• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

another good 30 thoughts from Friedman

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
CBCSports.ca | Elliotte Friedman | All eyes on 1 agency, plus 30 thoughts

4. One GM on the Oilers: "Everything they do will be about putting Taylor Hall in the best position to succeed." Doesn't sound like the Kings want a ton for Ryan Smyth (The Los Angeles Times reported it could be a mid-round draft pick), but the question the Oilers should be asking themselves is, "Can Smyth make Hall a better player?" If the answer is yes, they should do it.

5. Considering the level of disappointment the Vancouver organization had with the refereeing in the Stanley Cup Final, the Sedins showed an unbelievable amount of class by skating over to the officials after the handshakes and thanking them. According to one source, their comments were along the lines of, "We know that a lot gets said. This is an emotional time and you shouldn't take all of it personally." And, if anyone thinks that makes them soft, the two Flyers who did the same thing last year were Mike Richards and Chris Pronger.

16. In September 2005, right out of the lockout, reigning Calder Trophy winner Andrew Raycroft had a contract dispute with the Bruins. So, Boston offered Thomas, who was playing in Finland, the first one-way contract of his NHL existence. He refused. "He didn't think he'd get a fair shot," Zito said. "He said, 'I'm going to make my family move again? No.' We had to convince him to take it. Then, they sent him down to Providence and with recallable waivers, it didn't look like he'd get back to Boston all year." But Raycroft struggled and Hannu Toivonen hurt his ankle. That's when Thomas took over. What's crazier? That it took so long for Boston to hand him the net, or that any other team could have claimed him on waivers?

26. Six clubs (Islanders, Atlanta, Colorado, St. Louis, Edmonton and Florida) that had 2010-11 payrolls below next season's floor. Teams are going to use bonuses to get there next season, since they will count immediately against the cap.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. One more note on Weber: If he doesn't get signed long-term, he, Ryan Suter and Pekka Rinne are UFAs next year. They are three critical pieces, but could count for 40 per cent of the team's payroll.

C'mon David Poille, relax guy... you don't need Ryan Suter... just let him walk next year...
5. Considering the level of disappointment the Vancouver organization had with the refereeing in the Stanley Cup Final, the Sedins showed an unbelievable amount of class by skating over to the officials after the handshakes and thanking them. According to one source, their comments were along the lines of, "We know that a lot gets said. This is an emotional time and you shouldn't take all of it personally." And, if anyone thinks that makes them soft, the two Flyers who did the same thing last year were Mike Richards and Chris Pronger.

That takes a lot of intestinal fortitude. Much respect to the robots for that move.

3. Nathan Horton poured "Garden Ice" on the Rogers Arena surface before Game 7. NHL ice guru Dan Craig said long-time Oilers equipment man Sparky Kulchisky did something similar in 1988, with Snapple bottles. Edmonton went 5-2 on the road.

Holy shit, I forgot about Snapple. I thought they discontinued it when Rush Limbaugh died. I always love a drink with a name that close to a slang term for vagina.

14. Another good luck charm: Kit Kat restaurant in downtown Toronto has a "Tree of Heaven" growing through its kitchen. (In Latin, it's called an Ailanthus Altissima.) Apparently, Tim Thomas kept a piece of bark from it in his stall.

He also keeps the first hubcap he ever stole growing up on the streets of Flint.

19. One NHL player was asked who was going to win Game 7: "I don't know. I'll be sick to my stomach either way."

Had to be a Francophone, huh? :D