QB who has spent 4 years on the bench - every member of the offense has to make an adjustment to a new QB - his cadence - what he is looking for - how he thinks when a play breaks down.

My argument is we are seeing the team come together - and right now the fans are remembering all the flubs during a very successful regular season, but the Playoffs are Broadway - they are the show - this team has been brought along to function in the playoffs -the resting of vets - the constant player rotations - the extra day or week following an injury - they have some juice left and the the young players have some seasoning.

The regular season has very little importance - other than to see who gets into the playoffs. The new season is the playoffs - do you have the juice to make a sprint into the playoffs? Can you win in the 4th quarter - or in OT?
Doesn't matter what the stats were in the games - what this team did most consistently was to close the deal at the end of the game. The Broncos were the fresher of the teams at the end of games. Who can throw more physicality or emotional energy into winning in the playoffs - than the Broncos?

No one. You don't need a balanced case to be credible you just need to be right.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't change my thought process at all. I think we all know where the weaknesses and strengths are and they will be lucky to get there and be miracle to win it but any shot is better than no shot and I do believe in luck and miracles!. :)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only do I believe they can go all the way, I don't think it will take a miracle to do it. The biggest reason for my confidence is this team is mentally tough. Far more mentally tough than any Broncos team we've seen in many many moons. Take a look at yesterday: the Chargers took the ball away five times and the Broncos still won the game. Now do that against a playoff opponent and you're toast. Do it against ANYONE and usually you're toast. That it happened is now a teachable moment and without question a point of emphasis this team will take with it into the bye week.

I also believe the offense following a bye is going to look better. Think about the Green Bay game. That game had us believing the team had turned the corner. I believe we can expect a similar performance from the offense in the divisional round, and that coupled with this defense would most certainly be a ticket to the AFCCG.

I recognize that any team in the AFC slate is capable of coming into Denver and beating the Broncos. But until it happens I am going to happily believe the Broncos will take care of business and reach their 8th Super Bowl.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense to you or your bud Kaylore but none of that is unbeknownst to many here. Heck I could off the top of my head pick the weaknesses and strengths of all the playoff teams really. Just to put it in a nutshell, every team in AFC has shot to go to SB and whoever represents the AFC in that game is probably going to get their ass kicked by either Carolina,Seattle or Cards. Unless of course that NFC team just totally comes out redicously flat and turns the ball over a lot and the AFC team gets all the breaks/bounces/calls,etc. How`s that for a hypothesis? :)

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Balanced view - as opposed to whose views?

If you are going to use numbers - why not just go to Ws?

The trend line represents the facts - not the accumulated totals for the season - as there is a September team and A November team and there is a playoff team. Close your eyes and think of the biggest offensive plays on the 2nd half of the season - all dynamic running plays. While the fans are grumbling about the Oline - the Oline finishes the season with a 200 yard rushing game. The beat the Patriots with a long run - they beat the Packers with a long run - and yesterday they beat the Chargers by busting Hillman loose for 34 yards and a TD.

On top of that - the team is going from a Super Star with his wheels blown off - to a Rookie QB who has spent 4 years on the bench - every member of the offense has to make an adjustment to a new QB - his cadence - what he is looking for - how he thinks when a play breaks down.

My argument is we are seeing the team come together - and right now the fans are remembering all the flubs during a very successful regular season, but the Playoffs are Broadway - they are the show - this team has been brought along to function in the playoffs -the resting of vets - the constant player rotations - the extra day or week following an injury - they have some juice left and the the young players have some seasoning.

The regular season has very little importance - other than to see who gets into the playoffs. The new season is the playoffs - do you have the juice to make a sprint into the playoffs? Can you win in the 4th quarter - or in OT?
Doesn't matter what the stats were in the games - what this team did most consistently was to close the deal at the end of the game. The Broncos were the fresher of the teams at the end of games. Who can throw more physicality or emotional energy into winning in the playoffs - than the Broncos?

No one. You don't need a balanced case to be credible you just need to be right.

Nice counter. I agree.

plus

Where is the 70 yard Hail Mary for the con?
9 of the top 10 defenses are in the playoffs.

This would be the only conS I see.

Denver has the fifth worst redzone scoring offense in the entire league AND OFFENSIVE TURNOVERS

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard Sharpe say that - so I looked it up at nfl.com. 8 of 10 are in the playoffs, in addition:
Wash is #28
Pitt is #21
Packers are #15
Bengals are #11

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice counter. I agree.

plus

Where is the 70 yard Hail Mary for the con?

This would be the only conS I see.

Denver has the fifth worst redzone scoring offense in the entire league AND OFFENSIVE TURNOVERS
Never noticed that before CEH.....you might be the first guy in the history of the Afc/Nfc that has 2 teams from same division as favorites. You must be a very troubled and confused young man. :)

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Sharpe say that - so I looked it up at nfl.com. 8 of 10 are in the playoffs, in addition:
Wash is #28
Pitt is #21
Packers are #15
Bengals are #11

Scoring defense 9 playoff teams are top 10.

Game Stats
Rk Team G Pts/G TotPts Scrm Plys Yds/G Yds/P 1st/G 3rd Md 3rd Att 3rd Pct 4th Md 4th Att 4th Pct Pen Pen Yds ToP/G FUM Lost
1 Seattle Seahawks 16 17.3 277 947 291.8 4.9 17.1 67 195 34 1 7 14 94 795 28:51 22 9
2 Cincinnati Bengals 16 17.4 279 1,032 340.8 5.3 19.2 86 218 39 9 20 45 116 1,063 29:49 11 7
3 Kansas City Chiefs 16 17.9 287 1,037 329.3 5.1 19.6 72 217 33 13 27 48 110 941 29:05 19 7
4 Denver Broncos 16 18.5 296 1,033 283.1 4.4 18.1 80 227 35 5 14 36 104 773 30:37 27 13
5 Minnesota Vikings 16 18.9 302 1,015 344.2 5.4 19.9 71 206 34 11 22 50 109 875 29:48 18 9
6 Carolina Panthers 16 19.2 308 1,058 322.9 4.9 18.6 86 227 38 15 26 58 99 822 28:33 28 15
7 Arizona Cardinals 16 19.6 313 983 321.7 5.2 17.8 75 210 36 8 17 47 130 1,202 27:56 30 14
7 Houston Texans 16 19.6 313 986 310.2 5.0 17.6 61 214 28 7 12 58 116 991 29:12 20 11
9 New York Jets 16 19.6 314 1,013 318.6 5.0 16.9 77 232 33 13 23 56 90 767 29:21 22 12
10 New England Patriots 16 19.7 315 1,042 339.4 5.2 18.9 84 225 37 8 18 44 112 1,013 30:02 28 9
11 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 19.9 319 1,055 363.1 5.5 20.4 90 225 40 7 24 29 121 1,149 30:54 27 13
12 Green Bay Packers 16 20.2

NE, DEN,KC,CIN,ARI,SEA,CAR,MIN, HOU. Pitts is 11. GB is #12

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YPG is typically what is considered top D, so that is what I used. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only do I believe they can go all the way, I don't think it will take a miracle to do it. The biggest reason for my confidence is this team is mentally tough. Far more mentally tough than any Broncos team we've seen in many many moons. Take a look at yesterday: the Chargers took the ball away five times and the Broncos still won the game. Now do that against a playoff opponent and you're toast. Do it against ANYONE and usually you're toast. That it happened is now a teachable moment and without question a point of emphasis this team will take with it into the bye week.

I also believe the offense following a bye is going to look better. Think about the Green Bay game. That game had us believing the team had turned the corner. I believe we can expect a similar performance from the offense in the divisional round, and that coupled with this defense would most certainly be a ticket to the AFCCG.

I recognize that any team in the AFC slate is capable of coming into Denver and beating the Broncos. But until it happens I am going to happily believe the Broncos will take care of business and reach their 8th Super Bowl.

I think Kubiak actually said in his post game speech that 34 times this season a team has turned the ball over 5 times. The 33 times before this the team who turned it over like that lost. We are the only team to have actually won with such numbers. So yeah it definitely speaks to the tough mentality of this team.

I will say turnovers do seem to be a problem for this team even when Manning hasn't been in. We have seen Anderson and Hillman fumbling lately. If we are to win any playoff games this year it will take us cleaning these up.

Now for me after watching the Chargers game again I honestly might be more excited about the switch from Schofield to Polumbus at the RT spot. He will make a couple of mistakes a game for sure but I do think we will see a marked improvement at the spot. I'm still trying to figure out why Kubiak waited so long this season to even think about making that change. The entire offense began to click. Now yes some of you might say "Well Manning came in at that time." For me I say the OL played so much better when that switch was made. Engram didn't have a clear path to the QB anymore. Throw in the run blocking actually greatly improved too.