• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Austin interviewing w Browns for HC job

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't go to the Browns. He will fail.

Jay Glazer said there's real interest out there. He is usually pretty good on his insider knowledge.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jay Glazer said there's real interest out there. He is usually pretty good on his insider knowledge.

Miami?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh. In terms of organizations, going from the Lions to the Browns is bad to worse.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh. In terms of organizations, going from the Lions to the Browns is bad to worse.

and yet some Lions fans thought they had it all wrapped up as worst franchise.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam hired a player personnel VP from the Mets as a chief strategy officer

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yet some Lions fans thought they had it all wrapped up as worst franchise.

Lions win the award for longest-running sad sack franchise. But as of the present day, the Browns org is a bigger dumpster fire.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#Lions DC Teryl Austin interviews with #Dolphins on Tuesday and #Browns on Wednesday.

If Austin is lucky -- he will get hired by the Browns. The bar will be set so low, any type of mediocre season will be successful. With Miami -- I think any coach that is hired will be in trouble. Front office and fans are going to want to see a playoff team, but they will need a couple really good drafts to get there (especially with the 3 teams in their division)

If Detroit fires Caldwell -- the new coach will probably end up looking like a genius after year one, as the Lions schedule has them playing the 2 worst divisions in the NFL from this past year (actually, I think it is the same one the Dolphins played this year -- the AFC South and NFC East)

So Detroit will have a great shot at the playoffs and either Caldwell or the new hire will be looked at as saviors, even though it was luck of the schedule.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Miami's beat writer is quoted as saying:

“The only thing that I maintain and I think is that it’s going to end with somebody who has previous NFL head coaching experience.”

That may hurt Austin's chances in Miami. The guy also said he highly doubts Lamar Miller and Olivier Vernon will be back with the team. Which isn't going to help out the new head coach. Not sure why they wouldn't retain Vernon though?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Austin is lucky -- he will get hired by the Browns. The bar will be set so low, any type of mediocre season will be successful. With Miami -- I think any coach that is hired will be in trouble. Front office and fans are going to want to see a playoff team, but they will need a couple really good drafts to get there (especially with the 3 teams in their division)

If Detroit fires Caldwell -- the new coach will probably end up looking like a genius after year one, as the Lions schedule has them playing the 2 worst divisions in the NFL from this past year (actually, I think it is the same one the Dolphins played this year -- the AFC South and NFC East)

So Detroit will have a great shot at the playoffs and either Caldwell or the new hire will be looked at as saviors, even though it was luck of the schedule.

Not sure it will carry over but the Lions sure looked like a playoff team second half of the season. Unless they completely start from scratch, I expect them to threaten the North and be a playoff team next year.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would be in trouble without Austin next year IMO.

Here is my question. Are there any other black guys in line for a HC job? If not he will be interviewed by every team in the league that is looking by default.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would be in trouble without Austin next year IMO.

Here is my question. Are there any other black guys in line for a HC job? If not he will be interviewed by every team in the league that is looking by default.

Duce Staley got interviewed by Philly. He was on their staff already, but still counts as a Rooney rule candidate. I haven't heard of him going elsewhere.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Browns are always just a "break in" place. That's where coaches go to learn from their mistakes and succeed in their next stop. See Bill Belicheck.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns are always just a "break in" place. That's where coaches go to learn from their mistakes and succeed in their next stop. See Bill Belicheck.

Also.......I got nothing.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the Browns will be trying something different in the way the front office is structured. With the way the organization has (dys)functioned over the past few years, the changes are an attempt to break their cycle of failure.

I would be happy if Autin stays in Detroit, and understand his moving on if offered the HC at another franchise. The Browns may be far more risky in terms of being able to succeed as an organization, but far less in terms of how the league perceives Austin's own performance. Hard to turn down a opportunity.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Mayhew is interviewing w the Browns.

Martin Mayhew - G - Free Agent
ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the Browns will interview ex-Lions GM Martin Mayhew for the same position.

Mayhew also interviewed with the Titans, but Tennessee has reportedly tabbed Bucs personnel director Jon Robinson for that job. Mayhew would not have as much personnel control in Cleveland as he did in Detroit, but the Browns would offer a second chance at a general manager position in a league which rarely offers them.
Related: Browns

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter
Jan 14 - 8:48 AM

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Mayhew is interviewing w the Browns.

Martin Mayhew - G - Free Agent
ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the Browns will interview ex-Lions GM Martin Mayhew for the same position.

Mayhew also interviewed with the Titans, but Tennessee has reportedly tabbed Bucs personnel director Jon Robinson for that job. Mayhew would not have as much personnel control in Cleveland as he did in Detroit, but the Browns would offer a second chance at a general manager position in a league which rarely offers them.
Related: Browns

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter
Jan 14 - 8:48 AM

Maybe some team will sign him to their practice squad.