• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Antonio Pierce on 49ers defense

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I place any value in what he has to say, but this morning on First Take he said that this 49ers defense is the best he's seen since the 2000 Ravens.

What do you guys think?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well, the '02 Buccs would be hard to top.

The thing is every single starter the Niners have on D has the potential to have a top 3 or 5 year at their respective positions, so he could be pretty close to right. However, with all the rule changes I don't think any defense will hold teams to as few points as the '00 Ravens did. The Niners' D might do as well against the average though.

Man, I wish I kept that research I did on defenses against the average. The one thing I miss about the old forum is that, at one time, you could search through your posts by key word.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early to tell, but I sure hope when its all said and done after a Super Bowl Championship... the 49ers have done enough to enter into that discussion.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Way too early to tell, but I sure hope when its all said and done after a Super Bowl Championship... the 49ers have done enough to enter into that discussion.

Especially 'cause the Packers & VaGiants both lost.

Off topic, but how exciting would it be if the Niners & Cowboys faced each other in the NFC Championship game again? Those would be some expensive tickets. If it happens, I'm going.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh yeah, the Steelers lost too. But I thought they would 'cause they had so many injuries.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Off topic, but how exciting would it be if the Niners & Cowboys faced each other in the NFC Championship game again? Those would be some expensive tickets. If it happens, I'm going.

Beating the Packers and the Cowboys on the way to a Super Bowl? That'd be incredible.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I place any value in what he has to say, but this morning on First Take he said that this 49ers defense is the best he's seen since the 2000 Ravens.

What do you guys think?

Run defense - Absolutely! Pass defense - Not even close!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Beating the Packers and the Cowboys on the way to a Super Bowl? That'd be incredible.

My dream is one day the Niner beat the Cowboys in the NFC Championship game en route to beating the Raiders in the superbowl. Not only would it break my 2 least favourite teams' hearts, but people in Oakland would probably burn the city down, which would be nice for California. :)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dream is one day the Niner beat the Cowboys in the NFC Championship game en route to beating the Raiders in the superbowl. Not only would it break my 2 least favourite teams' hearts, but people in Oakland would probably burn the city down, which would be nice for California. :)

That's funny

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I'd rather the Cowboys continue to get their hearts broken in the regular season. That feeling I get is or would be better than anything I'd get by seeing them beat in the playoffs, including a loss by the 49ers.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run defense - Absolutely! Pass defense - Not even close!

Yeah their front 7 is the best I've ever seen. The secondary isn't too shabby either, but I don't think it's close to the best ever. As a whole though the stats say it's (talkin 2011) pretty much as good as it gets.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is probably a mistake to try and hold them to the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears, secondary wise. The game has changed so much in favor of passing games that its pretty darn impossible for a secondary to be dominant.

In 2000, it was a question of which 3 or 4 guys would throw for 4000 yards. 2000 NFL Passing Stats. Now today, the question is which 3 or 4 guys will throw for 5,000 yards 2011 NFL Passing Stats

In 1985, only Marino had over 4,000 yards 1985 NFL Passing stats

So, its kind of unfair to expect the 49ers secondary to match those guys when the rules stack the deck against them.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah their front 7 is the best I've ever seen. The secondary isn't too shabby either, but I don't think it's close to the best ever. As a whole though the stats say it's (talkin 2011) pretty much as good as it gets.

Absolutely! You know what is mind blowing about our front seven, Hate - we played much/most of yesterday's game without the most formidible part of it and still just owned GB's running game. Our front-seven is just FLAT NASTY!!!

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For a typical fan, that's quite a splurge. For you, that's like buying a mansion! But I agree, I would have to go. Might drop a kidney to do it.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely! You know what is mind blowing about our front seven, Hate - we played much/most of yesterday's game without the most formidible part of it and still just owned GB's running game. Our front-seven is just FLAT NASTY!!!

That's true!! Our front 6/7 is better than everyone else's 7/7!! Even our backups are top notch. Gotta give credit to the coaching staff/FO for some of this awesome too.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true!! Our front 6/7 is better than everyone else's 7/7!! Even our backups are top notch. Gotta give credit to the coaching staff/FO for some of this awesome too.

You are giving credit where credit is due, my brutha - well said!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats tough for me at least, is that back then, teams valued the run game game as much as pass.... today, it's become a passing league but even more so vs our Niners since the run game is near extinct against our front 7...

It's the only way to move the chains against us quite honestly. So those #s will be high by default. Pts wise, we could be great but nothing like Ravens great. We'll give up the yards(pass) but not so much the pts.

but its a big compliment thats for sure. The Ravens defense in 2000 wasn't historically famous until they won the super bowl with it. So let's win the Super Bowl and discuss then.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You guys just gave me an erection seeing that our team is being talked about in that manner. Any topic relating to GOAT is flattering (is Willis the greatest of all time, is Justin the greatest 3-4 end of all time), especially when it involves your team. You normally see that word GOAT when singling out a particular player - but its rare when it's an entire unit. Which is why my d*ck got hard.

Yesterday Calamity was blasting us constently with his GIF of Harbaugh. So as a result I'm going to remain consistent with my question as well:

Is it possible we go undefeated this year?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys just gave me an erection seeing that our team is being talked about in that manner. Any topic relating to GOAT is flattering (is Willis the greatest of all time, is Justin the greatest 3-4 end of all time), especially when it involves your team. You normally see that word GOAT when singling out a particular player - but its rare when it's an entire unit. Which is why my d*ck got hard.

Yesterday Calamity was blasting us constently with his GIF of Harbaugh. So as a result I'm going to remain consistent with my question as well:

Is it possible we go undefeated this year?

Not without much more luck (lower case) than would otherwise be normal for an undefeated team. I think those who predicted between 11-13 wins for 2012 are sitting on a winning bet.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got tix for the Bears/Niners game 11/19.

Should be a doozy.