• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Backup QB in 2013

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So, let's make a pretty easy assumption to start: The Ostrich is our starting QB in 2013.

There's a lot of talk about moving Smith (through trade or cut). I wonder if that's wise. If Smith is willing to take on a backup role, is there a better option than Alex Smith for that role on our team? We know he can be effective in our offense, he doesn't have to learn it, and I believe most fans and media would be content with him in that role and he would not be any genuine threat to Kaepernick as long as CK7 didn't shit the bed.

I know he's scheduled to make 9.7M or something like that next year, but Kaep is scheduled to make less than 2. Having 11.5M tied up in 2 QBs is by no means a bad situation.

So, my question is this - if we get rid of Smith, who do you want as QB2?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, let's make a pretty easy assumption to start: The Ostrich is our starting QB in 2013.

There's a lot of talk about moving Smith (through trade or cut). I wonder if that's wise. If Smith is willing to take on a backup role, is there a better option than Alex Smith for that role on our team? We know he can be effective in our offense, he doesn't have to learn it, and I believe most fans and media would be content with him in that role and he would not be any genuine threat to Kaepernick as long as CK7 didn't shit the bed.

I know he's scheduled to make 9.7M or something like that next year, but Kaep is scheduled to make less than 2. Having 11.5M tied up in 2 QBs is by no means a bad situation.

So, my question is this - if we get rid of Smith, who do you want as QB2?

Tolzien is fine with me

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be more than Happy with Alex as the back up, but i haven't seen enough from CK to designate him the permanent starter yet either. If we trade Smith i would like for us to grab Landry Jones. I know most of you probably aren't big fans of this idea, but i think this could be the perfect situation for him. The coaching and OL have both played a heavy role in the success of CK and our QB's in general.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine either keeping or trading smith. If the niners trade him, then Tolzien is fine for next season and then draft another development type QB for Harbaugh to fix in order to either trade or keep as a back up. Use him as the back up till traded. This season is kind of shitty in terms of QBs coming out of college though so i would only trade smith if Harbaugh saw a QB he knows he can develop.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be more than Happy with Alex as the back up, but i haven't seen enough from CK to designate him the permanent starter yet either. If we trade Smith i would like for us to grab Landry Jones. I know most of you probably aren't big fans of this idea, but i think this could be the perfect situation for him. The coaching and OL have both played a heavy role in the success of CK and our QB's in general.

That would be ideal, but not at almost 9mil.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
matt moore or bring back johnson. maybe dangle a 5th to the panthers for clausen.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't dangle a turd over the toilet for Clausen.

I agree 10278%. Hell no, I forgot he was even in the league anymore, I wouldn't trade anything for him.

Tolzien is fine with me

I also like Tolzien, He still intrigues me, there's just something to him. I think with another year in the system under Harbaugh's teaching he will show some nice growth.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could do the copout answer and just say, in Baalke and Harbaugh we trust...

But, honestly with what they've done to Alex Smith, and how quickly they brought CK along, I think I'd be pretty good with Tolzien entering his 3rd year with the team as the QB2.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could do the copout answer and just say, in Baalke and Harbaugh we trust...

But, honestly with what they've done to Alex Smith, and how quickly they brought CK along, I think I'd be pretty good with Tolzien entering his 3rd year with the team as the QB2.

i'd like to see some competition for tolzien. moore would give us a decent back up in case of injury.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tolzien is fine with me

Rep!

I also would bring Josh Johnson to be our #3 QB. He knows the offense pretty good and seems very comfortable executing it as well. I'd be comfortable with Josh as #3, similar to Kaep he has the ability to push the ball deep - the accuracy and the decision though I question. That in itself would keep defenses honest and allow our rushing attack to continue to dominate. I believe Harbaugh knows his strength better than anyone and I strongly believe Josh could be one if the best #3 QB in the league through Harbaugh's guidance. I think Josh is a better QB than several #2QBs in the league now (Campbell, Skelton, Pryor, Brad Gradkowski, Shaun Hill, etc.).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
matt moore or bring back johnson. maybe dangle a 5th to the panthers for clausen.

Man I love you! no homo though.

That's the best post of the month. Except when you make post about why Alex Smith is an elite QB. This one though makes all the sense in the world. We have soooo many draft picks, why not invest one on one of the best back ups in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i never once said smith is an elite qb

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't say it but you act like it :redface:

ppl take things to extremes and because it took smith so long to get things turned around they can't see that he's actually a pretty good qb.

all i've said is he's good, i've never said he's elite. there are only 4 elite qb's in the league.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rep!

I also would bring Josh Johnson to be our #3 QB. He knows the offense pretty good and seems very comfortable executing it as well. I'd be comfortable with Josh as #3, similar to Kaep he has the ability to push the ball deep - the accuracy and the decision though I question. That in itself would keep defenses honest and allow our rushing attack to continue to dominate. I believe Harbaugh knows his strength better than anyone and I strongly believe Josh could be one if the best #3 QB in the league through Harbaugh's guidance. I think Josh is a better QB than several #2QBs in the league now (Campbell, Skelton, Pryor, Brad Gradkowski, Shaun Hill, etc.).

Boom Tolzien and johnson i would like.

Others to be 2nd/3rd string: Smith(if he restructures to backup money)
Chad henne
Hasselback(vet presence)
Matt moore