• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Back in the saddle again

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got concerns:

Punt team, seriously what the frick was that last night? Is it because they score so damn much this season that they forgot how to get a punt off?

Jake's arm, I can't be the only one to notice the ducks he threw up to Ross that seriously were timed with serious hang time and he was behind a few receiver's all night...

Yeah. Browning definitely short-armed a couple of deep passes, but kudos to Ross for adjusting and making the catch anyway. One of the stories going into the season was that Jake had improved on his deep throws and while he might have compared to last year, he still has a little bit of work to do in that area. That nitpick aside, the guy is having a great year and is likely to break all kinds of passing records, both single season and career, for Washington by the time he's through. He's already comfortably entrenched in the top 10 in a bunch of career categories after about a year and a half.

The punting issue I think you nailed on the head. If there's a downside to a high scoring offense, it's that the punter doesn't get much work. Not sure what they can do about that without scoring less, and we don't want that.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Browning definitely short-armed a couple of deep passes, but kudos to Ross for adjusting and making the catch anyway. One of the stories going into the season was that Jake had improved on his deep throws and while he might have compared to last year, he still has a little bit of work to do in that area. That nitpick aside, the guy is having a great year and is likely to break all kinds of passing records, both single season and career, for Washington by the time he's through. He's already comfortably entrenched in the top 10 in a bunch of career categories after about a year and a half.

The punting issue I think you nailed on the head. If there's a downside to a high scoring offense, it's that the punter doesn't get much work. Not sure what they can do about that without scoring less, and we don't want that.

I know, and yes they are a full year ahead of schedule here :

But:

All BS aside, they have a serious chance to compete for a serious run here.
Offense is very, very good, you got a run game with a very good passing game and that opens a ton of opportunities! Minus Bama's defense give me another college team that can stop this offense?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not punting isn't the problem with the punting game, vizciano just isn't that good IMO. And they have really been using that damned rugby kick way too much. That particular kick has cost them yards several times including twice last night. He's so-so with normal punts. That first punt was due to the snapper though. Almost went over the kids head and he didn't end up with the time needed to move sideways and do that rugby kick.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not punting isn't the problem with the punting game, vizciano just isn't that good IMO. And they have really been using that damned rugby kick way too much. That particular kick has cost them yards several times including twice last night. He's so-so with normal punts. That first punt was due to the snapper though. Almost went over the kids head and he didn't end up with the time needed to move sideways and do that rugby kick.

Yeah what the hell is that about/ You telling me they can't find a kid on the soccer team that can punt like a normal punter that plays American football player?

Sorry I'm all butthurt cause my big boy team has a dumb ass head coach...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9-0. Unreal. Cal game was pretty flawless even with the butterflies I had in the first quarter. But once they settled down, they just unloaded on that defense. By the second quarter, you could see the game was ours.

Too bad USC couldnt squeak into the top25, but so be it. Spread has shot up to -10 today after opening around -7.5. Early money pouring into the Dawgs.
Game day in Seattle is well earned for this team this year. Stadium should be going ballistic.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been quiet on the recruiting front. Recruits are visiting during games, but don't expect much activity to finish off the class till January. I'm sure it's making it easier to get recruits attention now. There is no more unknowns about how Petersen will do at this program. He and his crew are taking the Dawgs to the next level.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah what the hell is that about/ You telling me they can't find a kid on the soccer team that can punt like a normal punter that plays American football player?

Sorry I'm all butthurt cause my big boy team has a dumb ass head coach...
They aren't doing the rugby because of any skill related thing, it's by design because of how much harder it is to get a return off of it.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't doing the rugby because of any skill related thing, it's by design because of how much harder it is to get a return off of it.

I would like the name of the person that told you this so I can drag them outside and beat the shit out of them....

I'm not saying 9-0 or 12 straight sucks donkey balls, just want to see some let's say "cleaning up" some areas that might be not lights out this far in the season...

And to be honest the look on coach Pete's face last night might agree with me...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like the name of the person that told you this so I can drag them outside and beat the shit out of them....

I'm not saying 9-0 or 12 straight sucks donkey balls, just want to see some let's say "cleaning up" some areas that might be not lights out this far in the season...

And to be honest the look on coach Pete's face last night might agree with me...
Petersen has been asked about that rugby thing several times and has said they evaluate when to use it. It buys them more time to get cover guys down and it's harder to pick up a bouncing ball and get moving forward with it than one coming high in the air. That kick only works if the kicker can move a few steps to their side and then punt it so it takes more time and has more risk because of it.

I'd just like to see an end to it myself. I mean we have seen it work quite a few times, but also seen a few real :L moments.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought of the rugby style punts as something teams use when they think they're going to get pressure up the middle and they want to buy their punter some time. Now it seems to be more widely used by teams across the country as the default style. It just seems like it's a style that lends itself to more potential problems than regular style punts. I could be wrong about that.

Anyway... looks like the Dawgs stayed put in the AP poll and the coaches poll, so we'll see if there's any movement in the playoff rankings. As much as they talked about it during the game last night, I don't expect to see any.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we wrap up the home games this year with back to back 4:30pm kick offs on Fox.

Thank god no more 7:30pm kicks. Really not a fan of those in mid/late November.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we wrap up the home games this year with back to back 4:30pm kick offs on Fox.

Thank god no more 7:30pm kicks. Really not a fan of those in mid/late November.

I hate the 7:30pm kickoffs and I'm on the west coast. I'd hate to be an east coast Husky fan.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LB Joe Mathis (Foot) is officially ruled out for the rest of the 2016 season. Bummer.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense had to tweak some things going into this one to minimize the impact of the injuries on that side of the ball and it seems to have worked well. They had, what, 7 sacks tonight? Washington State figures to throw the ball a ton next week and getting to Falk on a regular basis any way they can is gonna be big in slowing that passing game down.

Offensively, it took them a little longer to get going than I think anyone would have liked, but they still managed 37 points (with the other 7 coming on special teams, of course) despite coming out of the gate slow in the first quarter. Browning looked quite a bit better this week than he did last week, but he's still about half a second to a second late on his deep throws and he sailed some shorter throws too. He was having those issues even before the USC game, so he's just gonna have to keep working on it practice this week. His accuracy deserted him last week and it didn't come back until the 2nd quarter this week. It's gonna have to be there from the beginning on Friday.

I love seeing this team at 10-1, ending some really long head-to-head losing streaks in the process. Washington State won't be easy to beat, especially in Pullman, but they won't be lacking in motivation. Win and they're in the conference championship game. It's been a long time since they were last conference champs and holding that title this year also gives them a good shot at playing for a national title. They'll probably say publically that they don't care who they have to play in the Pac-12 title game, but privately, I'm sure they want another shot at USC. First thing's first... take care of the Cougs.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could change, but current weather prediction for friday will be cold in Pullman, but basically clear skies. No serious rain or snow in the forecast over there next weekend.