• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Steelers better without Troy Polamalu?

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier this season, in the Steelers section, I asked if it was Troy's time to go. Most agreed that it is. He's getting up there in years and injuries due to his playing style have caught up to him.

The argument that we're better without him comes from the numbers.

Steelers dismiss notion D better without Polamalu - NFL.com

Our best two defensive efforts all year have come with Troy on the bench.

Granted, when he's not in there we miss the big splash plays - but we're also more consistant. Everyone knows what everyone else is doing on every down.

The Steelers locker room disagrees but we don't know if they're just being politically correct or if they actually believe it.

Troy gambles. Early in his career he was getting there - and even if he was wrong on the gamble, he was fast enough to recover. Crowd the line on a given play to fake the blitz, then back peddle fast enough to get deep. He was never where you thought he would be. Ask Joe Flacco.

But that was then. He's lost some of that speed and now if he doesn't get there, the rest of the team (the other safety more often than not) has to make up the slack.

Are we better without Troy?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy's body is writing checks it can't cash.

His biggest asset has always been as a free-lancer/risk taker because he was athletic enough to recover from most of his mis-steps/mistakes. This is no longer the case, and now when he's out of position, he simply can't recover. As a straight up, text book player, he's below average. He's had a fabulous run, but just looking from the outside in...His days are done.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they are a better team with Troy on the bench.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy's body is writing checks it can't cash.

His biggest asset has always been as a free-lancer/risk taker because he was athletic enough to recover from most of his mis-steps/mistakes. This is no longer the case, and now when he's out of position, he simply can't recover. As a straight up, text book player, he's below average. He's had a fabulous run, but just looking from the outside in...His days are done.

This is my view as well.

Cortez Allen doesn't have his athletic talent but is more stable and reliable.

I have a feeling we may let Troy go at the end of the year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen...I think you meant Will Allen.

All good things come to an end at some point and I think Troy can still make the occasional splash play, but he may not make the routine play consistently like he once did...the end has come as a star level player.

The health breakdowns have cropped up again, and that should be the signal to the FO that 2014 should be his last in PIT.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen...I think you meant Will Allen.

All good things come to an end at some point and I think Troy can still make the occasional splash play, but he may not make the routine play consistently like he once did...the end has come as a star level player.

The health breakdowns have cropped up again, and that should be the signal to the FO that 2014 should be his last in PIT.

Yes, TY.

He used to have the talent to gamble, be wrong, and make up for it. He's no longer that guy.

He missed the probowl this year.

I don't know when his contract is up but we can't keep him.

There comes a time when all men - no matter how good - have to move on. "Mean" Joe had to retire one day. So did Rod Woodson. It will happen to all men in the NFL at one point or another and it always happens sooner than you think.

He's made so many great plays over the years. I'll always remember the INT he had vs. the Chargers in 2008 where he slid his hand under the ball before it hit. Same year he picked off Flacco and went in for the TD that sealed it for us.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy - hell, I wear his jersey around the house. It's just time for him to go, that's all.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for him to retire. I don't think he would want to go anywhere else. I have heard he doesn't enjoy football like he used to. Hate to see him decline but it happens. My favorite Steeler of all-time.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO yes to not only Troy but Ike too, these guys are too old imo for that position. Guys like Champ and Woodson lost their steps last few years too and Champ knew it was time to retire

Adanac

beer.....yes please!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's a slapped ass.

he's lost that step.

Adanac

beer.....yes please!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah when your 38? and carrying 10 lbs of hair, aint easy

that too!

at this time he's a "filler" type player....

but watch him go out there and pick Flacid Flacco again.....that wouldn't surprise me at all.

HOFer.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mother nature is a heartless bitch for sure. Loved to watch him play. Would have been better if the NFL knew how to use cameras. TV broadcast miss 95% of the action.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice to see him get his cap number down and stick around another year. Play maybe 15 to 20 plays a game and help out with the youngsters. Of course that doesn't happen in this league.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving on from Dick LeBeau imo meant moving on from Troy, Ike, and most likely Harrison. Butler (new DC) will want to put his stamp on the DEF with younger players.

I expect Troy to announce his retirement sometime in the next month or so.

Never was great in coverage, now he's a liability...once a sure tackler, and good for 2 or 3 splash plays a game, now he's not...father time has called in the chips.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy has lost a step for sure... But man, that guy has been as good as it get's at the position...

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he still has something left and wants to give it another shot, then by all means i'd love to see him back. But he hasn't looked like himself the last couple years, not even close most of the time. So if he were to walk away, i wouldn't question it at all. The way that guy is wired to play, it's all or nothing. Won't be surprised either way he goes!

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier this season, in the Steelers section, I asked if it was Troy's time to go. Most agreed that it is. He's getting up there in years and injuries due to his playing style have caught up to him.

The argument that we're better without him comes from the numbers.

Steelers dismiss notion D better without Polamalu - NFL.com

Our best two defensive efforts all year have come with Troy on the bench.

Granted, when he's not in there we miss the big splash plays - but we're also more consistant. Everyone knows what everyone else is doing on every down.

The Steelers locker room disagrees but we don't know if they're just being politically correct or if they actually believe it.

Troy gambles. Early in his career he was getting there - and even if he was wrong on the gamble, he was fast enough to recover. Crowd the line on a given play to fake the blitz, then back peddle fast enough to get deep. He was never where you thought he would be. Ask Joe Flacco.

But that was then. He's lost some of that speed and now if he doesn't get there, the rest of the team (the other safety more often than not) has to make up the slack.

Are we better without Troy?

I don't think so, you're talking about one of the top 2 safeties of this era....He and Ed were 1a and 1b depending on who you asked.... His knowledge compensates for his lost step to the degree that he is still a top tier safety in this league....You can teach and coach only so much and then they have to have the it factor to get to and maintain that level....And gamble is what great players do, that's what makes them greater than the others.....He and Ed were a special breed, and as we learned by letting Ed leave for the same reasons, that we should have kept him in a lesser role but to teach, motivate and illustrate what a true champion is to the youngens.....
Pitts would be better to keep him for those reasons alone IMO....:2cents:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so, you're talking about one of the top 2 safeties of this era....He and Ed were 1a and 1b depending on who you asked.... His knowledge compensates for his lost step to the degree that he is still a top tier safety in this league....You can teach and coach only so much and then they have to have the it factor to get to and maintain that level....And gamble is what great players do, that's what makes them greater than the others.....He and Ed were a special breed, and as we learned by letting Ed leave for the same reasons, that we should have kept him in a lesser role but to teach, motivate and illustrate what a true champion is to the youngens.....
Pitts would be better to keep him for those reasons alone IMO....:2cents:

What you say in terms of teaching makes prefect sense, but it just doesn't line up with cap era...an $8 mil cap hit player...Troy is no longer. Shamarko Thomas got 2 yrs under his wings...time to see what he can do now.

It will be nice to see two S from the same DIV go into the HOF.