• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ASJ (all-star joke)

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose that barn-burner last night had its appeal but honestly, I'm glad they make such a big deal out of the HR derby. The other three singles don't do much.

Seemed a little like Dusty-Ball.
:wtf2:

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a game to remember for the NL or the Reds. Phillips had a couple of show-off plays, but that was it. Votto looked drunk and Chapman made his case for wild pitcher of the year.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose that barn-burner last night had its appeal but honestly, I'm glad they make such a big deal out of the HR derby. The other three singles don't do much.

Seemed a little like Dusty-Ball.
:wtf2:

Mariano getting game MVP = All Star joke.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually when a future HOF is making his last AS game appearance, they try to make a big deal of it. I've seen/heard of a few homers hit by same, that might have been given a word up or a grooveball to hit. Strictly rumor.

Rivera has been a great one. He should own the patent on the modern day cutter, because he perfected it. It is nice to see him go out with some skills left, too... instead of so many that hang on as a fraction of the player they used to be, chasing a few more homers or wins or saves or whatever stat benchmark they feel is going to define them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivera was no more or less deserving than the other 8 pitchers but I guess, since MLB likes to prop up heroes in an era when everyone is suspect ... there wasn't much doubt about the MVP decision.

I read a piece the other day about Chris Davis and how the scribes are so agog that he's getting these home runs the "clean" way, which elevates him to instant hero status. Nothing like being the John Wayne of MLB these days.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivera was no more or less deserving than the other 8 pitchers but I guess, since MLB likes to prop up heroes in an era when everyone is suspect ... there wasn't much doubt about the MVP decision.

So, it was an inside job.....? And, if so, MLB does what it considers the right thing here. I hope they know that, in the minds of a few like me, they just cheapened the award. But, then again, when I think of gold glove winners, they have a history of this.

Finally, and to me, last nights MVP was Jason Kipnis. 1 for 1, with an r.b.i double. His was the only hit that drove in a run, and his r.b.i was the last.

Are you saying that what Mo did, a clean inning with no K's, was more valuable? I would love to see someone try to sell this........

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saving games isn't as glamorous or sexy as hitting a walk off homer, 3000 hits, 500 homers, 300 wins, etc etc etc. i've watched rivera closely for the last 15 years. absolutely amazing. very genuine humble person. gives back to the community many times over. a man of deep faith and conviction, and he's not afraid to share it. his baseball career speaks for itself. trust me on this one thing john; mariano rivera deserved all the accolades he received last night. rivera didn't need to be propped up by anyone, including mlb.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll, scribes dunno shit... doesn't stop them from selling it though.

I'd betcha the good Lord, the players and Bud Ducking Selig ALL know ALL these guys were or still are, roiders. The media and MLB were pimping Ryan Braun as John Wayne 15 minutes before he failed a test, and tried to look people in the eye after the chain of custody fiasco set him free, only to be busted in the Biogenisis probe.

Lotsa new faces in the AS game, trying to make people forget about the PED generation they hope to replace...except Big Papi is now the all time best DH, and even Nomar Farciaparra and Mike Pedazza graced the AS game with their skeletons in tow. You can't be serious about giving up heroin and still hang out with junkies can you ? It's a sham, IMO.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Rivera. A classy guy in an often classless business. 1st ballot Famer on my book.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saving games isn't as glamorous or sexy as hitting a walk off homer, 3000 hits, 500 homers, 300 wins, etc etc etc. i've watched rivera closely for the last 15 years. absolutely amazing. very genuine humble person. gives back to the community many times over. a man of deep faith and conviction, and he's not afraid to share it. his baseball career speaks for itself. trust me on this one thing john; mariano rivera deserved all the accolades he received last night. rivera didn't need to be propped up by anyone, including mlb.

O.k then. Unless I am reading this wrong, someone just turned a single game MVP award into a lifetime acheivement award. And to that end, and IMO, he did not deserve the former, but would be much deserving of the latter.

I am going to guess, as this is a constant issue with me, that I am once again expecting more of and from folks than I should.......

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If you expect nothing, you will never be disappointed". An ex wife told me that once. I still haven't figured out if she was giving that advice to me or her, but it was pretty expensive advice either way.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If you expect nothing, you will never be disappointed". An ex wife told me that once. I still haven't figured out if she was giving that advice to me or her, but it was pretty expensive advice either way.

LMFAO.

I have 2 ex wives. Both expected EVERYTHING of me. Sadly for them, both "only" got half.

On a related note, I myself only expect of others what I expect of myself. Just don't get me started on how about 90% I end up disappointed.........

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We are discussing whether he was the ASG's MVP, not his overall contributions to baseball. One isn't always the same as the other. I honestly don't think the ASG needs a "most valuable anything" other than to allow for another 8 minutes of air time.

I can still prescribe to the belief that real-live "clean" heroes are a premium commodity in MLB and that the scribes will go overboard to promote them. That's not to say the guy didn't earn it, but there aren't many players who aren't a bit suspect. Doing your job for 15 years and not being arrested for abuse is really the yardstick for hero status these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMFAO.

I have 2 ex wives. Both expected EVERYTHING of me. Sadly for them, both "only" got half.

On a related note, I myself only expect of others what I expect of myself. Just don't get me started on how about 90% I end up disappointed.........

I actually expect almost nothing from anybody and usually, it's what I end up with.
With myself, I have most of what I need so my expectations are fairly simple.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing your job for 15 years and not being arrested for abuse is really the yardstick for hero status these days.

And how sad is that?

With myself, I have most of what I need so my expectations are fairly simple.

Great......

Just another person I get to be jealous of.......

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKWch_MNY0]Mac Davis - It's Hard To Be Humble (1980) - YouTube[/ame]