• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aroldis Chapman Trade Possibilities?

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was hearing a lot of discussion on a sports talk show yesterday about the possibility of the Reds trading Aroldis Chapman. Honestly it actually does make sense because I think he's only under team control for 2 or 3 more years after this year if I'm not mistaken. Also add in the fact that he's probably going to walk after his deal expires because the Yankees, Angels, Dodgers etc. are going to outbid the Reds. They were talking about how making him a starter would increase his trade value and that one possible trade would be to deal him and something else for Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins. Honestly that would make a ton of sense if it did happened because it fills a huge need for the Reds and it completely changes the dynamic of the Reds lineup. What do you guys think on this?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think making him a starter would increase his general value, for the same reason elite SP make more money than elite RP...because getting 15-27 outs is worth more than getting 3. I think the Reds have been missing the boat since Chapman came up, there.

The fact that he's under control for years also makes me believe he's attractive to trade FOR, but probably equally as attractive to keep. It's a no brainer, IMO. I never believe you have too much pitching, and as this bullpen has displayed some dismal effectiveness this year, I see the Reds as less likely to trade their most effective reliever...even if he should be a starter.

I think there is plenty of willing offers, but zero generated by the Reds.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, Stanton is a guy that COULD hit 35 HR, hitting .240 and playing bad D doing it, that WILL make a big salary in a few years. We already have Jay Bruce, who WILL hit 35 HR, .250 and play great D while doing it, making a big salary FOR the next few years.

I'd rather have a lefty SP that throws 103. Besides, the Marlins have had lots of opportunities to get rid of players, and they kept Stanton- he's cheap, and the only hitter keeping the park open to paying customers.

Never say never, but I wouldn't trade Chapman for Stanton, or Stanton for Chapman under current circumstances of both teams.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't put a lot of stock in a bunch of guys sitting around a radio studio speculating on what appears obvious to them.

Bloggers and radio beanheads can say Chapman ought to become a starter to improve his value. Price could have made Chappy a starter but he didn't.

The Stanton link seems obvious to these guys, who seem to think Chapman=Cuba=instant star.

Stanton is under team control till 2017, I think. He's worth more than a pitcher.