• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Astros Series...Blah, Blah, Blah

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another example of why I love France. Patient AB and pokes the ball the other way into the hole to drive in the run.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep forgetting he's even on this team and every time he's up to bat I literally ask myself "Who the fuck is this guy?"

I always wonder about baseball players like that. I feel like the guys that are overweight have so much improvement that could be had just by taking conditioning seriously. You're playing in major league baseball and you're out of shape, imagine how much better you would be if you got into shape?
I say the same thing every time I see a fat boy play..cough cough Daniel Vogelbach cough cough.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Why? Why?

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TERRIBLE 2 at bats in the bottom of the 7th w/ the go ahead runs in scoring position.

Frazier sac bunts both runners to 2nd and 3rd ( perfect sac bunt )

Mike Ford - gets 2 fastball strikes up in the zone either one should be lifted to the outfield and he fouls them both back away ( barely got a piece of either ) - next pitch is a down and in slider and he wiffs for strike 3.

Next batter Luis Torrens - 3 pitch at bat:
pitch 1 clearly a ball way up and inside ( bad swing and a miss - clearly jammed )
pitch 2 Fast ball cookie middle middle - called strike 2 ( bat never left his shoulder )
pitch 3 same exact pitch as pitch 1 - up and inside fastball, nowhere near a strike = swing and a miss inning over

runners stranded at 2nd and 3rd - score 1-1 going into top of 8th.

That is why neither of those 2 are on anyone elses roster in all of MLB.

geesh, that was so Mariners - could have taken control of the game with a sac fly - a base hit - a passed ball - a wild pitch - an error you name it. ANYTHING except back to back strike outs.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a shame if that great outing by Marco is spoiled by our inability to hit consistently.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TERRIBLE 2 at bats in the bottom of the 7th w/ the go ahead runs in scoring position.

Frazier sac bunts both runners to 2nd and 3rd ( perfect sac bunt )

Mike Ford - gets 2 fastball strikes up in the zone either one should be lifted to the outfield and he fouls them both back away ( barely got a piece of either ) - next pitch is a down and in slider and he wiffs for strike 3.

Next batter Luis Torrens - 3 pitch at bat:
pitch 1 clearly a ball way up and inside ( bad swing and a miss - clearly jammed )
pitch 2 Fast ball cookie middle middle - called strike 2 ( bat never left his shoulder )
pitch 3 same exact pitch as pitch 1 - up and inside fastball, nowhere near a strike = swing and a miss inning over

runners stranded at 2nd and 3rd - score 1-1 going into top of 8th.

That is why neither of those 2 are on anyone elses roster in all of MLB.

geesh, that was so Mariners - could have taken control of the game with a sac fly - a base hit - a passed ball - a wild pitch - an error you name it. ANYTHING except back to back strike outs.
I actually had some hope for Torrens as he had a pretty decent second half last year after making some adjustments, but he has lost any good will I had in him.

Right now we likely have the worst offensive output at catcher in the majors and this is a direct product of Dipoto's lack of foresight in building the roster. We went into the season with Tom Murphy who had a great 2019 season but hasn't done anything else in his other 200 or so career games, Cal Raleigh who has been clearly overwhelmed by major league pitching and Luis Torrens who showed some promise last year but not someone who I would've been comfortable catching regularly.

I don't think any of us thought it would be this bad, but the two biggest holes in our lineup are at catcher and DH. That falls on Dipoto.

I think the lesson we all learned - if we didn't already feel this way before - is that the DH by committee idea is stupid, especially when it ends up that you're giving Toro/Ford/Torrens etc. ABs at DH.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh lord, Castillo is on the mound. I should probably put my laptop away and turn this game off before he does something that makes me break something.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lose because our outfielder can't catch a foul ball. SMH.

We lose because we have guys named Ford, Torrens, Trammell batting when it counts. I would have preferred seeing Moore PH for any of them in the last two innings.

All that work to gain 1 game. That is why we are bottom feeders.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We lose because we have guys named Ford, Torrens, Trammell batting when it counts. I would have preferred seeing Moore PH for any of them in the last two innings.

I agree so completely.

Riddle me this Bat-Man ........

How on earth do you have a 25 man roster on a MLB ballclub and you have NO ONE to pinch hit for 2 terrible hitters in 2 different game winning opportunities late in the game with the score tied and down by a run. BOTH times the tying or winning run was 90 feet away !!

BOTH Ford and Torrens have batting avg BELOW the Mendoza line and the M's have no pinch hitter option better than those 2 morons to try to win a game ??

Total failure by Dipoto and Servais, they are equally culpable in this shit show. Instead of sweeping the Astros and hitting the road going 4-2 at home ( pretty decent actually ) we limp on to another road trip after barely scapping together a .500 home stand ( and 3 of the games were against a team with a .400 win % )

Marco pitched a great game. The bats let him down and the GM let down the team and the fans by having such shitty ball players in the 9 man line up and no decent substitution options on the bench.

Lewis has an entire year to rehab and rest and 8 or so at bats wear him out to the point he cannot pinch hit for 1 single at bat to win us a game ?
If he is that frail, why even have him playing ?

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh lord here we go again...

They said during the broadcast that with tomorrow off and after playing a couple days they wanted to rest him today and that included not letting him warm up for pinch hitting duty. Hopefully that's all it is.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said during the broadcast that with tomorrow off and after playing a couple days they wanted to rest him today and that included not letting him warm up for pinch hitting duty. Hopefully that's all it is.
Assuming he's not injured, that's a loser play from a loser team. If you can't risk Lewis one at bat today what makes tomorrow or any at bat the rest of the season any different?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the same thing and then saw an article said that an extension would be difficult since he isn't a free agent until 2025. I don't see it being difficult at all. Buy his arb years out because of what you said plus he deserves it. At 27 not sure what numbers would look like but I say 5 year at $75M? High? Low?
5/75 sounds good to me with the possibility of going a little higher. 5/100 would be what I’m assuming he’d want but whatever, baseball players don’t have the leverage unless something new in the CBA that I missed that helps players in his age/service range. I depending on guessing what his agent thinks his high in arbitration could be. Can’t really think in any of his 3 years left he would get 15 a year except maybe 2025 arbitration year. Was just curious on what you’d think. So far I think Jerry has gotten Marco and JP right? Unless I am missing someone, if they can’t attract FA they need to signal to other agents that you can at least consider Seattle….I know they got Ray but they need offense and have since 2006.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree so completely.

Riddle me this Bat-Man ........

How on earth do you have a 25 man roster on a MLB ballclub and you have NO ONE to pinch hit for 2 terrible hitters in 2 different game winning opportunities late in the game with the score tied and down by a run. BOTH times the tying or winning run was 90 feet away !!

BOTH Ford and Torrens have batting avg BELOW the Mendoza line and the M's have no pinch hitter option better than those 2 morons to try to win a game ??

Total failure by Dipoto and Servais, they are equally culpable in this shit show. Instead of sweeping the Astros and hitting the road going 4-2 at home ( pretty decent actually ) we limp on to another road trip after barely scapping together a .500 home stand ( and 3 of the games were against a team with a .400 win % )

Marco pitched a great game. The bats let him down and the GM let down the team and the fans by having such shitty ball players in the 9 man line up and no decent substitution options on the bench.

Lewis has an entire year to rehab and rest and 8 or so at bats wear him out to the point he cannot pinch hit for 1 single at bat to win us a game ?
If he is that frail, why even have him playing ?
Your first part is a Jerry problem, he didn’t put a major league offense out this year. He put out what 5 dudes then everyone else is a backup or utility player.

It is something we have to realize, Lewis is frail at the moment and has been except a 60 game stretch where he wore out at the end. But ya, it is bogus that a DH isn’t available to pinch hit. PH him and pinch run for him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5/75 sounds good to me with the possibility of going a little higher. 5/100 would be what I’m assuming he’d want but whatever, baseball players don’t have the leverage unless something new in the CBA that I missed that helps players in his age/service range. I depending on guessing what his agent thinks his high in arbitration could be. Can’t really think in any of his 3 years left he would get 15 a year except maybe 2025 arbitration year. Was just curious on what you’d think. So far I think Jerry has gotten Marco and JP right? Unless I am missing someone, if they can’t attract FA they need to signal to other agents that you can at least consider Seattle….I know they got Ray but they need offense and have since 2006.
I didn't realize he was only making $735K this year. So if they sign him now, they are buying out his three arb years plus 2 free agent years with a 5 year deal. How much can he go up next year in arb? I am thinking the 5/$75 is fair. JP got 5/$51M and he was making $575K then $2.05M then $4.85M before the extension.

You forgot White...lol.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hated hearing Marco's quote after the game. He said (paraphrasing) that the loss was okay because the objective was to win the series and they did that. That is a loser mentality. You can think that way before a series or even after losing game one of a series, but after winning the first two you should never say it is okay. You went from 8 back to 10 back with that loss. Last year we missed out by 2 games. That is the difference in beating the team ahead of you one more time like yesterdays game.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've pretty much given up on Trammell, but for what it's worth he hasn't been completely awful so far since being called up. I'm not optimistic, but maybe this is him finally figuring something out and showing why he was once considered a top-50 prospect. Much to my surprise he was Baseball Prospectus' #11 overall prospect prior to 2019. I'm not entirely opposed to giving him ABs given our current roster situation, but if Dipoto had actually done his job this offseason we wouldn't even be in this position.

But yeah those three being in the lineup is definitely a problem.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh lord here we go again...

I have to believe this is bullshit.

Unless Lewis is put on the IL, I will completely see this as the team not wanting to take a risk to win a game. I would find it hard to believe that he somehow agitated his knee issue by merely swinging a bat. I actually hadn't seen any of his ABs live, so I don't really know, but if the team doesn't feel comfortable putting him in a possible game winning situation, why is he even on the roster?

I can tell you why! So he can hit well enough to give us some excitement for next year when he's fully healthy! Always next year, right?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hated hearing Marco's quote after the game. He said (paraphrasing) that the loss was okay because the objective was to win the series and they did that. That is a loser mentality. You can think that way before a series or even after losing game one of a series, but after winning the first two you should never say it is okay. You went from 8 back to 10 back with that loss. Last year we missed out by 2 games. That is the difference in beating the team ahead of you one more time like yesterdays game.
Right now the objective shouldn't be just to win the series, but to win every game. I get not being too hung up on a loss, but if your mentality that a series win is good enough when we sit at 20-28, we have a problem.

There are 114 games remaining for the Mariners. This is napkin math, but if we win every 3 game series (.666% win percentage), that puts us at 76-38 the rest of the way. That would put us at 96-66. That outcome alone is unlikely, and that might not even be enough to get us into the playoffs.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming he's not injured, that's a loser play from a loser team. If you can't risk Lewis one at bat today what makes tomorrow or any at bat the rest of the season any different?
They don't want to risk Kyle Lewis possibly getting hurt when next year is really "our year."