• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Award Season

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
27 points in OBP and 64 points in SLG% are big advantages, especially considering Puig plays in a ballpark less favorable to hitters. Span strikes out a lot less, but that means little in looking at their overall offensive stats (it's more useful in looking at future performance). Not only does Puig walk more, but he also draws more HBPs. Hence, a significantly higher OBP. As Stan said, Span needs to steal bases to make up for his lack of power.

It's fine if you prefer traditional stats, they still have value IMO. But you need to put them in context. Hit totals, though? Come on. Hits are a function of playing time and putting the ball in play a lot.

First off on the SBs, if you nnotice Dee Gordon is no where near my list. I stated it helped Span's case IMO, but it is not the only factor. What Stan had to say does make me think, and that is one thing I enjoy about discussing these things with him, you and Smarther. Y'all do make me think about things.

Traditional stats vs Sabrmaterics. I like Traditional and mainly counting stats when discussing awards for a season, but if we were comparing Span's 2014 season vs Brett Butler's 1984 season I would use more Sabrmetrics and discount counting stats. (Off the top of my head IDK what Butler did in 1984, just the first example that came to my mind.)

IMO, I have always thought that counting stats for a single season is the best way for awards. Everybody has the chance to play in 162 games, why dump on one player because the other player only played in 125 games. Like IPs for pitchers the more a player plays IMO the more value he adds to his team, thus the counting stats. When talking about a player's career or comparing two players from different seasons I would not put the value on Traditional stats that I do when discussing Awards.

Hits get counted in my mind, but if you notice where I have Alvue in the ALand where I have Span in the NL is a big difference. Alvue also lead the league in BA to go with his hits, whereas Span's .302 BA is 6th in the NL.