• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Astros @ M’s: 4/16-4/18

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners’ bullpen since April 10 (MLB Rank)
ERA
: 0.65 (1st)
Opposing BA: .092 (1st)
Opposing OPS: .321 (1st)
HR allowed: 0 (t-1st)
Ljay Newsome relieved Margevicius in a pinch and walked his first batter, but after that, he, Casey Sadler, Anthony Misiewicz, Rafael Montero and Drew Steckenrider combined to throw first-pitch strikes against each of the final 16 hitters they faced.
There’ve been two blown saves in this stretch of nine games, both by Montero in Baltimore earlier this week, but the righty bounced back and pitched a 1-2-3 eighth against Houston’s best hitters: Yuli Gurriel, Michael Brantley and

2) Margevicius’ status looms
The left-hander was cruising with just one hit and one run allowed over his first four innings, but he threw four awkward pitches to lead off the fifth that prompted the Mariners to make an immediate change.
Mariners manager Scott Servais chalked the issue up to arm fatigue given that Margevicius wasn’t as fully stretched out as the rest of Seattle’s starters since he broke camp as the longman in the bullpen. And Servais anticipates that Margevicius will make his next start, which would be next Sunday in Boston if the club stays on turn.
“He just didn't feel right,” Servais said. “He looked a little tired. When he went out his warmup pitches that inning -- sometimes I'll keep an eye on that -- and it just didn't didn't look right how the ball was coming out. And after the first couple pitches, clearly it wasn't right. So, he got checked out by the doctors and they think he's gonna be OK. No issues medically. We’ll give him a couple days off and then go from there.”

Still, a pitcher exiting early is alarming -- and that’s particularly true for the Mariners, given that Margevicius was the rotation replacement for James Paxton, who will soon undergo season-ending surgery related to a left forearm strain. When Margevicius was installed to the six-man staff, Newsome took his spot as the longman. That indicates that the 24-year-old righty, who picked up his first career win on Sunday, would slot in should it come to that. But beyond Newsome, even with a six-man rotation, the Mariners’ depth is thin.
Jimmy Yacabonis and Robert Dugger are the lone starters at the alternate training site, and Minor League reinforcements aren’t an option right now since those respective seasons don’t begin until May 6 and those pitchers aren’t stretched

Daniel Kramer covers the Mariners for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @DKramer

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't get to see the game much, watching the replay now while knowing the ending.

The bullpen has been incredible so far. Those numbers, while unsustainable, are insane, and 6 of those games are against the Stros and Twins, who can hit.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great to win a series against the Stros.....but, let's face it, 1/2 their team was MIA. A good ego boost for the M's but when they have a full team it's gonna be a different story I think. Hope I'm wrong.....it's the Mariners though, so I think I'm OK with what with my hunch. 3 games at the Bos Sox, then 2 at the Stros and then we have 2 with the Angels at home. That should give a good idea how this team deals with solid teams...... BoSox and Angels. France is killing it and Mitch is right there too. Regardless, it's just flat out fun to see these young dudes making their statements. Can't wait for Lewis, hopefull in Boston on Tuesday. Seager- rough day today. Hope NWinAZ and I didn't jinx Seager. :pound:

Better than losing the series against them with half their guys out. The Astros have lost quite a few playoffs off their World Series teams. They're still good, but they're not the Mariners' boogieman that they used to be, IMO

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Pitching was lights out... Great opening series win and way to close the series with a beating... I know they were short handed but they've beaten us up in the past when we were short handed... For how young we are, they definitely give us hope for the next few years... This team can't manufacture runs but they can get them in a hurry...