• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anthony Davis

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense, but if Davis wins the RG spot this would make us extremely thin at OT. Who's gonna backup Staley and Boone? Derek Hall or Mike Person?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense, but if Davis wins the RG spot this would make us extremely thin at OT. Who's gonna backup Staley and Boone? Derek Hall or Mike Person?

I guess Davis would have to kick back out to RT and one of the youngins would go in at G.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Davis would have to kick back out to RT and one of the youngins would go in at G.

In that case, I'd rather just leave Davis at RT and have Kilgore/Looney battle it out inside.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that case, I'd rather just leave Davis at RT and have Kilgore/Looney battle it out inside.

Me too but if somehow Boone shows he is a better all around RT then we should move Davis inside.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too but if somehow Boone shows he is a better all around RT then we should move Davis inside.

Or move him to the bench and let him be the OT backup with Kilgore/Looney inside at RG.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like moving Davis from the RT position that he IMO locked down last season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Or move him to the bench and let him be the OT backup with Kilgore/Looney inside at RG.

agree, if Boone is so good now, then he can start over Davis. he can also start over Staley if he's better than him too?

if we had NOBODY to try out at RG, then ok........we'd consider this kind of move? but since we do have two guys to try out, try them out first.

OT"s are very valuable and i'd rather have Boone concentrating on it. as it is, he has to practice left and right, and have to prepare for opposing DE's. are we going to ask him to re-learn a new position, re-learn chemistry from inside?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davis seemed to me improving quite a bit at the tackle position. I'd hate to give up on the potential there. He's very young still(only 22 yrs old)

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same time, Davis' style of play could make him an All pro at rg.

There were a couple of us that were calling for this EXACT move last season. I think Boone played very well last season at both tackle positions, he looked every bit like starter material.

Davis has experience at guard, I don't se it as a demotion, I see it as a coach maximizing the teams talent.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is much much much more likely that Boone is the starting RG when the season starts.

Even this article says it is a long shot.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if staley or boone got hurt davis would go back to RT. better to have our best 5 start and worry about injuries later. hopefully we can sign a decent back up in case something happens after june cuts.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if staley or boone got hurt davis would go back to RT. better to have our best 5 start and worry about injuries later. hopefully we can sign a decent back up in case something happens after june cuts.

So if one of our OTs gets hurt we'd have to replace TWO positions, not just one? No thanks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if i was a player, pretty sure i'd do better focusing on one spot? its enough pressure to keep improving myself there, its added pressure to make sure i'm in sync with the guy(s) next to me, and i can only study so many guys across from me?

after practicing and preparing for a game all week, you expect me to move one spot over in the middle of a game, AND play to a high level?

we fans like to move players around like it doesn't matter to players. then EXPECT they perform on cue? anyways, not against moving players around, but in this case i don't see why? does "five best linemen" assume they can be moved at will? what if three are best but only if they're all at OT?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is much much much more likely that Boone is the starting RG when the season starts.

Even this article says it is a long shot.

A 6'7" RG? Yeah, not gonna happen.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 6'7" RG? Yeah, not gonna happen.

It's been done before, not unheard of. The name that pops into my head right away is Kevan Gogan, I'm sure there are more but I'd have to research it more when I have time.

It's already been said that he is going to get the opportunity so it's not out of the realm of possibility for the team.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Niners' RG opening
10:35AM ET
San Francisco 49ers

With Chilo Rachal and Adam Snyder gone, the San Francisco 49ers have a hole to fill at RG, and our previous post on the topic made note of the report that OTs Alex Boone and Anthony Davis were possibilities for the spot. But there was also some thought that the club could invest a draft pick in a player who could project to filling the role.

Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area updates the situation following the draft, making note of the fact that there are now conceivably four potential starters on the roster: Davis, Boone, Daniel Kilgore and fourth-round pick Joe Looney, and that Boone is perhaps the front-runner at this early juncture.

The decision will obviously be based upon what happens for the duration of the offseason program and training camp, and this figures to be an exciting battle.

- Tim Kavanagh​

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The article says the team has not ruled out moving Davis to RG and Boone to tackle. That is a pretty far cry from considering it.