• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Backstrom 10 years, 6.7 per year

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done deal and it is a bargain, in my books and will be evn more of a bargian 5 or 6 years into the contract.

Capitals Sign Nicklas Backstrom to 10-Year Contract - Washington Capitals - News

3346992472_57fa0f9327.jpg

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great deal. Waiting for the people that are going to say only $67 million, heh.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
congrats Caps fans.
ya gotta be pleased with this one.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite the bargain. Says a lot about character when you make a signing like this to help out the team that drafted you.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be premature, but I think Semin is on his way out...

Squatchito

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is outstanding. Maybe I was over valuing him, but to me this is an absolute steal for the Caps. I am very, very happy right now.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This a great deal for both party's. It's nice to see Backs give the team a little hometown discount. The Caps should be playoff contenders for years to come.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is also a big time locker room leader and one of the most intense players on the team (hidden by his outward demeanor). He is one of the most vocal guys in the dressing room and has been known to challenge Ovi when he needs it. His talk before the third period of the Oilers game this year, along with Ovi has become an urban legend.

I think the Caps should strap a permanent "A" on him and sy OK guys, this team is yours. Alex, Nick, take it over and make it click.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crosby/Malkin on the Pens, Ovechkin/Backstrom on the Caps, Toews/Kane on the Hawks. It's a great time to be a hockey fan.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey caps guys ... I just heard the reason Alzner didnt make it as a regular this past year because his cap hit is over 1.7 mill per (bonus money)

true or false?

also, now that Backstrom is signed and that 2010-11 cap number is getting allocated ... any rumours Alzner is on the market?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey caps guys ... I just heard the reason Alzner didnt make it as a regular this past year because his cap hit is over 1.7 mill per (bonus money)

true or false?

also, now that Backstrom is signed and that 2010-11 cap number is getting allocated ... any rumours Alzner is on the market?

No, he did not stick because his game regressed on the NHL level a little bit and a lot of people think that he was playing through an injury. The blueline was loaded with NHL level guys so it was going to take something special (like carlson) to break in. With the loss of Corvo, ShaMo, and potentially Juice, I fully expect Alzner and Carlson to be the second defensive pairing for this coming season. If anyone is on the market, it may be Poti, but I like him so I hope not.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wooo! Great deal for the Caps! He and Ovechkin's cap hits are proportionate right now, and in 5 years, they might be the best value in hockey.

Cheers to a decade of Ovechkin and Backstrom as Washington Capitals and well wishes they continue to be productive and healthy together.

As for Alzner, he's signed for $1.7 million for next year. I can't imagine they'd move him based on what he showed this past season and also since he and Carlson seem to play well together. I think Alzner/Carlson both got some time this past season, but roster spots made it difficult to have both since we had a lot of d-men signed unless health was an issue.

I guess Schultz and Fehr are next on the list right now. Gonna be a buy few months for George McPhee.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he did not stick because his game regressed on the NHL level a little bit and a lot of people think that he was playing through an injury. The blueline was loaded with NHL level guys so it was going to take something special (like carlson) to break in. With the loss of Corvo, ShaMo, and potentially Juice, I fully expect Alzner and Carlson to be the second defensive pairing for this coming season. If anyone is on the market, it may be Poti, but I like him so I hope not.

Agreed on both counts. But at his age and a $3.5 million cap hit, I'd be a little surprised if he moved anywhere.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wooo! Great deal for the Caps! He and Ovechkin's cap hits are proportionate right now, and in 5 years, they might be the best value in hockey.

Cheers to a decade of Ovechkin and Backstrom as Washington Capitals and well wishes they continue to be productive and healthy together.

As for Alzner, he's signed for $1.7 million for next year. I can't imagine they'd move him based on what he showed this past season and also since he and Carlson seem to play well together. I think Alzner/Carlson both got some time this past season, but roster spots made it difficult to have both since we had a lot of d-men signed unless health was an issue.

I guess Schultz and Fehr are next on the list right now. Gonna be a buy few months for George McPhee.

My sources tell me that Laich may ink an extension this offseason as well. he wants to be part of the core and may sign a 10 year deal at around 3-3.3.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on both counts. But at his age and a $3.5 million cap hit, I'd be a little surprised if he moved anywhere.

Maybe we can pull a draft day, Steve Eminger, type deal and get back a first round pick. Who knows, but I do LOVE Tom Poti. he was the best American defenseman back when i was playing as a kid and a member of USA Hockey, so I would hate to see him go.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sources tell me that Laich may ink an extension this offseason as well. he wants to be part of the core and may sign a 10 year deal at around 3-3.3.

What do you think about that?

Since they already have him signed at $2 million next year, I would think they'd wait on signing a deal with Laich. Especially since 2011-2012 is when the Caps are going to have to make some tough decisions in regards to the cap - Semin, Carlson, goalies, etc. I'd give Brooks a 4-5 year deal, but I don't think I'd ink anything for that long since he'll be 27 when next season starts and I'd wait until next year to do it. He is definitely an important piece though - he's a good voice/character guy, goes to the net, and well Laiched by the fans (especially if he keeps changing tires in the offseason ;) ).

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think about that?

Since they already have him signed at $2 million next year, I would think they'd wait on signing a deal with Laich. Especially since 2011-2012 is when the Caps are going to have to make some tough decisions in regards to the cap - Semin, Carlson, goalies, etc. I'd give Brooks a 4-5 year deal, but I don't think I'd ink anything for that long since he'll be 27 when next season starts and I'd wait until next year to do it. He is definitely an important piece though - he's a good voice/character guy, goes to the net, and well Laiched by the fans (especially if he keeps changing tires in the offseason ;) ).

I am kind of with you on this one but at the same time, I like to see them be proactive with signing people before the deadline year. I think Carlson will sign sometime this season, and Green may sign a 1 year extension to get him to UFA status (like Semin did this past year) this year or next. I think the core is now signed. They need to slap a PERMANENT "A" on backstrom right now and make it known that this is a young team and Alex and Backs are the leaders. I don't mind the vet move with Knuble or whatever, but Backstrom has been on the team longer and is part of the rebuild.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to get a larger perspective, that gives us the following with about $15 million left for other signings next year

OFFENSE
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - __________ - Semin
Chimera - _________ - __________
________ - Steckel - Bradley

RFA = Fehr, Flash, Gordon, Beagle, UFA = Walker, Belanger, Morrisson

DEFENSE

Green - __________
Poti - Carlson
Alzner - Erskine
(Sloan)

RFA = Schultz, UFA = Corvo, Morrisson, Jurcina

GOALIES
Varly
Neuvirth

Definitely starting to take shape and definitely some money and possibilities to move guys or sign everyone you want with this Backstrom news.

What kind of deal do you guys think Schultz will get? That's the next big piece. I wonder if they'll go short term with him. Like maybe $3 mil/yr for 2 years?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fehr and Gordon come back. I think that we sign Belanger, Schultz and Jurcina:

Fehr = 2.0
Gordon = 1.0
Belanger = 2.0
Schultz = 2.3
Juice = 2.0

That leaves around 7 left for a backup goalie (vet maybe) and/or a shutdown defenseman. Perrault or Johansson will also likely crack the lineup.

8-19-22
21-MJ-28
25-18-16
15-39-10

55-52
27-74
3-23