• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anybody else catch "Elton John: I'm Still Standing" on CBS last night?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a very good tribute by a plethora of artists from many genres. Even though it only had Elton's name in the title, they also paid their respects to his longtime co-writer, Bernie Taupin.

The two-hour show started out with a solid version of "The Bitch is Back" by Miley Cyrus and ended with Sir Elton John himself going onstage to close the show with a trio of numbers. There was also a touching tribute read aloud from a letter Elton had written to an 18-year-old who befriended Elton before he died back in 1990.

The show-stopper had to be the performance of "Rocket Man" by Little Big Town. It was absolutely awesome. The band should consider releasing it as a single & putting it in their live shows. Miranda Lambert's performance of "My Father's Gun" might also make a good single if it can be re-mixed so that the instrumentals don't overpower her singing. John legend did a nice job, too, but I forgot which song he covered.

It was one of the best 'tribute' shows I've ever watched. Unlike what usually crops up during the Grammys and the Oscars, there really wasn't a bad performance. Just a few - Lady Gaga being one - that outshone the others.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a very good tribute by a plethora of artists from many genres. Even though it only had Elton's name in the title, they also paid their respects to his longtime co-writer, Bernie Taupin.

The two-hour show started out with a solid version of "The Bitch is Back" by Miley Cyrus and ended with Sir Elton John himself going onstage to close the show with a trio of numbers. There was also a touching tribute read aloud from a letter Elton had written to an 18-year-old who befriended Elton before he died back in 1990.

The show-stopper had to be the performance of "Rocket Man" by Little Big Town. It was absolutely awesome. The band should consider releasing it as a single & putting it in their live shows. Miranda Lambert's performance of "My Father's Gun" might also make a good single if it can be re-mixed so that the instrumentals don't overpower her singing. John legend did a nice job, too, but I forgot which song he covered.

It was one of the best 'tribute' shows I've ever watched. Unlike what usually crops up during the Grammys and the Oscars, there really wasn't a bad performance. Just a few - Lady Gaga being one - that outshone the others.
Didn't see it, but thanks for posting. I love Elton, and I really like covers of songs too, so I'll check it out.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did like the country reimagining that Little Big Town did of "Rocket Man," but I probably prefer the original owing to it being such a classic, at least on first listen. But a very good cover.

Holy shit, Pink and Logic's cover of "Bennie and the Jets" is fucking amazing. Well, I don't like Logic's part (if they're going with an original verse from a hip-hop artist- why not Eminem, especially considering him and Elton's relationship?) but Pink is amazing. I'm seeing her in Philly on Friday, I pray she'll perform this. Incredible.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My wife had it on, but I only caught the very end.
I hit record so I can watch the full show tonight. Thanks for the vote of confidence that it is worth watching.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, Pink and Logic's cover of "Bennie and the Jets" is fucking amazing. Well, I don't like Logic's part (if they're going with an original verse from a hip-hop artist- why not Eminem, especially considering him and Elton's relationship?) but Pink is amazing. I'm seeing her in Philly on Friday, I pray she'll perform this. Incredible.

Thanks for sharing, but that's about the worst re-imagining I have ever heard of a classic EJ song. Now I have to find something else to listen to to erase it from my mind.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, I didn't watch.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing, but that's about the worst re-imagining I have ever heard of a classic EJ song. Now I have to find something else to listen to to erase it from my mind.

Went to the "Lost Oldies" thread & listened to "Time of the Season" by the Zombies. That cured the crappy hip-hop hangover.