• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baalke "We drafted Ward as a Nickle Corner"

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just said that on KNBR. He went on to say he is a nickle corner now, might transfer to the outside corner later in his career or FS, but right now he is solely a nickle corner.

He also gave hints that Corlos Hyde might be the starting RB this season. depending on how well he studies and does in training camp. Not a good sign for Gore.

Then he went on about how Borland is a football players who transcends measurables.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Tidbits here... so they were looking for Gore's replacement off the bat... damn shame... I just hope Hyde can learn to pass blk..

Baalke certainly getting a LOT of flack hence the constant explanations for drafting Ward... Ward better come through...

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hyde has to come into camp and be all world for the FO to cut Gore IMO. There really isn't any reason to do so. Gore is off the books after next year and if he was cut we would only save half of his cap # since he I don't see him being cut till after June 1st.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hyde has to come into camp and be all world for the FO to cut Gore IMO. There really isn't any reason to do so. Gore is off the books after next year and if he was cut we would only save half of his cap # since he I don't see him being cut till after June 1st.

I'll be shocked if they did so... I would hate it TBH... the guy played through so many injuries and always gave it his all and came through for us for the most part... constant Pro.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU CANT HYDE!!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrImF-MBEj4]Carlos Hyde Senior Highlights 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

I can watch this kid play all day, he's gonna be special I think. But I cant see him dethroning Gore unless Gore has seriously declined this off season.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Tidbits here... so they were looking for Gore's replacement off the bat... damn shame... I just hope Hyde can learn to pass blk..

Baalke certainly getting a LOT of flack hence the constant explanations for drafting Ward... Ward better come through...

Flack? What flack? It's been almost universally said that the 9ers had THE best draft this year. I'd like to hear the interview, and see if he actually said nickle CB or nickle DB. Because everyone else is saying that the 9ers will be using 3 safeties in nickle packages, like Seattle.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flack? What flack? It's been almost universally said that the 9ers had THE best draft this year. I'd like to hear the interview, and see if he actually said nickle CB or nickle DB. Because everyone else is saying that the 9ers will be using 3 safeties in nickle packages, like Seattle.

He said nickle corner

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Gore isn't going anywhere but his carries I expect his carries will be severely reduced.

He just isn't capable of maintaining a high level of play with the carries he's had as it was obvious he was running on empty towards the end of the year.

I think the team is going to do it's best to keep him as fresh as possible for the playoffs where he'll really be needed and can do the most damage.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's no difference between nickel corner or nickel DB. Same thing. Just don't call them nickleback.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ward can cover. That much is clear. He's also very good against the run. It's a very interesting pick because he could probably play Corner or FS.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Hyde starts. Too much to learn and too much responsibilities for the RB in our offense. Gore is great at what he does for this offense. I do think it will be a fun battle between Latt and Hyde. I do think Hyde might win the Goal line battle.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be fun to see if Ward is a Boom or Bust pick. It can go either way with him. He is very athletic but his size and strength hurts him. His press conference was fun to watch. Seems like a good kid.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be fun to see if Ward is a Boom or Bust pick. It can go either way with him. He is very athletic but his size and strength hurts him. His press conference was fun to watch. Seems like a good kid.

His size hurts him? He's the same size as Earl Thomas. Honey Badgers size doesn't seem to bother him. Ward does need to get a little stronger tho.

In any case Ward doesn't fit the definition of boom or bust to me. To me boom or bust means a guy is raw with lots of talent and is a starter or out of the league in 3-4 years. Ward has natural football skills. Barring injury he should be a decent starter at the very least.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since when is 5'11 195 small for a slor cb? Gimmie a break!

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also with Ward one of Lord Fangio's requirements for a NDB is tackling. Since we remove a LB in nickel the NDB essentially becomes the 3rd LB and has all the responsibilities of a LB. And what I have seen of Ward is the kid is a tough hard hitting tackler. Which fits NDB perfectly in our system.

The more days that past from the 1st round the more i like the Ward pick. I think he will fit wonderfully with us and improve our nickel defense tremendously.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe I heard on the ESPN telecast that he was the best pass blocker in the draft, for a RB at least. To me, that implies that there isnt much worry that it will translate to the pro game.

As far as Ward, goes I will admit I knew next to nothing about him before we drafted him, but I absolutely love what I have seen when I watch videos of his play. I do think he will be special but at the very least an upgrade over Carlos Rodgers. And I dont think i am just being a homer here. I hope not anyway.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also with Ward one of Lord Fangio's requirements for a NDB is tackling. Since we remove a LB in nickel the NDB essentially becomes the 3rd LB and has all the responsibilities of a LB. And what I have seen of Ward is the kid is a tough hard hitting tackler. Which fits NDB perfectly in our system.

The more days that past from the 1st round the more i like the Ward pick. I think he will fit wonderfully with us and improve our nickel defense tremendously.

Yeah his style is NASTY but he seems a bit of a launcher. Hopefully the coaches can work with him on this.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah his style is NASTY but he seems a bit of a launcher. Hopefully the coaches can work with him on this.

I disagree with that. While he makes hard hits, he is as sure of a tackler as you can get out of this draft, at any position. He doesn't miss. He has great form and only makes the highlight hits when its appropriate.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with that. While he makes hard hits, he is as sure of a tackler as you can get out of this draft, at any position. He doesn't miss. He has great form and only makes the highlight hits when its appropriate.
I just meant in terms of penalties. He also likes to go low, at or below the knees which will draw a flag easily in todays NFL.