• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Preview On College Basketball Talk

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well don't you worry either. You can't do any worse over the next 10 years as you did over the last 10. What'd you win, one tourney game? Actually, that was beyond 10 years ago. Hmmph. :thumbsdown:

Alford/Lickliter ruined Iowa basketball. I hate them.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little concerned about post-Bo. Truth be told, I have some ?? about Bo, but he's by far one of the two reasons we've had some success in the last decade and a half. Truth told, I think he was lucky to get the likes of Devin Harris, Alando Tucker, Jordan Taylor, but when he goes....he takes whatever prestige the program has with him. Whenever the national media talks, it's all about Bo.

The next coach in has to have some national credibility or the program could really take a nose dive in recruiting. We already lose in state guys like Reese Gaines, Travis Deiner, Steve Nowak etc....and Chicago guys like D Wade to schools like Marquette and Louisville.

I can think of more. One of Louisville's big contributors a few years ago was a Milwaukee kid. Vander blue is with Marquette now, and he was originally headed to Wisconsin. He was a local kid from Madison.

Last edited by a moderator:

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there no obvious coach in waiting?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of that. I don't know what you guys remember of those CUSA teams from around 2001-2003. But the Badgers had in state recruits like Reese Gaines, Travis Deiner, and Steve Nowak take a pass on them for the future Big East boys. Deiner was Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin, and he was a superstar PG in NCAA hoops. Gaines was a stud SG in NCAA hoops and I believe he was Mr. Basketball in 99, local Madison kid too. I remember watching Marquette and Louisville play a game once. Gaines down the court, pops a three. Deiner down the court, pops a three. Gaines down the court, pops a three. Deiner down the court, feeds to Wade, Wade feeds back to Deiner who leaps into the air behind the arc with his back turned, spins in mid flight, hits his highest point of elevation, launches a three and drains the most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen right through the net...which barely moved. Then Gaines comes back down the court and scores. It was insane.

The whole time all I could think was. Right now we have Andy Kowski and Devin Harris on our team. Imagine if our starting lineup was Deiner at PG, Harris at SG, Gains at SF, Kowski at PF, and I forget who the center was at the time. But we would have been seriously dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there no obvious coach in waiting?

I regularly hear rumors that Tony Bennett (UVA) has pretty much locked up that position. He stayed on with Bo for a season or two as an assistant after Bo took over for his dad.

I've also heard that Shaka Smart (VCU) is in line.

Both are Wisconsin guys born and raised.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of that. I don't know what you guys remember of those CUSA teams from around 2001-2003. But the Badgers had in state recruits like Reese Gaines, Travis Deiner, and Steve Nowak take a pass on them for the future Big East boys. Deiner was Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin, and he was a superstar PG in NCAA hoops. Gaines was a stud SG in NCAA hoops. I remember watching Marquette and Louisville play a game once. Gaines down the court, pops a three. Deiner down the court, pops a three. Gaines down the court, pops a three. Deiner down the court, feeds to Wade, Wade feeds back to Deiner who leaps into the air behind the arc with his back turned, spins in mid flight, hits his highest point of elevation, launches a three and drains the most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen right through the net...which barely moved. Then Gaines comes back down the court and scores. It was insane.

The whole time all I could think was. Right now we have Andy Kowski and Devin Harris on our team. Imagine if our starting lineup was Deiner at PG, Harris at SG, Gains at SF, Kowski at PF, and I forget who the center was at the time. But we would have been seriously dangerous.

LaFrentz
Collison
Heinrich
Kyle Korver
Harrison Barnes
Marcus Paige (Fr this year at UNC)

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I regularly hear rumors that Tony Bennett (UVA) has pretty much locked up that position. He stayed on with Bo for a season or two as an assistant after Bo took over for his dad.

I've also heard that Shaka Smart (VCU) is in line.

Both are Wisconsin guys born and raised.

Shaka Smart would be a big get but would he leave? Wasn't he offered the Illinois job?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaka Smart would be a big get but would he leave? Wasn't he offered the Illinois job?

I think so, but I think that's why a lot of people believe that he wants Wisconsin and has received some excellent feedback in private conversations. With Tony at UVA, making pretty good spare change, some people argue that he's taken himself out of the picture.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is though.... Smart plays that up-tempo game. When he gets here he won't have the players for that. If he gets here.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is though.... Smart plays that up-tempo game. When he gets here he won't have the players for that. If he gets here.

From what I've seen with Iowa bball, it's easier to teach kids how to run the uptempo game than it is to teach them to pass and be uber patient.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are times when I absolutely hate Bo Ball. Sometimes our guys are scared to shoot. It's ridiculous. Aside from the guys who are the traditional scorers, nobody has the attack frame of mind in tight games when we need them to get aggressive. I'm sure you saw it last year. They just kept feeding the ball back to Taylor. Back to Taylor. Back to Taylor. Let someone else make a play. I was pretty livid.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:scared:

I hope Smart doesn't go to Wisky, I really like the guy and he's a hell of a coach, I don't want to have to start hating him.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scared:

I hope Smart doesn't go to Wisky, I really like the guy and he's a hell of a coach, I don't want to have to start hating him.

As much as I like Tony Bennett. I would LOVE to get Shaka Smart. He's a good coach. He'll continue to emphasize good defense in the half court, but he'll let guys be athletes, and that will draw athletes. I think we need the Jon Leur types, too, but Jon Leur was a hell of a lot quicker than people thought. So was Nankivil.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand, if Shaka Smart is related to SportsHoopla's Smart............................ I would be scurred. :lol:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little concerned about post-Bo. Truth be told, I have some ?? about Bo, but he's by far one of the two reasons we've had some success in the last decade and a half. Truth told, I think he was lucky to get the likes of Devin Harris, Alando Tucker, Jordan Taylor, but when he goes....he takes whatever prestige the program has with him. Whenever the national media talks, it's all about Bo.

The next coach in has to have some national credibility or the program could really take a nose dive in recruiting. We already lose in state guys like Reese Gaines, Travis Deiner, Steve Nowak etc....and Chicago guys like D Wade to schools like Marquette and Louisville.

I can think of more. One of Louisville's big contributors a few years ago was a Milwaukee kid. Vander blue is with Marquette now, and he was originally headed to Wisconsin. He was a local kid from Madison.

The bigger problem is the increasing apathy towards the program. People are starting to take victories for granted and fans are entitled. When 25% of student tickets are empty for B1G games, you have issues. The school tried to fix this with the rewards program last year, but it remains to be seen if it will work.

The biggest advantage we have post Bo is an awesome arena with a great fan base. If the current trend continues, we'll have nothing.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Shaka isn't just Wisconsin born and raised. He is from Oregon, which is literally about ten minutes from Madison.

Shaka, Tony Bennett, Rob Jeter, Howard Moore, and Greg Gard are probably the five leading candidates to take over Wisconsin whenever Bo leaves.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Info for you B1Gers from Badgerland. I strongly sense that we'll have a youngin' running point. Word is that George Marshall is playing well in practice. Gasser is still a big loss, but if Marshall can run the offensive half of the court, the Badgers can still be a threat.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Info for you B1Gers from Badgerland. I strongly sense that we'll have a youngin' running point. Word is that George Marshall is playing well in practice. Gasser is still a big loss, but if Marshall can run the offensive half of the court, the Badgers can still be a threat.

He did lead Brooks to the City Championship. For those not aware of the hierarchy of Chicago basketball, that is basically like leading Wyoming to the NCAA Basketball Title.