• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Appeal to Last Into the Season

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Curran reported last night that Tom Brady's appeal could last into the NFL Season. He's thinking that Brady may play the first four games and then Goodell will drop the suspension to one game. Of course the one game will be the next one and that's the game against the Colts.

Several reasons......

If the league sticks with four games and hears the appeal quickly, Brady will most likely go to court. Federal Court is slow and the trail will not get scheduled much before 2016 and most likely March 2016. Brady gets to play the entire year.

If the league hears the appeal quickly, the league must give an answer within 10 days. Which will lead to the above.

Sponsors are concerned that ratings will suffer if Brady is suspended, especially the ones who have multi-million dollar ads lined up for the opener at Gillette against the Steelers and the anticipated unveiling of the Championship Flag. If Brady is suspended, ceremony will not take place and the Patriots could mute the entire proceeding. Sponsors want this solved and so do the networks.

Most important to the NFL, they do not want to look bad. Problem is if they delay, they look incompetent, of they speed it up, they could open a can of snakes........

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Tom Brady appeal won't be heard by Wednesday

by Shawn Krest | CBSSports.com

Mon, 25 May 2015 8:21 PM ET

187741.jpg

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's appeal won't be heard by Wednesday, the Associated Press reported, citing sources.
Brady is appealing his four-game suspension as a result of the investigation into deflated footballs prior to the AFC Championship Game.

The NFL collective bargaining agreement requires appeals to be heard within 10 days, a window that expires on Wednesday. As of Monday, no hearing had been scheduled.

Appeals can be heard after the 10-day window, if the league and players union agree to extend the deadline, which is likely to occur in the Brady case.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think if Brady doesn't play in the opener that viewership will be even higher. People will want to see if the Patriots can win without him. Throw in the game will be so hyped up because all that people are talking about this entire off season is that of Brady and deflategate. Heck within a week of one of the biggest events of the entire NFL season in the draft nobody was even talking about it because of this. So I think either way of whether he plays or doesn't will still get very high viewership.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see him missing the Colts game!! On a Sunday night. Not gonna happen.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think if Brady doesn't play in the opener that viewership will be even higher. People will want to see if the Patriots can win without him. Throw in the game will be so hyped up because all that people are talking about this entire off season is that of Brady and deflategate. Heck within a week of one of the biggest events of the entire NFL season in the draft nobody was even talking about it because of this. So I think either way of whether he plays or doesn't will still get very high viewership.

I think the interest in seeing how the Pats do with Garrapolo pitching will be very high if it happens.
I don't think much of the viewing audience will be there to hear about deflategate. We are all pretty tired of this crap. Not having Blount or Bell will be interesting to see how that works out.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the interest in seeing how the Pats do with Garrapolo pitching will be very high if it happens.
I don't think much of the viewing audience will be there to hear about deflategate. We are all pretty tired of this crap. Not having Blount or Bell will be interesting to see how that works out.

I guess they could sell it as the game of suspensions. Crazy how many could be missing that game of big name guys. Like I said though it would still have plenty of interest. People will want to see if the Pats can survive without Brady. Throw in everybody loves seeing the Champ go down. I actually think NE with being at home wins that game even without Brady or Blount. I think some people will be disappointed come Friday morning with the result.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have cash on Brady playing week one... hoping litigation continues into the Fall. Bedard is saying Brady is still pretty angry.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is playing right into where the NFL wants this to go. They want to suspend him for the stretch run of the season. I am willing to bet on that.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is playing right into where the NFL wants this to go. They want to suspend him for the stretch run of the season. I am willing to bet on that.

I can assure you that this will never happen. Brady's legal team has already looked at every possible scenario and if Goodell tried to pull this off, Brady would be in court within 15 minutes and get a "Stay". Then the penalty would placed on hold until March 2016 and Goodell would be spending another year looking like the buffoon that he looked like in 2015.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can assure you that this will never happen. Brady's legal team has already looked at every possible scenario and if Goodell tried to pull this off, Brady would be in court within 15 minutes and get a "Stay". Then the penalty would placed on hold until March 2016 and Goodell would be spending another year looking like the buffoon that he looked like in 2015.

Ah! I never thought of that...

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll find out towards the end of June - when the appeal is scheduled. Since training camp starts mid-July, I would fully expect that Kessler will schedule a hearing on an injunction before the appeal (posturing mainly). Then, if the appeal is not satisfactory they can go further. Then the league will no doubt appeal the injunction (if granted).

I don't think anything is going to be settled for a while - unless Brady accepts a reduced or vacated suspension during the appeal. From what I'm hearing, Brady is pissed and it's more probable than not that he won't settle for a reduced suspension. Guess we'll find out in late June.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS announced today that the appeal is scheduled to be heard on June 23rd.

Funny isn't it, thet the NFL couldn't live by their own rules and hear the appeal within 10 days. They need an extra 27 days to schedule the appeal. Or should I say, they need an extra 27 days to get their preparation for the appeal in order. 4 Game suspension and $1.8M fine for not turning over his cell phone or any emails or texts.

And for all of those people who kept saying that Brady can't take anything to court.......wrong again. Interesting piece in the Wall Street Journal about the number of different suits that could be filed from false accusation to libel to slander to fraud.

NorEEzta

Behold: A Pale Horse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny isn't it, thet the NFL couldn't live by their own rules and hear the appeal within 10 days. They need an extra 27 days to schedule the appeal. Or should I say, they need an extra 27 days to get their preparation for the appeal in order. 4 Game suspension and $1.8M fine for not turning over his cell phone or any emails or texts.

And for all of those people who kept saying that Brady can't take anything to court.......wrong again. Interesting piece in the Wall Street Journal about the number of different suits that could be filed from false accusation to libel to slander to fraud.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually the NFL does this all the time where they decide it is better for both parties to have a little more time. Both sides have to agree to the appeal being moved so this is just as much Brady's side wanting it moved as that of the NFL. Heck look at Bell for the Steelers. He filed his appeal a long time ago if I remember right and a date still has yet to be set for his hearing.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the NFL does this all the time where they decide it is better for both parties to have a little more time. Both sides have to agree to the appeal being moved so this is just as much Brady's side wanting it moved as that of the NFL. Heck look at Bell for the Steelers. He filed his appeal a long time ago if I remember right and a date still has yet to be set for his hearing.

There was back and forth on the dates from both camps. Brady's camp wanted it in June so they would have some time to get an injunction, post appeal - I am assuming before mid-July and the start of training camp.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was back and forth on the dates from both camps. Brady's camp wanted it in June so they would have some time to get an injunction, post appeal - I am assuming before mid-July and the start of training camp.

Which is what I was saying. Both sides were a part of this. It wasn't like the NFL came and said "hey we won't be ready in 10 days so we have to push this back." Usually both sides like to push it back a little to make sure to be as prepared as possible.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very interesting commentary last night about the appeal. Commentator stated that he believes that Roger Goodell has stated multiple times that he will hear the appeal and he wants to hear what Tom Brady has to say. He's also said on several occasions that he'd be more than willing to talk to Brady.

This guy says that he believes that Goodell is literally begging Brady to come in, lay down his sword and have a conversation so that Goodell can extend an olive branch. He thinks that Goodell has already made up his mind not to eliminate or reduce the suspension. He knows the Wells Report is a useless, $4M piece of paper. The report offers no concrete evidence of tampering with the footballs by anyone, primarily Tom Brady. There is no evidence that Tom Brady instructed anyone to tamper or adjust the footballs. If Brady goes in and talks to Goodell, he can come out and say that after discussing the issue with Brady and that he believes that Brady had nothing to do with underinflating the balls, he is revoking the suspension. This commentator doesn't believe that will happen because Brady has the NFLPA and Kessler controlling everything behind the scenes.

He also believes that the appeal hearing will not be cordial. He thinks that Goodell will uphold the suspension and make the announcement on Friday July 3rd. Perfect time right before the biggest summer holiday with 90% of Americans getting Friday the 3rd off.

He also thinks things will be quiet until Tuesday July 21st when Brady and the NFLPA will file suit in Federal Appeals Court. The court will take 2-3 weeks to review the suit and probably around August 12th will suspend the NFL Commissioner's decision and request all parties appear before the court sometime around 21st. The appeals court will then take everything into consideration and may declare Goodell an unfair participant because he authorized the Wells Investigation and therefore had a bias in insuring it's part in Brady's suspension for "Obstructing" said investigation. The court could then revoke Brady's suspension.

If this occurs, then the NFL owners have to make a decision........do they allow Goodell to spend $100M of their money to attempt to clear his name and try to reinstate Brady's suspension or do they say, you had your chance to clean this thing up Rog and you blew it. We ain't spending $100M to make you look good and possibly seeing this head further into the court system and spending a $1B to say that "generally", "probably", and "maybe" are words that the NFL wants to associate with their game.