• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: A's @ M's: 31st - 2nd

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad sign when are trades of late have been for cash.

Giants acquired RHP Sam Delaplane from the Mariners for cash considerations; optioned him to Triple-A Sacramento.​

Delaplane was recently designated for assignment by the Mariners. It's a nice under-the-radar move for the Giants, as he's shown some excellent potential as a bullpen arm in the minors. The 26-year-old underwent Tommy John surgery in April, but this move could pay off down the road.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fraley up, Campbell down.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I coached little league seniors here in the Stilly Valley ( Snohomish county ) and a kid I coached for 2 years got drafted by the SF Giants a couple years ago after completing his full ride baseball scholarship at WSU. Drafted 30th round I think ( pretty far down )

He has been promoted to 'advanced A' ball and I believe AA is easily in his picture within a year. AAA is hard to say as it is such a big leap ( depends on AA stats )

He is listed on this chart stat and has the best ERA on the team thus far. His name is Ryan Walker from Arlington WA

20 strike outs in 12 innings pitched / 9 appearances is legit stuff. Obviously he is a reliever and not a starter.

Great kid - humble and hard working - I stay in touch with his dad to this day. He has shared with me I was one of the reasons Ryan pursued a baseball career.

His personal page

scroll down to bottom of pitchers - Ryan Walker

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ROBOT UMPS PLEASE!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I coached little league seniors here in the Stilly Valley ( Snohomish county ) and a kid I coached for 2 years got drafted by the SF Giants a couple years ago after completing his full ride baseball scholarship at WSU. Drafted 30th round I think ( pretty far down )

He has been promoted to 'advanced A' ball and I believe AA is easily in his picture within a year. AAA is hard to say as it is such a big leap ( depends on AA stats )

He is listed on this chart stat and has the best ERA on the team thus far. His name is Ryan Walker from Arlington WA

20 strike outs in 12 innings pitched / 9 appearances is legit stuff. Obviously he is a reliever and not a starter.

Great kid - humble and hard working - I stay in touch with his dad to this day. He has shared with me I was one of the reasons Ryan pursued a baseball career.

His personal page

scroll down to bottom of pitchers - Ryan Walker
That's awesome. It's got to make you feel really proud of him and all your efforts. Way to go!!

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell do these umps get away with calls that are so damn obvious :noidea:

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's awesome. It's got to make you feel really proud of him and all your efforts. Way to go!!
Hey thanks

Yea was a whole lotta fun for 5 years. Current day 15yrs later I still get approached by parents and their now grown men little leaguers when I am out and about in the area.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert needs to learn to throw that slider for a strike early in the count. Was a nice one he just rung up Lowry on to end the inning ( was a 2 strike count and threw it below the strike zone and the batter wiffed swinging over the top of it )

I have noticed through a few starts batters sit dead read fastball on him because he struggles to get the breaking ball over the plate and his fastball is straight as a string ( ie: zero run or movement on his fastball ) - as the announcers just stated, big league hitters will crush that heater unless he can get them off balance with some legit off speed stuff.

The only reason Lowry went fishing for the slider was he had 2 strikes on him and had to protect. He seems to float alot of them (sliders) that just spin and have little to no break on them - about 1 out of 3 has a nice rotation and quick break at the end. The other start he was spiking them in the dirt 2 feet in front of the plate. He obviously can't throw them for a strike which is why he throws such a high % of fastballs. If he doesn't develop a changeup ( as the announcers just stated ) and a good changeup is hard to learn and even harder to mask on delivery. Much easier to learn to throw strikes with his breaking pitches. From what I see he needs to abandon the curve ball completely, it's not that good a pitch for him and he hardly ever throws it ( no confidence to throw it )

He works the corners at time with his heater, but way too often catches too much of the plate belt high and gets it crushed ( like that 400 footer off the center field wall last inning )

Big kid with a pretty strong arm, but I am far from impressed nor a believer he will be a serviceable starter moving forward.

Likely he gets his 1st win today, if the bullpen can hold a 2 run lead. Should be a 3 run lead as Lewis error in the 1st put the runner at 3rd which eventually scored on the sac fly.

Nice little run the Ms are on - just a few games back of division lead ( 3-4 games ) and above .500 with a win today. Hard to think it will last when 4 out of 9 guys in the lineup last nite have sub .200 batting averages ( well below .200 )

but a win is a win

correction for above: Ryan has one of the best ERA on the team - not THE best

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big kid with a pretty strong arm, but I am far from impressed nor a believer he will be a serviceable starter moving forward.
I never saw him pitch in the minors but I would guess he was more of a thrower than a pitcher in the minors because of his fastball. Now it is time to become the pitcher we need and today was by far his best day. Movement and location will go a long way with his stuff. You were dead on with your comments about why he has struggled so far. I think his ceiling is Freddy Garcia which would be great. Time will tell.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better pinch hit for Kelenic here in the bottom of the 9th. 2 punchouts on the day and not a single ball in play in 4 plate appearances ( 2bb and 2 K )

edit - Make that 3 K's

Stupid to send him to the plate.

A trip to Tacoma is in his future I think

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a 4-2 lead. Balked in a run followed by a hit to give up the tie.

You can live with younger players struggling, but the mental mistakes you can't make in MLB are another story.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw him pitch in the minors but I would guess he was more of a thrower than a pitcher in the minors because of his fastball. Now it is time to become the pitcher we need and today was by far his best day. Movement and location will go a long way with his stuff. You were dead on with your comments about why he has struggled so far. I think his ceiling is Freddy Garcia which would be great. Time will tell.

I like the fact he has good control with his fastball. A 5 K and 1 walk today is great control.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely didnt see a win coming after they allowed the game to be tied.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely didnt see a win coming after they allowed the game to be tied.

Yea they got away with one today. Sloppy game by the Ms.

In the bottom of the 10th I kept rewinding the game looking for the hit I musta missed when I saw the guy on 2nd base.
I completely forgot about the new extra inning rule !! :laugh3:

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Melvin and crew are in a slide out of 1st place. I don't think the M's necessarily won this game but more likely the A's lost the game and it seems to be a recent habit for them. They just lost to the Angels, so that must tell something.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
200.gif

This is how this team makes me feel.. 7 out of 8 losses then 7 out of 8 wins...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where he should have started at. Move him up if he hit. This way is a demotion instead of a promotion in the lineup.