• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andy, Cam, and Carson

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Dalton and Cam Newton were both drafted in 2011. And surprisingly, their careers sort of mirror each other. They have very similar numbers (though Cam, by virtue of his athleticism, has better numbers with the addition of his rushing ability). Both had an outstanding 2015. And neither has done much since 2015.

Dalton was having a MVP looking season before going down to injury. He's been very pedestrian since.

Newton would be named MVP in 2015 before being physically and mentally destroyed in front of the world by Wade Phillips the Denver Broncos during Super Bowl 50. And he's also been pedestrian ever since.

Were Dalton and Newton one year wonders? Would Dalton have remained on an upward trajectory if he stayed healthy? Was Cam's confidence completely deflated during SB 50? Will either rebound as they close out their prime years?

Which leads me to Carson Wentz. Kid looks like quite the QB. He was having an MVP season in his second year only to go down with an injury. And while last year he had a statistically strong performance, the Eagles were only 5-6 in his 11 starts before another injury ended his season prematurely. And though Wentz maintained impressive numbers before going down, I do wonder if Carson will find himself in the Dalton/Newton range of QBs, where he looks good on paper but can't seem to lead his team to greatness. Wentz's health is the big question mark moving forward.

If he struggles to stay healthy, at best he'll be Tony Romo 2.0. Statistically impressive, though not much to show for it. And at worst, he could find himself in the Dalton/Newton range. Had a big season, but couldn't keep it up and ends up in the middle of the road.

Will Carson be known as a pedestrian QB when all is said and done? He's young, so he has plenty of time to prove he's a franchise QB. Time will ultimately tell. As for now, I'd say he is above average but needs to prove he can consistently start 16 games.

Will he be great, or will he flounder to the middle with Cam and Andy? We'll see.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One big difference is Carson was a better prospect than either guy.

Cam always had a limited ceiling due to his style, but a really nice floor. Most people had that backwards at the time, but the proof is in the pudding.

Dalton played for a cute little offense in Texas, went in the second round.

Mirroring Cam is the injury concerns because of the way they play. You'd certainly hope for more longevity and consistency than Cam has shown.

Mirroring Dalton, he had a big year but couldn't repeat it. Dalton never has, Carson is expected to.

One big advantage for Carson is the team and coach that he went to. Cam and Dalton never had that. Doug Pederson is a machine. Almost every QB around him gets better.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I tend to agree, but maybe not according to the team that took Cam #1 overall :noidea:

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Possibly. Though the Panthers though enough of Cam Newton to invest the No. 1 overall pick in him. That isn't to say that no team felt as highly about Carson. But either way, both were seen as having franchise potential as both were early 1st round picks.

Dalton was certainpy seen as a developmental QB being taken in the 2nd. Safe to say he's at least met, if not exceeded expectations of the average 2nd round QB.

You'd certainly hope for more longevity and consistency than Cam has shown.

For a QB that runs a lot, Cam has been remarkably healthy. He's started all 122 games he has played in compared to Dalton's 120. As I stated, their numbers are very similar.

One big advantage for Carson is the team and coach that he went to. Cam and Dalton never had that.

Cam has had good coaching. Ron Rivera is no pushover. Though, as he is a defensive guy, he's probably not as heavy an influence on the developement of Cam as you'd hope your HC to be.

And Dalton had his near MVP season umder the guidance of Hue Jackson, who despite his failures as a head coach, is a decent offensive mind. Had Hie stuck around Cincy after 2015, it's certainly could have been possible to see Dalton produce at a similar level having kept the same coordinator and thus system. Though we'll never know as that's not how it turned out.

If Wentz can stay healthy, he should be better than both Cam and Andy. If not, it would be hard not to make the comparison.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Carson clown can only hope to have half of the career that And has had.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the teams they play for. None of their teams have had more than flash in the pan success, otherwise years of mediocrity or worse.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Carson Wentz is a true ginger. I see redder tones from time to time, and I don't think that this is natural sun highlights. Until proven otherwise, I would strongly consider the possibility that he colors his hair, or at least does a wash. NOT A TRUE GINGER.