• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anybody own an Expidition?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or A Navigator?

I inherited a grandfather clock and need to retrieve it from Massachusetts and bring to Tennessee.
I have been advised by a couple professional clock makers that I should not leave this task to a "professional" shipping crew consisting of two gibroni's and their crack head.

So, last time I attempted to rent a U-Haul/Ryder van, not a box truck, one way they said no way.
Might have changed since then, but they said a certain Timothy McVeigh ruined the chances of one way van rentals.

That said, I may rent an Expedition if I can lay the clock down behind the front seats.

Does anyone know the length of the rear from closed hatch to back of rear seats?

And no to Tahoe/Suburban, not a flat floor.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I obviously fat brained the spelling of Expedition...at least once, and the edit feature doesn't let me edit the thread title.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rental company might be the best resource as it could be a little different from one yr to the next.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or A Navigator?

I inherited a grandfather clock and need to retrieve it from Massachusetts and bring to Tennessee.
I have been advised by a couple professional clock makers that I should not leave this task to a "professional" shipping crew consisting of two gibroni's and their crack head.

So, last time I attempted to rent a U-Haul/Ryder van, not a box truck, one way they said no way.
Might have changed since then, but they said a certain Timothy McVeigh ruined the chances of one way van rentals.

That said, I may rent an Expedition if I can lay the clock down behind the front seats.

Does anyone know the length of the rear from closed hatch to back of rear seats?

And no to Tahoe/Suburban, not a flat floor.
In case you haven't already looked into it, this like will help you prep the guts of the clock so it doesn't get destroyed during the trip. Might want to haul it standing straight up if its an older clock? :thumb:

Moving a Grandfather Clock - How to move a grandfather clock.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rental company might be the best resource as it could be a little different from one yr to the next.

Nah, Expeditions been the same since '05 or '06.
Called Ford and Enterprise, both said they had no idea and to come down and measure it.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you haven't already looked into it, this like will help you prep the guts of the clock so it doesn't get destroyed during the trip. Might want to haul it standing straight up if its an older clock? :thumb:

Moving a Grandfather Clock - How to move a grandfather clock.

Thanks Gooch, I have talked to a few about this particular clock.

Remove the pendulum, the weights, and the actual clock workings from the hood.
Wrap all individually in bubble wrap, lay the case down, again, wrapped in bubble wrap and shipping blankets.

Good on that, deciding on mode of transport is only detail left.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, Expeditions been the same since '05 or '06.
Called Ford and Enterprise, both said they had no idea and to come down and measure it.

Oh...that figures...at the end of the day...I thought calling the rental co. was the best thing...surprised they wouldn't measure it for you.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just put it on the roof of your car...like a freshly shot deer or Christmas tree.