• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Armstrong: We'll be going 11-1 to see MSU again

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy is gonna be just fine. Cripes sakes guys.

It was his first real daunting test as a starting QB. I remember Tommie Frazier sucking badly as a Sophomore in a couple big games (FSU in '92 ring a bell?). Or how about Scott Frost on the road @ Arizona State in '96.......that was a real stinker. Eric Crouch had even more struggles in his younger years than did Frazier or Frost, and he ended up winning the Heisman.

All 3 of those guys ended up leading teams to a National Championship appearance at some point.

Give it some time. Tommy Armstrong is a real gamer. This was his first real test. He's young.
------
Frazier only started 6 games as a freshman--like TA. Except this is TA's second year as a starter. Frosts game against ASU I believe was literally his first game as a starter. Crouch? Teams had already figured our offense out. Stop Crouch/Stop Nebraska. I like TA but as of now he's sort of a sqare peg in a round hole.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tito was good at hitting the 5-10 yd pass. it's a pass I'm not even seeing from Beck with TA at the helm. that's what doesn't make sense to me. those were the passes we needed against MSU, something to get those LBs to respect the pass instead of coming downhill on everything.

also, Ameer throwing, maybe he's not that good at it, but it doesn't have to be good if you can sneak a TE behind the LBs on a read option play.

I'm still furious with Beck in this MSU game. No innovation whatsoever. No Diamond formation, only one Ameercat, never handed it to the jetsweep guy (what's the point of the motion if you never give it to the guy?), no backup gameplan for MSU stuffing the run and TA not hitting the deep ball.

I like your analysis of this offense, tometom. You seem to have a good grasp of it.

I've spent the last couple days wondering if Bo/Beck didn't put Ameer's "Heisman Campaign" ahead of just winning the game.

Not that they were trying to lose, just that they were going to keep feeding Ameer to get him 100 yds rushing.

That Tommy was so intent on giving it to Ameer instead of keeping it gives the impression that there was no "Zone Read" actually going on. It was supposed to give the appearance of a zone read, but Michigan St didn't bite.

I think you alluded in a prior post as to how many times Tommy could have kept it for a fair gain. Instead he gave it to Ameer who got stuffed.

Last edited by a moderator:

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your analysis of this offense, tometom. You seem to have a good grasp of it.

I've spent the last couple days wondering if Bo/Beck didn't put Ameer's "Heisman Campaign" ahead of just winning the game.

Not that they were trying to lose, just that they were going to keep feeding Ameer to get him 100 yds rushing.

That Tommy was so intent on giving it to Ameer instead of keeping it gives the impression that there was no "Zone Read" actually going on. It was supposed to give the appearance of a zone read, but Michigan St didn't bite.

I think you alluded in a prior post as to how many times Tommy could have kept it for a fair gain. Instead he gave it to Ameer who got stuffed.
i honestly had been thinking that as well. the only reason I didn't write it was that if Bo and Beck were seriously trying to do that, I think they would have ran way more Ameercat. i mean why even bother giving it to Tommy first?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
------
Frazier only started 6 games as a freshman--like TA. Except this is TA's second year as a starter. Frosts game against ASU I believe was literally his first game as a starter. Crouch? Teams had already figured our offense out. Stop Crouch/Stop Nebraska. I like TA but as of now he's sort of a sqare peg in a round hole.

You keep saying that, but that statement makes zero sense whatsoever and it shows what little you know about this type of offense. It's designed specifically for a player like Tommy Armstrong. Physically he is a round peg in a round hole.

1. Whether the offensive coordinator uses it properly is another thing altogether.
2. Whether the offensive line can block for it is another thing altogether.
3. Whether or not Tommy Armstrong can mentally grasp it is another thing all together.

It's the "drop back passer what doesn't scramble" (the QB you want to put in it) that would be the "square peg in a round hole".

Do you understand how stupid you look?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep saying that, but that statement makes zero sense whatsoever and it shows what little you know about this type of offense. It's designed specifically for a player like Tommy Armstrong. Physically he is a round peg in a round hole.

1. Whether the offensive coordinator uses it properly is another thing altogether.
3. Whether or not Tommy Armstrong can mentally grasp it is another thing all together.

It's the "drop back passer what doesn't scramble" (the QB you want to put in it) that would be the "square peg in a round hole".

Square peg in a round hole seems to be a favorite phrase of a couple on here.

f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44de4eb56039994a47f00d296b.jpg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i honestly had been thinking that as well. the only reason I didn't write it was that if Bo and Beck were seriously trying to do that, I think they would have ran way more Ameercat. i mean why even bother giving it to Tommy first?

Because the zone read is their base offense. The one they've been practicing for a couple years now. I don't think they wanted to reinvent the wheel just for Michigan St.

A couple of those plays mixed in would have been fine. Whether they would have worked or not with Michigan St keying on Ameer so much remained to be seen.

I think Dantonio is just plain smarter than Bo. The whole week was spent talking about it being Ameer's Heisman game. Dantonio said :nono:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea you gotta have the ball in Tommy's hands to make the Defense guess.

Essentially, we are just running the option.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The past 2 seasons we kinda gashed MSU on the ground and I think Beck thought it was going to happen again.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But for whatever reason.....at the end of duh day......we just didn't execute.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea you gotta have the ball in Tommy's hands to make the Defense guess.

Essentially, we are just running the option.

How so? They're running anything but an option.

How is 'Feed Ameer' an option?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? They're running anything but an option.

How is 'Feed Ameer' an option?

I meant it starts in Tommy's hands to make a Defense guess which "option" he's going to go with.

But yea, lately there has only been one option used.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant it starts in Tommy's hands to make a Defense guess which "option" he's going to go with.

But yea, lately there has only been one option used.

So is it Tommy being timid (lacking confidence in himself), Tommy trying to get Ameer the Heisman, or Bo/Beck trying to get Ameer the Heisman?

:noidea:

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After McNeese Bo told Beck to use American or else. Beck doesn't want to find out what or else is so all he will do is use ameer

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
------

Pretty sure Frazier started 7 games as a freshman as did Armstrong.

Frazier

Freshman (1992) (Started 7 games)

Passing - 44 of 100 (44%), (727 yds), (10 TD's), (1 INT)
Rushing - 86 for 399 yds (4.6 YPC), (7 TD's)

Lost @ (4-7) Iowa St (10-19), Lost Orange Bowl to (11-1) FSU (14-27)

Sophomore (1993)

Passing - 77 of 162 (47.5%), (1,159 yds), (12 TD's) (4 INT's)
Rushing - 126 for 704 yds (6.6 YPC), (9 TD's)

Close wins @ (8-4) UCLA (14-13), @ (8-3-1) Colorado (21-17), @ (5-7) Kansas (21-20)
Lost Orange Bowl to FSU (16-18)

Armstrong

Freshman (2013) (Split time with Kellogg)

Passing - 68 for 131 (51.9%), (966 yds), (9 TD's), (8 INT's)
Rushing - 67 for 202 yds (4 YPC), (2 TD's)

Close wins against Northwestern (27-24), @ Michigan (17-13), @ Penn St (23-20), Georgia Gator Bowl (24-19)
Lost to Michigan St (28-41)

Sophomore (2014) (Thru 6 games)

Passing - 82 of 158 (51.9%), (1325 yds), (10 TD's), (5 INT's)
Rushing - 61 for 427 yds (7 YPC), (2 TD's)

Close win against McNeese St (31-24)
Lost @ Michigan St (22-27)

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is it Tommy being timid (lacking confidence in himself), Tommy trying to get Ameer the Heisman, or Bo/Beck trying to get Ameer the Heisman?

:noidea:

I think the coaches definitely made it a point to be pretty 1-dimensional in that game.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

=======
Do you even get what I'm saying (if you did you'd realize how stupid you sound). We have had two scramblers in a row for a handful of years. Show us a quality win by either of them. You're three bullet points haven't happened with either QB. It's not the QB per se it's what we are recruiting for the position--QBs that can run rather than QBs with an arm. Few if any really good college teams rely solely on "just the run" anymore than they rely solely on "the passing game". In todays game we need a QB that can operate our running game successfully (we pretty much have that), but we also need a passing game to keep defenses off balance (we don't have that).

Maybe drawing you pictures would better help you understand that. Unfornutately, I'm not inclined to do that. You wouldn't get it anyway.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
=======
Do you even get what I'm saying (if you did you'd realize how stupid you sound). We have had two scramblers in a row for a handful of years. Show us a quality win by either of them. You're three bullet points haven't happened with either QB. It's not the QB per se it's what we are recruiting for the position--QBs that can run rather than QBs with an arm. Few if any really good college teams rely solely on "just the run" anymore than they rely solely on "the passing game". In todays game we need a QB that can operate our running game successfully (we pretty much have that), but we also need a passing game to keep defenses off balance (we don't have that).

Maybe drawing you pictures would better help you understand that. Unfornutately, I'm not inclined to do that. You wouldn't get it anyway.

So we need Taylor Martinez?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
=======

Yes I get what you're saying. You're saying Peyton Manning would have been better than Tommie Frazier running an option oriented offense.

Do you even watch football? You wouldn't sound so fucking dumb if you'd just say that Nebraska needs to 'scrap the entire offense and go with a pro-style'.

The type of offense Nebraska is trying to execute is not the offense for a drop back passer. It's why they are not recruiting drop back passers.

Can you grasp that?

I don't know how to explain it to you in simpler terms than a 10 year old would understand.

Somebody help shadybil.....I mean bigred472 out, will ya?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Beck had a drop back passer on his hands, he would probably tell him to learn how to punt.

As long as he's here, we'll never field a true drop back passer.